The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sickness will surely take the mind
    where minds can't usually go
    come on the amazing journey
    and learn all you should know
  • There’s not gonna be a sitewide April Fools gag this year, in case any of the 4 people who still use this forum were wondering about that.

I just can’t be bothered to think up anything that would actually be funny, let alone implement it.

I would do the thing where I keep talking about “my brilliant April Fools gag” but don’t actually change anything, but we did that one a few years ago and it wasn’t all that funny.

dont worry I have a genius apirl fool planned
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Today marks the tenth anniversary of when @Anonus and I fused

April 2, 2011
    happy 10th
  • edited 2021-04-03 00:11:59
    Central, you gonna marry Anonus or you gonna keep my buddy waiting forever like some kinda punk-skunk victorian novel villain?

(Kidding, of course, this is up to you two and nobody else, and you have real life reasons for the things you do).

(Response not required).
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't mind answering this, actually:

Our tentative plan is to move in together for at least a couple years before we get legally married, because we want to make sure that living arrangement will work long-term.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yeah
    I would like to kiss certain trans girls
    lewd.
  • I'll be [age+1] in two days, and I worry I wasted my [age] year.

It seems unfair to me that you can legally change your name but you can't legally change your birthday.

I mean, the 101st day of the year is pretty darn awesome to have as a hatchday, especially as a person who likes 101 Dalmatians, but in these years, having it be in April is humiliating.
  • Worry not, past self, for I am contented and well.
  • No year is wasted if it ends with an opportunity for a triplepost.
    but not a quadruple!
    Ali_Roz said:

I'll be [age+1] in two days, and I worry I wasted my [age] year.

It seems unfair to me that you can legally change your name but you can't legally change your birthday.

I mean, the 101st day of the year is pretty darn awesome to have as a hatchday, especially as a person who likes 101 Dalmatians, but in these years, having it be in April is humiliating.
    We all wasted the past year, thanks to the pandemic. You're far from alone.
    the past year was a colossal disaster for the world in general
  • Amnyways, parody being protected speech is such a stupid idea.

I mean, who decided that it was okay to do whatever with whatever image/idea, but only if you were engaging in mockery?

I need to kick that person.
    Some things deserve to be mocked.
  • Nobody deserves to be mocked.  Some people deserve destruction, but no one deserves mockery.  Ever.
    What is interesting to note is that the parody protection in the fair use doctrine is way more limited than most people realize

The parody actually has to be commenting on the original work in some way

Part of the reason Weird Al Yankovic secures permission before “parodying” other artists’ songs is that, oftentimes, his songs aren’t actually parodies

Consider “Eat It”: taking a popular song about gang violence and rewriting the lyrics to be about food doesn’t count as fair use, because he’s not actually making any kind of critical commentary about the original song

In contrast, something like “Smells Like Nirvana” likely would count as fair use, since the new lyrics are commenting directly on the original song (He asked for permission anyways, so it’s a moot point here, but you get the idea)

As Quinton Reviews once pointed out: If changing the lyrics alone was enough to qualify as fair use, George Harrison wouldn’t have gotten in trouble for “My Sweet Lord”
    I should really get around to appointing a Deputy Alice who can carry out my princessly duties if I am ever unable to
  • Did anyone do anything for Homestuck day yasterday?!
    Ponyhead said:

Did anyone do anything for Homestuck day yasterday?!

get Pfizer-BioNTech dose #2
  • Anonus said:

Ponyhead said:

reading internet posts from americans feels more like peering into an alternate universe than ever
    I don't get my second dose until Monday
  • if I'm lucky I'll get my first one in a month and the second one in august
    That's awful :(
  • "we need 40 million vaccines quickly, but I guess getting 400 million vaccines extremely slowly is just as good" - justin trudeau probably
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Anonus said:

Ponyhead said:

reading internet posts from americans feels more like peering into an alternate universe than ever
    Yeah I'm p. pissed at Trump for making it harder for other countries to get J&J, Pfizer, and Moderna, and Bill Gates for making it harder for other countries to get AZ
  • Odradek said:

Anonus said:

Ponyhead said:

Yeah I'm p. pissed at Trump for making it harder for other countries to get J&J, Pfizer, and Moderna, and Bill Gates for making it harder for other countries to get AZ
    Yeah the world as a whole is fucked for those reasons but living in Canada it's incredibly frustrating the degree to which our problems seem to be self-made.
    Bill Gates made it harder for other countries to get Arizona
    i feel bad now
    Why? It’s not your fault the vaccine is being distributed unequally
  • Anonus said:

i feel bad now

sorry
  • princess Toot Toot
  • Ponyhead said:

princess Toot Toot

I saw that anime, and it was good.
    it weren't bad.
  • edited 2021-04-16 18:44:36

Bill Gates made it harder for other countries to get Arizona

i had this quote saved as a draft and from what i remember i was gonna make some sort of joke here involving Arizona Iced Tea but then couldn't think of a way to get away from a certain unfortunate incident involving it
  • edited 2021-04-16 18:45:09
    meanwhile, on twitter

Danielle Shroyer
    Replying to 
    I heard Derrida speak at a Villanova conference. It was a tribute to his work so all these continental philosophy dudebros presented just ridiculously obtuse papers. Then Derrida gets up for his keynote and spends 10 min just berating the pomposity of their papers. It was CLASSIC

• *pokes head in*

So, uh... long time no see.
    Hello, Tools! How's it going?
  • I’m alive, and still editing as a freelancer. It’s not earning me as much money but I’m happier than I was at my old job, for sure
    That's good to hear.

I am doing...about as well as I can. You may have heard about this, but my hometown (Columbus, Ohio) has become the new epicenter of the struggle against police brutality, which...is kind of a lot to deal with, being a police brutality survivor myself.
  • That's good to hear.

I am doing...about as well as I can. You may have heard about this, but my hometown (Columbus, Ohio) has become the new epicenter of the struggle against police brutality, which...is kind of a lot to deal with, being a police brutality survivor myself.

-hug-
    Thank you
    hi Tools

things are chaotic as ever

A quip I typed elsewhere that I am quite proud of:

“I don’t have enough hands for the magnitude of facepalm that requires”