I've never been to New England

But I want to use a coastal town there as the setting for Red Barons .

I'm leaning towards Massachusetts, but all the scenic places with cliffs seem to be located off its mainland. I'd rather avoid Rhode Island because of Family Guy, and Maine because of Stephen King.

"Massachusetts" and other state names are, in the show's world, artifacts, as humans are long extinct and the United States of America no longer exists as an entity.

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    AND I'VE NEVER BEEN TO BOSTON IN THE FALL

BE-CAUSE WE'RE THE PIRATES

WHO DON'T DO ANYTHING

WE JUST STAY AT HOME

AND LIE AROUND

AND IF YOU ASK US

TO DO ANYTHING

WE'LL JUST TELL YOU

"WE DON'T DO ANYTHING"
  • Not wanting to be in Rhode Island due to Family Guy, I can understand. But avoiding Maine because of Stephen King? What's wrong with Stephen King?
  • TBH if you're using a post-USA setting, you could probably get away with using Maine or Rhode Island without even needing to worry about the connections they have to other works.

-shrug-

Also: Connecticut.
  • Or you could divide the country into districts like in The Hunger Games.
  • kill living beings
    psh, the cape's plenty scenic
  • edited 2015-10-02 16:06:59
    I don't know much about Connecticut's coastline, though I do know that there's a sub base there and some other port towns and fishing villages, such as Mystic. The interior is sorta generic small town New England.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've also never been to New England, but I really want to. The seaside looks so pretty.

Also, post-apocalyptic Massachusetts makes me imagine a literal underground society of animals having formed in the remains of the Big Dig tunnels.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was in Maine once, but it was overshadowed by my Existential Crisis(tm).

Also, you can't use Rhode Island because of Lovecraft, but you never thought of that.
  • I don't see why you should avoid using a story setting just because someone else has used it.

I mean, these are real places, with real people living there, so it makes complete sense that a completely unrelated story could spring from the same place.

In short, you don't need to make room for Lovecraft.
  • Remember when I used to joke that Maine was the center of all evil and King's novels were the only evidence that made it past the censors?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm just worried about horning in on others' territory

Also, I'm not sure if Boston or other big cities should still be inhabited or end up being treated like archaeological sites with no inhabitants
  • kill living beings
    i don't think stephen king is going to mind if you set a story in maine broh
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    He'll probably be happy someone else cares
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Also you could use the Maine accent.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't know if the characters have it because the humans are all gone...
  • Anonus said:

Also, I'm not sure if Boston or other big cities should still be inhabited or end up being treated like archaeological sites with no inhabitants
    There is an infinite amount of "territory" in the realm of fiction.

Setting something in the same geographic location is by no means encroaching on others' "territory".

You can even use others' territory to make your own stories if you want.
  • Anonus said:

Post-apocalypse I think the land currently occupied by big cities would still be desirable because of the geographical features that drew people there in the first place, mostly water access. (And it depends on the state of the city--if it's mostly intact, shelter is always good even if it was originally designed for bipeds. Otherwise, hey, it's like a vein of minerals that doesn't need to be mined out or even processed.)
  • edited 2015-10-02 20:59:53
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    the city is probably pretty much as it was before humans went extinct

I have no idea how humans died out, or how the lead characters (who are all fantastically-colored pigs - Reddy is of course red, Freddy is orange, Eddy is yellow, and Susan is blue. Reddy's parents, Ruby and Auburn, are red and orange, and Susan's mother Sarah is a darker shade of blue) came to be, but it most certainly wasn't through natural means