I was idly wondering why Animaniacs-type shows don't get made anymore...

...then I realized that the worst tendencies of DreamWorks Animation probably killed the public appetite for showbizzy pop culture humor.

Thanks, Katz

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    How so?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Animaniacs! and Tiny Toon Adventures were metafictional in a very specific way that i can't remember seeing much elsewhere

SGC2C had elements of it, but the approach was very different

Disney's House of Mouse was only superficially similar
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    HoM was a product of Tony Craig and Roberts Gannaway, whom Disney put in charge of any shows where they made their envy of WBA known (Craig himself is a WBA alumnus)
    Also, Animaniacs! only had an exclamation point in development

How so?

DWA's own brand of showbizzy pop culture humor being infamously lazy
    but i like exclamation marks
    the show's title does not have one though, but its abbreviation does

also the Ruegger-verse (which is the same thing as the Looney Tunes-verse, but things dealing with the Tunes seldom touch on it because I think Steven Spielberg owns part of the rights to the TTA/A!/PaTB/F! characters) seems to reflect the most recent attempt to create a playful animated universe

my take on the Hanna-Barberaverse's comedy side is heavily influenced by it (Ruegger is a huge H-B fan anyway)
  • edited 2015-08-19 02:41:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ok fiiiiine

when i was younger i adored the kind of expanded universe that Animaniacs and those other shows had, i liked how they all referenced one another and were all part of the same world

these days i tend to see Looney Tunes as being kind of it's own thing, there's a big difference in how the world of Looney Tunes works vs. how the world of Tiny Toon Adventures works, like the latter operates on a meta-level that the former didn't and i can definitely see why they wouldn't want to oversaturate Looney Tunes media with references to other, less iconic shows that risk rendering it less accessible (may not be the reason LT-related media seldom references Ruegger-verse series, but i think it's a valid concern).

Generally i assume that LT media exists in TTA canon, but not vice versa, "exists in x canon" here not formulated as a commutative relation.
  • edited 2015-08-19 02:36:31
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    . . . i don't like the word pretentious but that was one hell of a pretentious post ^_^;

sorry

generally i don't subscribe to the view that 'exists in x canon' is particularly important, but i do like to have some idea of what's real-in-universe in mind when watching something as injoke-heavy as TTA
    LT characters exist in the Ruegger-verse! Some of them teach at Acme Looniversity
    well yeah that's kind of integral to the TTA premise!

i'm saying it doesn't follow that TTA characters exist in the LT verse

for me, completely subjectively, you understand
    right

I guess it's like how despite them meeting in a backdoor pilot, the characters in 101 Dalmatians: The Series do not show up in Cirque du Yogi due to their Disney ownership
    (I snuck in Lucky, Cadpig, and Spot as voices named Red, Blue and Green, but I'm not sure if they should actually make the cut)