I don't like tentpole cinema anymore

Sometimes I worry this means I'm out of touch.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    You know when the last time I went to see a "tentpole" movie was? Probably, like, never or something.

You always get this answer from me, so whatever
  • i dont know what that is but you're right, you spacey weirdo i hate you
  • I have never even heard of tentpole cimena until literally just now wtf
    it's an old industry term
  • I have never even heard of tentpole cimena until literally just now wtf

god you out of touch freak, you are less than human
  • tentpole cinema, as any truly cultured individual would know, is a genre of movies about tents
  • Tentpole movies are what the rest of us would call "blockbuster cinema"

You know, stuff like the Marvel movies
  • They're called tentpoles because they prop up a studio/distributor's slate
  • I see

this further proves that you are a caveperson come unstuck in time
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    this is you when you don't Consume Content
  • kill living beings
    what the fuck poison ivy
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Now, this useful phenomenon is in itself by no means new. Under the name of Envy it has been known to humans for thousands of years. But hitherto they always regarded it as the most odious, and also the most comical, of vices. Those who were aware of feeling it felt it with shame; those who were not gave it no quarter in others. The delightful novelty of the present situation is that you can sanction it — make it respectable and even laudable — by the incantatory use of the word democratic

Under the influence of this incantation those who are in any or every way inferior can labour more wholeheartedly and successfully than ever before to pull down everyone else to their own level. But that is not all. Under the same influence, those who come, or could come, nearer to a full humanity, actually draw back from fear of being undemocratic. I am credibly informed that young humans now sometimes suppress an incipient taste for classical music or good literature because it might prevent their Being Like Folks; that people who would really wish to be — and are offered the Grace which would enable them to be — honest, chaste, or temperate refuse it. To accept might make them Different, might offend against the Way of Life, take them out of Togetherness, impair their Integration with the Group. They might (horror of horrors!) become individuals. 

All is summed up in the prayer which a young female human is said to have uttered recently: “O God, make me a normal twentieth century girl!” Thanks to our labours, this will mean increasingly: “Make me a minx, a moron, and a parasite.” 

[...] 

What I want to fix your attention on is the vast, overall movement towards the discrediting, and finally the elimination, of every kind of human excellence – moral, cultural, social, or intellectual. And is it not pretty to notice how “democracy” (in the incantatory sense) is now doing for us the work that was once done by the most ancient Dictatorships, and by the same methods? You remember how one of the Greek Dictators (they called them “tyrants” then) sent an envoy to another Dictator to ask his advice about the principles of government. The second Dictator led the envoy into a field of grain, and there he snicked off with his cane the top of every stalk that rose an inch or so above the general level. The moral was plain. Allow no preeminence among your subjects. Let no man live who is wiser or better or more famous or even handsomer than the mass. Cut them all down to a level: all slaves, all ciphers, all nobodies. All equals. Thus Tyrants could practise, in a sense, “democracy.” But now “democracy” can do the same work without any tyranny other than her own. No one need now go through the field with a cane. The little stalks will now of themselves bite the tops off the big ones. The big ones are beginning to bite off their own in their desire to Be Like Stalks.
  • kill living beings
    what the living fuckdick is this garbage i fucking see

i don't know you anymore

did i ever? perhaps it was merely a fucking illusion. perhaps i never new you, and only imagined i did for the sake of convenience. and this that i see here makes it no longer convenient, and lo does my subconscious mind assert itself once more and say, "fuck this guy". how many others is this true of? are all of my relationships convenient shams propped up by the pole of not disliking certain movies? this secret kept within my mind, secret even from myself, threatens to undo my entire self-consciousness
  • huh?
  • also I'm a "she" right now
  • kill living beings
    fuck this entity
  • are you saying we talk about tentpole movies too much
    Screwtape
  • edited 2015-10-04 05:20:54

rayman said:

perhaps it was merely a fucking illusion. perhaps i never new you, and only imagined i did for the sake of convenience. and this that i see here makes it no longer convenient, and lo does my subconscious mind assert itself once more and say, "fuck this guy". how many others is this true of? are all of my relationships convenient shams propped up by the pole of not disliking certain movies? this secret kept within my mind, secret even from myself, threatens to undo my entire self-consciousness

#relatable
  • somewhere, a They Might Be Giants song plays in reverse
  • kill living beings
    no i'm saying my life is a lie that i'm not even in on
  • why do you think that