Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh

I find this same-state major city pair fascinating, given that they seem so different and rarely seem to acknowledge one another
Tagged:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also, when I was young I imagined Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love, to be inhabited by cherubs
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

Also, when I was young I imagined Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love, to be inhabited by cherubs

That sounds cute
  • there was a Zara in Philadelphia and the employees were really snooty

which is hilarious because they worked at a fucking Zara????
  • anyways, i know nothing about Pittsburgh

like, the more i wrack my brain, the less i know about it beyond the fact that it exists
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

anyways, i know nothing about Pittsburgh

like, the more i wrack my brain, the less i know about it beyond the fact that it exists

Surely you have gleaned something from my griping
  • naney said:

Pittsburgh is a lot like Bethlehem but in a different part of the state, larger, and less interesting.
    Jesus was also born here.

They wrapped him up in a terrible towel, and then he ate burgers with french fries in them at the last meal.
  • naney said:

Pittsburgh is a lot like Bethlehem but in a different part of the state, larger, and less interesting.
    this tells me nothing because i dont know anything about Bethlehem either
    Odradek said:

Jesus was also born here.

They wrapped him up in a terrible towel, and then he ate burgers with french fries in them at the last meal.
    now this tells me something, mainly that someone else out there has the common sense to put fries on their burgers
  • naney said:

naney said:

this tells me nothing because i dont know anything about Bethlehem either
    Big steel town with its glory days long behind it and a lot of local culture that anyone else is unlikely to care about.

Also, unlike Pittsburgh, we have a place called The Crayon Factory in Bethlehem.
  • so basically its exactly like northern minnesota but without the snowmobiles or the great lakes or Duluth or

ok got it
  • ALSO there is a really corny song called "Bethlehem PA" that you will hear every year at Christmastime.
    Speaking of, I believe "The Christmas Shoes" is not a real Christmas song, and was invented entirely by hack comedians as a source of material.
  • Odradek said:

Speaking of, I believe "The Christmas Shoes" is not a real Christmas song, and was invented entirely by hack comedians as a source of material.

The song is apparently based on an email chain letter passed around in the 90's called "The Golden Slippers."
  • Odradek said:

it is a real song and it is my mom's favorite song no qualifiers

it says more about what kind of person she is than anything about the song
    Westinghouse was once based in Pittsburgh

Don't tell me about the current "Westinghouse", it is an impostor that licenses the name and logo from CBS
  • Anonus said:

Westinghouse was once based in Pittsburgh

Don't tell me about the current "Westinghouse", it is an impostor that licenses the name and logo from CBS
    DAE remember when Edison tried to make "westinghouse" mean "electrocute to death"?

the first forced meme
    Also, Odradek, if Jesus was born in Pittsburgh, then why did his father make sunsets orange to indicate his Broncos fandom

(that's an actual bumper sticker around here, though I see it less than I used to)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    fuck Westinghouse with a rusty cactus

Pittsburgh is a sad place but I will grant that it does have a certain local flavor.

Actually, I feel a bit bad putting the 'burgh down because my father and grandfather seemed to be really fond of the place.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus said:

Also, Odradek, if Jesus was born in Pittsburgh, then why did his father make sunsets orange to indicate his Broncos fandom

(that's an actual bumper sticker around here, though I see it less than I used to)
    actually you see God is a Tar Heel because he made the sky Carolina Blue

Spoiler:
    (the causality issues here are obvious)
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-08-26 02:52:35

I don't even know what a Zara is.

Fast fashion store, decent quality clothing, not cheap but not (super) expensive either. Think along the H&M kind of lines and you've got something similar.

(The one I visited in Birmingham was also messy as fuck but I think they were having some sale so that may have been why. Naney probably has more experience with them.)

fuck Westinghouse with a rusty cactus

Pittsburgh is a sad place but I will grant that it does have a certain local flavor.

Actually, I feel a bit bad putting the 'burgh down because my father and grandfather seemed to be really fond of the place.

honestly the Rust Belt in general seems kind of sad, the parts of it I've been to at least (which does not include Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania at all)
  • re: Zara: apparently they rip off trendy stuff and make cheaper versions too, so make of that what you will
  • of course, that's the whole point of Zara

it's like H&M but more expensive
  • hence the employee snobbery being amusing
  • are you sure they were being snobs and not just entirely done with the world after who-knows-how-long working in a clothing shop
  • nah it was the high end clothing store employee snob thing
  • edited 2015-08-26 03:44:51

it is a calculated thing intended to produce an air of exclusivity, and like it kinda worked, the store was very fancy and whatnot

but that made the contrast with the cheap as fuck hundred dollar pleather jackets all the more amusing
    a hundred dollars is not cheap as fuck
  • i meant that they feel cheap and look cheap
    oh
    ngl the prices on the clothes you link to always take me back
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    philadelphia freedom

i loo oo oo ove you

yes i do
  • edited 2015-08-26 04:40:44

Anonus said:

ngl the prices on the clothes you link to always take me back

for reference the most ive ever spend on an article of clothing was like... 70 bucks?

excluding one Damir Doma jacket that i like half impulse purchased (used, new with tags) for around 200 and it never fit and ive been meaning to resell it on grailed for like forever but i havent quite gotten around to it, but that was a huge outlier & not something i think i'll ever repeat