A recurring dream of mine

"Oh crap, I forgot I was taking a fifth class this semester! I haven't been attending lectures or even recitations. And now there's a quiz? No, I'm gonna fail! :("

It always takes a moment after I wake up to reassure myself that this was all just a dream...

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I still had those dreams a few years after getting out of school...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've had that dream many many times.
  • how would that even happen?

like, you get emails and shit from professors all the time
  • kill living beings
    I have that dream and it's always an English class, which I have not had one of in half a decade
    naney said:

how would that even happen?

I have a professor who's website is labeled as his "www homepage" and I'm never going to get an email from him
    profs never used email back in the 70s when I was in school

besides, it's a dream, it follows feelings rather than logic
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wasn't really aware of email until the late 1980s. Since I read a lot of PC Mag, I knew that all the editors and writers there used MCI Mail a lot (they wouldn't shut up about it), and eventually they partnered with CompuServe. I also remember seeing "save a stamp, use email!" posters at the computers lab at UVa when my mom did assignments there c. 1990-1991.
  • naney said:

how would that even happen?

Remember the time I missed a midterm and didn't realize it for a literal month? It happens
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Imi's right though, way stranger stuff happens in dreams.

Like often in dreams my classmates will be completely the wrong people, but it still feels real at the time.
  • kill living beings

haven't had an English class in five years

basic grammar error

nice
    who's
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-31 20:14:24
    https://xkcd.com/557/

It's probably the truest thing that's ever been on that comic.

On a more bittersweet note I also have a lot of recurring dreams about my pet bird that died recently.  He's sort of turned into my Inception totem, because the moment he shows up I know I'm dreaming, but then I don't care because bird snuggles :(
  • One of the few good things about dropping out of college is that I wasn't there long enough for that kind of dream to worm its way into my subconscious.

No if I have semi-realistic nightmares they're about being homeless.
  • I had those dreams about high school before I even went to college.

There might be something wrong with bloating our academic process into almost a third of the average human being's life expectancy.
  • High school was fairly low-stress for me, senior year aside, so that is probably why I rarely dream about it.
    for me, high school dreams are mostly about bosoms
  • For the most part, college was even easier than high school for me.  I don't know why my subconscious is so determined to freak out over it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My high school dreams used to be the usual "I can't remember my schedule and I cna't find any of my friends or that one girl I had a crush on" stuff...I'd be wandering around a school that was a composite of, like, 3 or 4 different buildings looking for something to do.

Later on, they eventually turned into me ending up in the cafeteria, and trying to buy soda from a machine that had really weird (and extremely cheap) prices. The machine took pennies, for some reason.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I went to high school online so I don't get many dreams about that. The closest I get are dreams where I find the first-gen x86 iMac I used back then lying around and decide to try playing with it.

That said, I do get dreams where I'm back in middle school. Fairly frequently, too.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    almost constantly, dreams about technically not being done university
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's always some stupid class I wouldn't sign up for in real life, too. Usually it's biology.
    The kind of thing I probably would have taken in high school when it was a requirement but not in college
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what's so stupid about biology?
  • edited 2015-12-30 05:24:59

it's got gay-ass shit like worms and owls and other crap like that.
    Anonus said:

what's so stupid about biology?

*shrug*

It's just not my thing is all. It doesn't hold my interest at all.
  • i guess that is the more politically correct way to phrase it
    I love it
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-30 05:31:20
    Biology is usually used as the dumping ground of required classes.  It tends to have one of the higher concentrations of both kids who don't want to be there and teachers who don't want to be teaching it.

Also MITOCHONDRIA ARE THE POWERHOUSE OF THE CELL
  • Anonus said:

I love it

wow lol gay
  • Biology can be fun if you get into a good, high-level class.  General education versions tend to be complete wastes of oxygen though.
    define high-level
    also when I said "I love it", I meant the general subject. I've never taken a college biology class.
  • AP in high school, or at least mid-200-level in college.
  • oh god the thought of taking sub-AP bio makes my brains wanna dribble out my ears
    evidently I have never taken one of these supposed horrible biology classes
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-30 05:51:07
    I think I shared my stories about my high school bio class here before, and I expect that's probably the worse end.  Look up the mitochondria thread if you're curious.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i remember high school bio being mostly memorization.  boring imo
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    overall i liked the subject, but it was largely about memorizing stuff

it was the science with the fewest practicals, and when there were it was some boring thing like measuring plants or something gross like dissecting kidneys
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I have always had fairly surreal dreams with little basis in reality. I mean, one time I had a dream about a murder labyrinth attached to a cinema. 
  • I took a bio class this past semester for general ed and got a C that was thisclose to being a B, which has in turn put me in danger of being put on academic probation for my scholarship and, in turn, losing my ability to go to my current school entirely. I basically need a perfect GPA this semester to stay.

Needless to say, it's kind of a sore subject right now. The salt is real.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Ouch, my sympathies.
  • oh also I found all of that out on Christmas Eve because the guy who taught the class didn't post the grades until the day before

It was, in a word, harrowing news.
  • edited 2016-06-27 18:17:45
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Had a new variation on this one today: "oh no, it's the middle of the summer but I forgot to show up for my finals for Spring classes!!"