Every day is NOT children's day

Childhood sucks, and anyone who tells you otherwise is letting nostalgia blind them.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well yeah, there's a lot about childhood that is shitty. Like how when you're five years old and angry about something your parents think it's cute and refuse to engage you seriously about what you're mad about.
    And it's also frustrating how no one remembers anything from when they're that age, and assume no one else does either. And no one talks about how "big" it felt going from half-day kindergarten to full-day schooling.
    No one ever seems to wax nostalgic over kindergarten. Personally I remember being taught how to read despite already knowing how to read at that age.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kindergarten was kind of a mess for me, so I can't get too nostalgic over it.

To give a quick rundown: I went through at least 4 different kindergarten classes, got thrown out of a Catholic school for putting a chair on top of a classmate, and got promoted directly from kindergarten to second grade because I already knew most of the crap they were trying to teach me in kindergarten.
  • edited 2015-10-03 00:39:25
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ It's interesting that you do apparently remember quite a lot from that age.  afaik most people don't.

"every day is children's day" is just one of those dumb parent jokes
    I'm still furiously jealous of you that you got to skip any grade

I never did
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Remind me, how old are people in Kindergarten?  Is it just the one year, or several?  Our grade system is different and we don't normally use that word.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kindergarteners are usually 5-6.

I went through so many different kindergarten programs that I was 7 by the end, so skipping to second grade just put me back in line with my age group.
  • Anonus said:

I never did
    usually what happens ime is that people get promoted and then held back again. Happened to several people I know.
    that happened to a couple people at my school

5-6 is what we call Year 1 . . . i was thinking it was Reception, which is the year below.  i do remember a fair amount from Reception, but it's mostly pretty vague.  Before that is basically a blank.  i can remember odd details like what a room looked like, but nothing of what it felt like to be preschool-age.
    Whatever progress I gained by skipping 1st and 8th grade was lost by taking 6 years to finish high school, so...

I wan't "held back", per se, I just, uh, didn't finish stuff on time? Online school is weird, it's kinda self-paced and if you're a lazy asshole like my teenage self was it can take longer than an actual semester to finish a semester's worth of material.
    i had to repeat my last year.

Had to do that at uni, as well.
  • :insert bitching about being kicked out of community college here:
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Anonus said:

I never did
    I skipped a grade too NEENER NEENER NEENER
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Childhood can be awesome and awful both in alternation and simultaneously.

Also, I managed to have the necessary test scores to get into college in late elementary school and flunked out of high school, sooooooo.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I almost skipped a grade in middle school. Overall I'm actually really happy I didn't, though. Starting college extra young kinda sucks, as I've seen in a few of my friends. I think it's easiest to either be with or a couple years above your main friend group. Not that being significantly older or younger is bad, mind, it's just often less easy. 
  • Middle school was godawful. I had nothing but emotionally abusive fake friends/bullies who thought it was funny to pick on the fat autistic kid.
  • edited 2015-10-04 01:13:57
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Erio: I was super-smart in elementary school, and everyone thought i was going to be like Doogie Howser and skip a zillion grades and become a doctor at 16. :P 

If there's something I've never been good at, it's managing stress and setting priorities for myself, and even in elementary school I'd rather have been reading books or tearing apart an old radio than doing schoolwork. It took a lot of motivation just to get me to high school on time; college would have squashed me like a bug at that point.