Naegleria fowleri, the brain-eating amoeba

There are no reports in it being in the water where I am, but I've heard it's in the water in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. Sometimes water gets in my nostrils, and I fear I'm going to die of this amoeba eating up my brain.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    "It was first discovered in 1965, and first identified in Australia."

of course it was

anyway, idk if you need to worry about this, unless you go around snorting hot spring water or whatever

it's rare for it to be in tap water, and infections in the US are extremely rare
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    If not for the fact that there are indigenous Australians I would assume God just designed the place as a death trap to keep humans out.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    You seem like a hypochondriac.
  • why would you post this holy shit i worry about my health for no reason enough as it is
  • I already gave up when they said that touching the wrong snails might give me a thing that consumes brains.

Sometimes you gotta accept that there's always going to be something bad that can happen. You can't let it stop you from living your life and touching all those snails. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Time is gonna consume your brain anyway
    i keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking it should be a cartoon

The Adventures of Naegleria Fowleri, the Brain-Eating Amoeba
    more seriously, i think Odradek has a point, Anonus

You do seem to worry a lot about things that are very unlikely to hurt you
  • kill living beings
    it's killed less than two hundred people in the US since the fucking 1960s. you're not going to die from a brain eating amoeba, you are going to die from influenza or something, many years from now. chill.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

it's killed less than two hundred people in the US since the fucking 1960s. you're not going to die from a brain eating amoeba, you are going to die from influenza or something, many years from now. chill.

also people die from brain inflammation when your brain realizes this thing's there, it's not some horror movie zombie thing
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Also, pretty much every water system in the US flushes their pipes regularly (to remove sediment that can harbour nasties like this). Around here, they also use elemental chlorine during the spring since it's a stronger disinfectant.
  • Oh fuck I remember studying those in school, along with a bunch of other parasites.

Ah, biology labs, how I loved you.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also this is probably where the LPer Naegleria gets their handle from