YOU ARE NOT A CONTENT CREATOR

YOU ARE A PERSON WHO MAKES VIDEOS FOR THE INTERNET

CONTENT DOES NOT EXIST THERE IS NO CONTENT, YOU CANNOT MONETIZE IT, YOU MONETIZE VIDEOS STOP FUCKINGS AYING CONTENT YOU FUCKING GODDAMN PIECE OF SHIT I WOULD RATHER FLAY MYSELF ALIVE RATHER THAN HEAR SOME FUCKSHITCUNT SAY CONTENT CREATOR EVER AGAIN FUCKYOU FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU 

FUCK

YOU

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    You're right, videos and text have literally nothing at all in common and it's completely absurd to have a term that encompasses both, if you do one you become physically incapable of doing the other
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Well I guess I'm just an idiot then
  • "content creator" is a silly term
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I mean, the business side of such things is a joke for a reason, also I'm not sure I've seen it used by creators rather than people taking about them, but still
  • Youtubers use it at times because "Youtuber" sounds far worse.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I won't lie, the term "content creator" always grated on me.

Because you could say you're a blogger or a video producer or whatever specific thing it is you do, but calling yourself a "content creator" just seems like a pretentious way to try to make "I yell at video games on YouTube" sound more sophisticated.
  • I am not a content creator

I am a craftsman, a content craftsman
  • edited 2015-08-11 21:25:16
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    my #bae is a #brand.
  • kill living beings
    I'm more of a content haberdasher
  • i am a malcontent creator
  • My dreams exceed my real life

FOR THE BRAND," the Content Creators yell. They have all gathered. They are draped in their ceremonial WTF and Epic robes. #ContentCreatorOath. #YouKnowYouAreAContentCreatorWhen.

For things begin and end with the brand. Content exists only to serve the brand. We are the swinging arm of the brand. We are the sword of the brand swinging toward end user experience.

"FOR THE BRAND."

• odradek u seem... discontent
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I am a content alchemist. It is a derivative form of social justice alchemy.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I am NOT a content creator. I am a My Little Pony fanfiction writer, thank you very much.
  • kill living beings
    this phrase just amuses me because when i used 4chan the holy grail was "original content", like somebody drawing something or writing something (generally fanwork in both cases), as opposed to normal content which wasn't even that creative
  • edited 2015-08-11 21:56:55
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    There's a sort of "commercialization" of English going on and I don't like it. There are people who describe their personae online as their "brands". People who make videos, write articles,  whatever, they now describe themselves as "content creators" instead of writers or like, Youtube personalities or whatever. You could say it started with idioms like "selling [a concept] to someone else" or "selling yourself [in interviews]" or what not but there's a lot of modern neologism that is entirely built around how commercial entities perceive what people do.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I admit, I used to use the word "content" without really thinking, and am somewhat miffed that you can't even use that without people getting upset

There is corporate-speak MUCH more noxious to me than "content", which includes the liberalization of the word "brand"
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Anonus said:

I admit, I used to use the word "content" without really thinking, and am somewhat miffed that you can't even use that without people getting upset

There is corporate-speak MUCH more noxious to me than "content", which includes the liberalization of the word "brand"

relatedly there's a lot of words i use because they feel quite innocuous, and like the natural way to express what i want to say, and then people tell me i shouldn't

my dad gets annoyed if i say 'impact' (in a non-literal sense) when according to him that's a dumb buzzwordy thing and the word is 'effect' or 'affect', depending on context

i say 'impact' is bigger, more forceful

• the "my brand" thing is a joke, you must all know that right
  • my brand is serious and important
    I own many brands
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    i know 'my brand' is a joke, but i kinda get what Sex Grips is saying, i think

there's been a lot of 'ironic' use of buzzspeak in popular slang, and after a while it stops being ironic and just becomes the word people use

idk though, i find do corporate stuff kinda gross sometimes but i don't see the harm in 'my brand' or 'content creator'
  • oh no, don't get me wrong, corporatization is horrendous and is only going to get worse as years wear on. We've already got at least one OS that collects your personal info to target ads at you and there's talk of all sorts of nutty eye-scanning software and whatever, it's not getting any better.

Truth be told I prefer "aesthetic" to "brand" if we're making silly internet posts about things that are "totally us".
    aesthetic is a good word
  • Also something that I feel isn't discussed enough is, a lot of the time I see the sentiment expressed that people now express themselves primarily through digesting and discussing media.

The thing is that it's always been this way, media has just changed forms. Think about the idea of a Renaissance Man, for example.

I just resent the whole "The Internet Is Bad" line of argument.
    Tachyon said:

aesthetic is a good word

yes it is

my aesthetic is this

i'm not sure i follow how digesting and discussing media relates to the Renaissance Man?

