You know what mildly frustates me?

People who dismiss criticism of Windows Vista by saying "well people only thought it was unreasonably slow and bloated because they were trying to run it on low-end XP-era hardware."

Well duh, that's the problem.

If a new Windows release can't run reasonably smooth on a computer designed for the Windows release immediately preceeding it, it has failed. It's not like we're talking about people running it on a Windows 98 machine, we're talking about people who bought an XP machine in 2006 and found Vista choked on it in 2007. Not acceptable.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Vista worked fine for me
  • kill living beings
    wasn't the Vista performance thing the fancy ass three dee desktop
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    As you can probably tell, ToastyTech is about 10 years behind the times when it comes to browser humor. x.x
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    lee4hmz said:

As you can probably tell, ToastyTech is about 10 years behind the times when it comes to browser humor. x.x

He's about 10 years behind the times when it comes to practically anything.

Also his insistence on referring to Windows 8.1 as "Windows 8 Service Pack 1" was irritating.
    Ugh. Someone needs to tell him that bad jokes about Windows updates are as stale as Windows 98 now. :P
    That and when people snark on Windows like that, it makes them sound like comp.os.linux.advocacy refugees. :P 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    One thing that always seemed weird to me is that he's just as harsh on most Linux WMs as he is on Windows, just for different reasons.

Reading his reviews of various systems really gives the impression that he thinks Windows 95 was the ultimate in user interface design.
    I remember when Windows 95 came out...people either loved it, weren't sure what to make of it, or thought it was a wholesale ripoff of OS/2 2.0 (more like convergent evolution spurred by NEXTSTEP, but whatever).
  • Only good UI design is Knights of the Old Republic's computer terminals.
  • ...that was a joke only I would find funny.
  • edited 2015-07-28 04:02:39
    We can do anything if we do it together.

One thing that always seemed weird to me is that he's just as harsh on most Linux WMs as he is on Windows, just for different reasons.

Reading his reviews of various systems really gives the impression that he thinks Windows 95 was the ultimate in user interface design.
    TBF, he seems to be at least neutral towards Mac OS X.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    There was a joke?
  • Kexruct said:

Only good UI design is Knights of the Old Republic's computer terminals.

Mid-Childa's terminals are better.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Speaking of: does anyone else feel like there was a revelation in website design based entirely around making archives really fucking annoying to search?
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Odradek said:

Speaking of: does anyone else feel like there was a revelation in website design based entirely around making archives really fucking annoying to search?

Oh god, yes
  • edited 2015-07-29 13:37:13
    Man, remember when people just put links to other related sites on their Web pages?

Now we have ads to do that for us.
    I remember that! Not to mention links to other people's sites you liked, which is what social media is for these days.