CSS stuff

On the HH subreddit, if you look at a discussion page, the arrow by the "sort by" menu is instead showing up as "â~¼": https://www.reddit.com/r/HeapersHangout/comments/3m5lpu/choo_choo_flair_added/

Why?

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It looks like it got converted into Latin-1 or Win-1252 somehow. Which character should it be?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    looks like mojibake to me.  you're probably setting the wrong character set somewhere
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    yeah, for some reason, it interpreted the UTF-8 in that character as Win-1252 someplace. 
  • I see the UTF-8 charset, so without seeing the CSS source I'm not certain why it's being ignored there.

Are you using an editor that saves stuff however the hell it feels like?  I know a couple people at work had problems with Visual Studio saving source files in one of the windows charsets.
    what do you mean by that? I copied the r/naut CSS from a .txt file I opened with TextEdit on OS X Yosemite
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-24 14:38:30
    *wince*

Yeah, that's like a trifecta of asking for charset issues.  txt files are notorious for masking charset conflicts because they don't contain enough data to tell you what it was saved in, TextEdit is really bad about converting them behind your back, and Macs in general are generally just bad about putting out anything you expect anything else to be able to interpret.

Google around to see how you might be able to tell what charset your software is saving in, or how the original text file opened it.  I suspect the original problem was in opening the first txt file with the wrong charset.
    It already was saving things in UTF-8.

I found the solution. There was a bunch of text I thought was optional that I pasted in and that fixed it.