Which strikes me as a rather archaic and unrealistic concept, but maybe i don't understand it sufficientlly to see the relevance.
  • Tachyon said:

i'm not sure i follow how digesting and discussing media relates to the Renaissance Man?

Which strikes me as a rather archaic and unrealistic concept, but maybe i don't understand it sufficientlly to see the relevance.

well I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's a stupid concept but afaik one that held a lot of clout at one time

actually I may be totally confused as to what the term means

nevermind, I'm mixed up.
  • to compensate for my buffoonery, please observe this

demon stance
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

We've already got at least one OS that collects your personal info to target ads at you

I can't tell if you're talking about iOS or Android...it arguably applies to both
  • We've already got at least one OS that collects your personal info to target ads at you

I can't tell if you're talking about iOS or Android...it arguably applies to both
    I was actually talking about Windows 10

It's a weird compartmentalization thing but my brain doesn't register phone OSes as, well, OSes, for whatever reason.
    afaik a Renaissance Man was like, a gentleman polymath, someone who is cool and collected at all times, dresses well, is an artist, a scientist, an athlete and an inventor all rolled into one

it was never a realistic or attainable ideal
  • Tachyon said:

afaik a Renaissance Man was like, a gentleman polymath, someone who is cool and collected at all times, dresses well, is an artist, a scientist, an athlete and an inventor all rolled into one

it was never a realistic or attainable ideal

no it was not

what I'm getting at is that that's kind of the ideal

how would you put it

social media expert? 

Nowadays?

Someone who has tons of followers on whatever hot platform or platforms and talks exclusively about whatever they're selling and is praised for doing so. If they talk about anything else, what they're saying is secondary to the goal of selling their Thing.

idk I see similarities but maybe that is just me. I feel like they're both ridiculous, and in most cases not even desirable, ideals that many people aim toward.

I always feel like a jackass when I self-promote anything anywhere. I don't know how fuckin', like, Soulja Boy does what he does.
    no i see what you mean, it wasn't a bad comparison but i just didn't follow where you were going with it

social media expert is kind of a ridiculous concept as well
  • man none of you are into this dystopian cyberpunk future at all
  • A lot of the time I don't even understand what the endgoal is.

Like, there's wanting to be able to do what you love for a living--which I totally understand, but then after that you're just in it for the....fame? I suppose? Even money gets progressively less valuable the more you have when you start to get into really big numbers.
    ITS NOT THE NINETIES ANYMORE NANEY
  • A lot of the time I don't even understand what the endgoal is.

Like, there's wanting to be able to do what you love for a living--which I totally understand, but then after that you're just in it for the....fame? I suppose? Even money gets progressively less valuable the more you have when you start to get into really big numbers.
    you do it for the vine
  • naney said:

man none of you are into this dystopian cyberpunk future at all

I was into it when Chief Keef's hologram got banned from Chicago.
  • I feel like this is somehow relevant to this thread

• kill living beings

Also something that I feel isn't discussed enough is, a lot of the time I see the sentiment expressed that people now express themselves primarily through digesting and discussing media.

The thing is that it's always been this way, media has just changed forms. Think about the idea of a Renaissance Man, for example.

i read a lot of 'scholarly' stuff, books where everyone reads a lot of scholarly stuff. these are generally decades old and pre internet and all but i still can't help feeling glad that other people did other things cos man it seems so self-concerned all the time. and now everyone's doing it and it's like oh god i'm watching a review of a let's play, the lack of Content is coming from inside my own mind
  • Also something that I feel isn't discussed enough is, a lot of the time I see the sentiment expressed that people now express themselves primarily through digesting and discussing media.

i read a lot of 'scholarly' stuff, books where everyone reads a lot of scholarly stuff. these are generally decades old and pre internet and all but i still can't help feeling glad that other people did other things cos man it seems so self-concerned all the time. and now everyone's doing it and it's like oh god i'm watching a review of a let's play, the lack of Content is coming from inside my own mind
    what?
  • kill living beings
    yeah
  • edited 2015-08-11 23:55:56
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.

and it's like oh god i'm watching a review of a let's play, the lack of Content is coming from inside my own mind

It's like being trapped in the Sixth Circle of Hell, Dis.

dis content
  • Haven said:

and it's like oh god i'm watching a review of a let's play, the lack of Content is coming from inside my own mind

It's like being trapped in the Sixth Circle of Hell, Dis.

dis content
    deez nutz?
  • kill living beings
    no that was me trying to express the worries that lead to my having a bit of sympathy for the Oh No Death Of Culture thing but it didn't work so retsupurae
  • there is a shitty metalcore band called deez nutz so as a term it has never been agreeable to me
    Dis(ney/covery)