Nobody I know uses standalone digital cameras anymore, they just use their phones

This saddens me, somehow.

I feel like it's a step backwards...most standalone digital cameras at least had zoom lenses!
Tagged:

Comments

• cameras are expensive
  • My oldest younger brother is really into photography and has a digital camera his dad bought him.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I guess the thing is that we've hit the point where mobile phone cameras are comparable to, or in some cases even better than, the digital cameras people already have, and so people are just choosing to use their phones.

But, I dunno, as nice as the camera on my phone is, I still miss certain features from my real camera...it has an 18x zoom lens so I don't have to be close to things to frame my shots the way I like, it has a xenon flash instead of that lame little LED that phones use as a flash...and I can fiddle with the shutter speed and aperture, though I understand that most people don't know/care about those settings.
  • Jane said:

My oldest younger brother is really into photography and has a digital camera his dad bought him.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, Jane is right. Also, more advanced digital cameras can be used like movie cameras in addition to allowing a wide range of still photography options, so it's not like the device is dead.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    My dad used to use standalone digital cameras all the time.

Otherwise, it does seem to be a trend that most people just use their phones. We actually stopped carrying cameras in-store over the past few years because of this.
  • kill living beings

and I can fiddle with the shutter speed and aperture

this is the main reason i'd get a standalone camera. i mean i'm sure there's some way to do things like this with my phone, but i don't know what it is and it probably sucks with the touchscreen
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Same.