WALK and DONT WALK signals are becoming a thing of the past

edited 2012-01-26 19:20:38 in General
In favor of the now-standard hand/walking man icons.

I get the reasoning behind it--you want the meanings to be instantly recognizable even to people who can't read or don't know the English words "WALK" and "DONT WALK"--but all the same I'm kinda sad to see them go.
Tagged:

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I only ever saw these on television.  I don't know if they were ever a thing over here.
  • edited 2012-01-26 19:24:51
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I figure letters are also harder to discern than shapes, anyway.

^I'm pretty sure you can see them in less populated areas that have been developed less.
    The colours red and green are fairly universal, I think.

Though not so much if you're colourblind, I guess.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    The only times I've ever seen DON'T WALK were downtown.

What they've begun to do here recently is add beeps to indicate how long you have left to walk.
    Here the standard is that the green man starts to flicker and bleep when your time is almost up.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Here (in some parts of "here" at least), it begins beeping to let you know you're able to cross, and stops when the "do not walk" hand shows up.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I walk down to the bus station to go home when my classes are finished most days. Up until the second-to-last one I see, the walk signals on this street have countdown clocks to let you know how much time you have left (which varies from 15 seconds to 25 seconds depending on how long the intersection is). The others just flash the red hand when your time's about to run out.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Seattle signs often have a number that starts counting down to show you how much time you have to cross before the cars get a green light.
  • edited 2012-01-26 19:34:29
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The one with the countdown display is actually the current standard in the US, though that's a fairly recent thing so it's far from universal, so far.

Also, a few "WALK"/"DONT WALK" text signals can still be found around here, usually at intersections that obviously haven't been updated in many years.

Oddly enough, this particular signal was retrofitted with LED hand and walking man symbols, instead of simply replacing the whole unit.
    Wait, no, it begins bleeping when the green man shows up, and stops when he starts to flicker.

See, I said I was careless about these.
  • edited 2012-01-26 19:35:46
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^I actually think I prefer the old unit, although I have no idea why.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like the old unit, too. I just found it odd that that particular one was considered worthy of updating while the nearby intersections had their respective signals replaced entirely. Money-saving thing, I guess.

Also, the one on the other side of the same intersection still has its original "WALK"/"DONT WALK"
  • In Eugene, the hand/man signs are accompanied by a speaker that says "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT" when the sign is orange and "WALK SIGN IS ON" when it's white.

This is either for the deaf or to make the streets more cyberpunk.
  • Definately the second option.
  • edited 2012-01-26 21:20:21
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I think Portland just has beeping noises . Same as Yakima, WA.
  • Portland definitely has "WALK SIGN IS ON." Though it took me way too long to realize that's what they were saying.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Relevant:

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I love the timer, like it's counting down how much longer you have to "get fucked."
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The timers are pretty standard around here (especially in Arlington, where there's more foot traffic), but I don't think I've seen a green walk single in quite a while (walk signals are all lunar white here).
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Here the standard is that the green man starts to flicker and bleep when your time is almost up.

He doesnt even do that anymore
    He does too!

Unless the newer ones don't, but the ones at home do.  I think the ones here do as well, I'll have to check.
  • I don't think I've ever seen one without the walking man and the flashing hand.

And they're still orange and white here.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Here in Atlanta, they're still orange and white, from what I've seen. In fact, I don't think I remember ever seeing green walk signals except in Italy.

Also, the 7-lane crosswalk by the bus station I complain about a lot had a much more reasonable timeframe yesterday. I'm pleased.
    White and orange (specifically "Portland Orange") has been the standard in North America for a long time, the rationale being that those two colors are distinct from the red, yellow and green used for vehicular traffic.
    Also: GIF TIME

^ :D

And I checked the crossings around here and they totally still do the beepbeepbeepbeep thing and then the green man starts to flicker.  Whale, you are obviously getting fobbed off with substandard pelican crossings.
  • ^^ YAY PORTLAND!

The city is quite big and there seem to be a variety of sign types.
  • edited 2012-01-28 23:38:56
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Oh hey, I used to work in that area.

It's got a Wine Bar, and a neeto coffee shop that's also a Beowulf reference,and Voodoo Donuts II, and Sheridan Fruit Company, and Guardian Games.

Rather convenient place to be working.

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    And I checked the crossings around here and they totally still do the
    beepbeepbeepbeep thing and then the green man starts to flicker.  Whale,
    you are obviously getting fobbed off with substandard pelican
    crossings.

Are they all new crossings?
  • edited 2012-01-29 05:10:50
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    IDK, they don't look that old.

They can't be all that new though because I don't think they're making any new pelican crossings.  It's all puffin crossings nowadays for some reason.

Edit: OK, I looked it up and it turns out puffin crossings don't do the flicker-flicker thing, and they are phasing pelican crossings out because too many blind people were getting ran over.  I guess there's no point in having the green man flicker if it's on the side of the street where anyone crossing won't actually see it.
    > pelican crossing
    > puffin crossing

I had to look these terms up. Also, the symbols used on your pedestrian signals are neat.

In the US we always have the pedestrian signals on the far side of the intersection. The white man lights up, then after a few seconds it switches to a flashing orange hand (with or without a countdown timer), then to a steady orange hand. Technically one isn't supposed to enter the intersection once the hand has started flashing, but people regularly do it anyway--which I imagine is one reason why newer signals include a countdown.
  • Whoa, way cool.
    Apparently a crossing designed for use by equestrians is called a "pegasus crossing".

I get the idea behind the name--all the other crossing types are birds, so it makes sense to use a winged horse--but my first thought was "why does a pegasus need to cross a street?"
  • Because it's Fluttershy and flying scares her.
    Now I'm imagining the light going green and Fluttershy cautiously stepping out into the intersection, while a truck zooms by in the other direction (i.e., the street parallel to the crosswalk, where it wouldn't have been in danger of hitting her) and she gets scared and jumps back onto the sidewalk and Applejack and Rainbow have to drag her across the street, holding up traffic as they do.
  • Fluttershy actually doesn't seem that concerned about flying in the later episodes.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!