Inter-city rivalries

I at times hear about (usually one-sided) "hate" between, say, Dallas and Houston, or Los Angeles and San Diego. Does this happen outside of sports? I never hear about it outside of that.

Comments

• it doesn't

like, sometimes there's like a playful rivalry that produces goofy jabs, but nothing beyond that
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    is this between Minneapolis and St. Paul

why do the Twin Cities seem to have such a vibrant comedy scene? with Atlanta it's because Atlanta is apparently so boring that everyone turns to surrealism
    I mean the Twin Cities gave the world Mystery Science Theater 3000

(also Sinclair really ought to change WUCW's callsign back to KTMA, but they won't because Sinclair)
    Also, Atlanta was the birthplace of Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Homestar Runner
  • iunno if any of this really has anything to do with location
  • naney said:

it doesn't

like, sometimes there's like a playful rivalry that produces goofy jabs, but nothing beyond that

You have not heard a Philadelphian and a Pittsburgher argue I take it.
  • I have not

but I am fairly confident that were I to hear this argument I would come to the conclusion that the persons having the argument are imbeciles
  • Well yeah, but Anonus was just asking if it happens, and it does.
  • Portland is probably some city's object of hatred, but damned if I know which.
  • Well yeah, but Anonus was just asking if it happens, and it does.

i guess i was assuming too much
  • Haven said:

Portland is probably some city's object of hatred, but damned if I know which.

are there other big cities in Oregon
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Haven said:

Portland is probably some city's object of hatred, but damned if I know which.

don't all the rural Oregonians hate Portland?
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-09-03 00:28:05

Anonus said:

I at times hear about (usually one-sided) "hate" between, say, Dallas and Houston, or Los Angeles and San Diego. Does this happen outside of sports? I never hear about it outside of that.

Yes, I have seen this happen outside of sports though admittedly, rivalries between pro, college, and high school sports probably contribute to those inter-city rivalries. I remember hearing some people who live in Minneapolis describe St. Paul as a "dump" before, to name one example (which I think is pretty silly, really). If I remember right, Beloit, WI also has a bad reputation among people who live in nearby Janesville to give a weirder example.

That said, I feel like inter-state rivalries are probably a bit more common, or at least I hear about them more. When I lived in Wisconsin, bashing Illinois seemed fairly popular. Here in Minnesota, I have noticed a lot of people seem to like making fun of Wisconsin instead.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    All I know about Portland is that some people living there get really mad if you dare to move there.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-03 18:14:37
    I think the only people that specifically hate Portland are old white guys in general.

I mean I hate Portland, but I hate big cities as a whole.
    Sometimes I feel sad that few of the adults in Denver seem to be from here, but then I worry that the culture would become stagnant and nasty if not for all the transplants
    It's part of why Matt and Trey must be allowed to live though
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    one time some old white guy told me that Portland is "full of weenies" and he was glad to be back in Pittsburgh where men are men
  • that is the most Pittsburgher thing possible

one time some old white guy told me that Portland is "full of weenies" and he was glad to be back in Pittsburgh where men are men

This is what I worry about
  • being called a weenie by some rando probably isn't a bad thing
    No I meant the culture becoming stagnant