I don't find fighting entertaining

Is that weird?

(Unless it's a fictional fight)

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I go to undergound fi-wait I'm not supposed to talk about those
  • edited 2015-10-08 04:09:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    A lot of people don't even like fictional fighting. Real fights are way less popular in turn.
  • I like fighting with sredni :3c
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...that's different. >/////>
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    there is such a thing as the aestheticization of violence.

otherwise, fighting isn't really that interesting.
  • Real fighting is kind of just this mundane occurrence. 

Even martial arts, real martial arts, is much more mundane and practical than it's been displayed on the Television or in fiction.
  • I never understood the idolization of fight scenes in the absence of context.

Snazzily good animation does little to make the fight more appealing if it doesn't have good reason for happening in the first place.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's why the best fight scenes are done in live action.

With fake weapons.

In rubber suits.

But no, people only fight in animation.
  • edited 2015-10-08 05:59:42
    Martial artist fights in live action are the best fight scenes, honestly.
  • edited 2015-10-08 06:12:17
    Glenn, I will fight you to the death in defense of contextless fight scenes to prove you wrong. :V

Personally, I'm good with either context or not if it's really well choreographed. Or insanely stupid in a good way.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i can enjoy the spectacle of a decently-choreographed fight scene, but they're much more interesting when they don't interrupt the drama, but heighten it

to me that's the difference between a show that uses fights well and one that treats them as filler, really

never really saw the appeal of IRL fighting, i don't watch boxing or anything like that
  • This makes me think of Family Guy, and it's obsession with big setpiece fights as the series went on. 

Is it about seeing hated characters get what they deserve? 'Liked' characters being 'badass'? What makes it so virulent?

This makes me think of Family Guy, and it's obsession with big setpiece fights as the series went on. 

Is it about seeing hated characters get what they deserve? 'Liked' characters being 'badass'? What makes it so virulent?
    people liked the first giant chicken fight because it came out of nowhere, and you had no idea how long it was going to last, and it was very unique at the time.

Seth McFarlane can run a joke into the ground like nobody's business.

Do the math.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I never expected "big setpiece fights" and "Family Guy" to be mentioned in the same breath.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Torgo said:

This makes me think of Family Guy, and it's obsession with big setpiece fights as the series went on. 

people liked the first giant chicken fight because it came out of nowhere, and you had no idea how long it was going to last, and it was very unique at the time.
    also it was a huge fight that started for a silly reason during a cutaway gag, all the later ones were just "revenge" fights that were shoehorned into the episodes' main events
  • edited 2015-10-08 20:10:44
    I appreciate that Monty Oum was a great fight choreographer and digital animation artist, but I can't help but be not particularly entertained by stuff like his Dead Fantasy videos.

(No offense meant to fans of Oum.  FWIW I am a RWBY fan myself.)
    the fights were the best thing about RWBY, easily and by far
  • edited 2015-10-09 02:20:11
    OpAPHID said:

the fights were the best thing about RWBY, easily and by far

I wasn't that entertained by RWBY's fight scenes, in general.  Some of them were quite gratifying, from what I recall, but off the top of my head I can't remember any particularly notable ones.  On the other hand, I'd say the setting has been rather intriguing -- and more of a draw than the fight scenes, at least for me.

Since people have yelled at me for having a positive opinion of RWBY I nowadays know not to say "interesting", but "intriguing" is still valid since it does not depend on having learned a lot about the setting, because (it is true that) not all that much has been described about the setting.

Also, some of the characters are pretty interesting too.  Or intriguing.  Either might work, depending on the character.

I'd like to watch more of it just to see how the world is put together and how the story evolves.  I'm genuinely curious about these things, and no amount of people flaming me for having a positive opinion of it will diminish this curiosity.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The fights weren't too entertaining on the whole, but they were certainly the most consistent and well-done parts of the series.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    RWBY has consistently been one of the few things I agree with GMH on.

Some of them were quite gratifying, from what I recall, but off the top of my head I can't remember any particularly notable ones.

Not even the food fight from the start of the 2nd season? i thought that was brilliant.
  • OpAPHID said:

Some of them were quite gratifying, from what I recall, but off the top of my head I can't remember any particularly notable ones.

Not even the food fight from the start of the 2nd season? i thought that was brilliant.
    Oh, now that you mention it, I can remember that one, but I also remember feeling that it was kinda pointless and didn't seem to fit well with the tone of everything else, which just kinda led to me being kinda bored.

To be honest, when I tried recalling fight scenes, a few did come to mind, just I couldn't remember enough details to say what I thought of them individually. These scenes include the giant bird grimm, the highway mech, the underground train, and I think there was a fight scene after those two infiltrated the White Fang meeting but I'm not--wait, thqt was the highway mech fight, right.
    i thouht the food fight was a definite high point, and a rare time when the show has struck me as genuinely funny

but they do serious fights well, too
  • OpAPHID said:

Oh, now that you mention it, I can remember that one, but I also remember feeling that it was kinda pointless and didn't seem to fit well with the tone of everything else, which just kinda led to me being kinda bored.

To be honest, when I tried recalling fight scenes, a few did come to mind, just I couldn't remember enough details to say what I thought of them individually. These scenes include the giant bird grimm, the highway mech, the underground train, and I think there was a fight scene after those two infiltrated the White Fang meeting but I'm not--wait, thqt was the highway mech fight, right.
    OpAPHID said:

i thouht the food fight was a definite high point, and a rare time when the show has struck me as genuinely funny

somehow, I thought all of this was still about Family Guy
    giant bird grimm = chicken? :p
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    OpAPHID said:

I liked the food fight as well.
    Did someone say Food Fight?

• No, not at all. People are entertained by different things.