Who is Anthony Fantano

Is he like Steve Albini?

Comments

• Anthony Fantano is a man who reviews music on youtube, he is considered something of a tastemaker amongst internet music folks

his opinions are generally Reasonable, he is a vegan but is not preachy about it, he is moderately hipsterish but not an asshole about it, one time i talked to him on tumblr and i asked him about vegan cookie recepies and he did not get back to me so i have a beef with him.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    a person who reviews music, in other words, someone completely superfluous
  • as opposed to the not superfluous people
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    such as myself and Miko Mayonegg
  • i guess i should mention his review style: generally he talks a little bit about the background of the artist/band, then he does a track by track breakdown, talking about the stuff he likes/doesnt like, and then he sums it up. the problem is that he kinda falls into the "this is what happens and this is how it made me feel" trap that you get with like lots of bad video game reviews, so i hardly ever watch his stuff. also he is a bit of a jack of all trades and a master of none, so he doesnt really have in-depth knowledge/background for a lot of stuff he reviews.

all and all i think he's ok even if im not a fan
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm basically agreed with Naney on Anthony here, amusingly enough.
  • I have only seen a few of his hip-hop reviews, all of which I have strongly disagreed with.
  • I like watching his stuff even though I only occasionally agree with his opinions (which, interestingly enough, is also the stance I've chosen to take with Todd).

A perfect example of that happened today, actually; I watched his review of Death Magic by HEALTH today and the exact same things he found the album lackluster for (an incongruence between the "sugary" feel of some tracks and the noise elements and a lack of regard for structure on the band's end in the more noisy songs) are what I loved it for after listening to it for myself.
  • edited 2015-08-30 17:25:29

The only thing I've seen of Anthony Fantano's stuff is he did a review of a Sunn O))) concert that I enjoyed.

I have only seen a few of his hip-hop reviews, all of which I have strongly disagreed with.

What made they so disagreeable if you don't mind me asking?
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    All I know is that he reviewed FLORAL SHOPPE