The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    In 2013 the new owners of Hostess staged what they called "THE SWEETEST COMEBACK IN THE HISTORY OF EVER"
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    whew!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2021-10-31 16:12:11

be imaginative, think of someone new

well, i just did

I wasn't really planning on it, but also, it's not like it requires a lot of effort, so if people wanna do it, I'll do it.

Hi Centie, may I please have a name change for like half a day to "Shimarin"?
  • edited 2021-10-31 16:15:47
    Ali_Roz said:

I am interested!

Also, pinging you because I'm doing this.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know. I kind of feel like doing it now would be unfair to Aliroz and Imicow, who wanted to do it earlier but weren't offered the choice.
  • Well it's okay if you don't feel like it.
    I don't really care either way

actually, if you change glenn's name then please make mine Elvira just for today, because why not
    You know what? Sure. Anarchy in the Heapers' Hangout
    it's coming sometime
  • *makes a small fire and sits around it drinking hot chocolate*
  • (also thank you Princess)
  • Aw, dern, I missed something.
  • edited 2021-11-07 03:46:56
    I just rolled Fossilmaiden's eponym in Mudae.  (I didn't claim the character, though; by the time I had finished looking up the character out of curiosity the claim period had already expired.)

(For anyone who doesn't know, Mudae is a character-claiming gacha game on Discord.  It just has thousands of characters that you can "roll" to randomly generate.  One of them is "Fossil Maiden" from Hellsinker..)
    Does anybody else feel like HH has been kind of slow lately?

Like, in the sense of pages taking longer to load, not in the sense of lack of activity, though the latter is definitely true
    I have not experienced this
    Do you think when Ken Jennings first signed up to be a Jeopardy! contestant in 2004, he had any idea that from that moment on he was going to spend the rest of his life as "The Jeopardy! Guy"?

Including hosting the first games to air after Alex Trebek's passing?
  • People talk about getting advertisements specifically targeted to be relevant to them, but I'm getting Youtube advertisements for things I haven't ever needed, wanted, done an internet search about, or even been thinking about, and which make me uncomfortable.

Sometimes I just want to watch a video on how to fix a vacuum cleaner without having to wonder why the Youtube Algorithm thinks I ought to get advertisements for polyamory relationship counseling and breakfast restaurants.
  • YouTube sometimes just recommends me currently-generally-popular/trending videos.
    Eight years ago today, Gannett closed on its purchase of Belo and a certain Monica promised us she’d raise it hight… Our profit ;)
    Monica
    she had nice bits
    -gets in-
  • -launches Imipolex out with a catapult-
    oh man, like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • edited 2021-12-25 17:09:51

Christmas break
  • Not long until the new year!
  • Happy new year.
    yay public domain
  • The fact that any books I would write would inevitably enter the public domain is a significant part of why I no longer wish to write books.

If I did write books, it would be mostly for the purpose of making money for the publisher, because publishing companies are good and I love them, but I would also be writing for the sake of making money for myself and my kin, and the public domain ensures that eventually my books would serve neither purpose.

It also would allow future generations to do whatever they want with my work, a horrifying prospect which is also a good argument for never creating anything.
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Ali_Roz said:

The fact that any books I would write would inevitably enter the public domain is a significant part of why I no longer wish to write books.

If I did write books, it would be mostly for the purpose of making money for the publisher, because publishing companies are good and I love them, but I would also be writing for the sake of making money for myself and my kin, and the public domain ensures that eventually my books would serve neither purpose.

It also would allow future generations to do whatever they want with my work, a horrifying prospect which is also a good argument for never creating anything.
    You're like a constant downer, huh.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    No no, it just doesn't want to admit to not having anything worth writing.
    I do not share this viewpoint in the least.
  • ^^, ^^^ I think I died long ago and you two are my eternal punishment.
    Ali_Roz said:

The fact that any books I would write would inevitably enter the public domain is a significant part of why I no longer wish to write books.

I'm curious to know how you feel about modern works based on public domain works. Surely there are some you enjoy?
  • edited 2022-01-02 01:36:15

Ali_Roz said:

I'm curious to know how you feel about modern works based on public domain works. Surely there are some you enjoy?
    The crux of my thoughts on this is the distinction between "public domain works" and "modern works". I don't much like the idea of the latter becoming the former (for example, A. A. Milne's Winnie The Pooh is, to me, a modern work, where Herman Melville's Moby Dick isn't), in the same way I don't much like the idea of the former becoming the latter (I suppose this is another way in which I dislike change).

My enjoyment is irrelevant, the fact that I enjoy something does not necessarily justify it (and the fact that I think-I-ought-not-to-do something does not necessarily make-it-wrong-for-other-people-to-do something).
  • Furthermore, I think that, given the (to-some-extent) monopolistic/oligopolistic state of non-print books (eBooks and Audiobooks), the public domain functions as an IP catalog for Audible/Amazon or their equivalents.  My works would only be providing a source of money for my publisher and family for a handful of decades after I die, and then after that, they're making money for whoever distributes them or controls the means of their distribution or makes works based off of them (for comparison, a sufficiently long-lived fruit tree could still be owned and managed by the heirs of the heirs of my heirs).

I think most modern-works-based-on-public-domain-works are done in innocent creativity and thus are not necessarily less "worthy" than modern-works-not-based-on-public-domain-works, but some are less pure-hearted.
  • edited 2022-01-02 02:48:14
    Triplepost toast, unlike copyright, has no expiration date.    Nutritionists do not recommend excessive consumption of triplepost content, as the fiber from such is associated with an increase in crudposts.  Moderators of certain forums have been known to react poorly to triplepost toast.
    Personally I would only be interested in the creativity aspect of it, not making money for my heirs (which won't exist anyway) or publishers.

That's just my view though
  • That is an entirely valid view, one which I think many authors share.  The fact that I don't have that view anymore means that (in my opinion) whatever fiction-books I write would feel to me like they were "impure" rather than coming from "innocent creativity".  If the point is the material gain and providing for others, there are things I'm better at which I have fewer qualms with, but, well, that's just my view.
    Understandable.
  • Ali_Roz said:

Nah, unless you go back in time and publish them before steamboat willie came out they'll be copyrighted for eternity.

Ali_Roz said:

Nah, unless you go back in time and publish them before steamboat willie came out they'll be copyrighted for eternity.

Disney’s running out of time…

2024 is two years away!
  • I am being MOCKED by a dog food commercial

MOCKED I SAY!
    8luh.