Dream meanings

Sometimes I feel weird in that, no, my dreams are not laden with veiled symbolism. If I'm having anxieties, then those anxieties are going to manifest themselves in a straightforward, self-evident way. None of this "showing up to something important naked" shit.

Comments

• nobodys dreams are filled with veiled symbolism that's just freud bullshit
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

nobodys dreams are filled with veiled symbolism that's just freud bullshit

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've had the naked dreams before but usually it takes the form of "oh, I'm not wearing clothes this time. oh well."
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I often have dreams about being lost in a large building, which might be some kind of symbolism, or just the result of playing too many games like Zelda, Metroid, etc.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I often have dreams about being lost in a large building, which might be some kind of symbolism, or just the result of playing too many games like Zelda, Metroid, etc.

same
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "Lost in large building" dreams are fun! You get to explore, and if anyone tries to stop you, just say "I'm the Princess Regnant, you dunce, I can do as I please!"
    i never get that part.

But then, rarely does anyone try to stop me.
    also the 'large building' is usually somewhere i know, supposedly, but the layout is completely different
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    My most recurring nightmare is being stuck at a bus stop next to a dusty highway in the middle of summer and the bus never comes
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Waiting for the Godot Bus
    I am writing a rationalist version of Waiting For Godot, in which Vladimir and Estragon get tired of waiting, and create a Friendly AI Godot, and then use it to become High IQ Rationalist Success Stories-someone on Less Wrong, probably
    LessWrong has undergone a weird evolution for me

from horribly intimidating, to kinda interesting but confusing, to unpleasant but amusing and mildly intriguing nonetheless, to bile fascination, to just gross and boring
  • kill living beings
    similar unfortunately
    I never bought into that shit, even during the heyday of Desertopa and Nornagest.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

similar unfortunately

ooooh dreamweaver
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

I never bought into that shit, even during the heyday of Desertopa and Nornagest.

at this point I mostly remember Desertopa for claiming that if babies went to heaven, the right thing to do would be to kill them at birth
    Calica said:

Odradek said:

at this point I mostly remember Desertopa for claiming that if babies went to heaven, the right thing to do would be to kill them at birth
    I'm sure it's on some crowning moment of win page somewhere
  • ...ok the first time I read that I was like lol what an edgelord but the more I think about that I'm not seeing how it is wrong tbh
  • of course that does not preclude said poster that I don't remember from being an edgelord
  • Calica said:

Odradek said:

I don't remember this at all

I apparently missed out on a lot of shit
  • then again I do remember Korgmeister claiming that we need to euthanize anyone diagnosed with ASPD
  • well I mean obviously killing babies is wrong

but like, a similar and less edgelordy train of logic would imply that the best thing to do as a person is to be born and then just end up dying asap

which is clearly absurd
  • I'm missing something here
    naney said:

of course that does not preclude said poster that I don't remember from being an edgelord

he was really anti-religious and trying to make people who believed in compassionate versions of christianity uncomfortable
    I hated him so much.
  • ok that's good now help me figure out how he is wrong
  • I mean beyond the active infanticide
  • this is exactly the sort of thing that makes religions in general super confusing to me
    naney said:

ok that's good now help me figure out how he is wrong

I didn't bring it up, Poni did.

I don't really feel like dissecting his take on theology
  • doesn't everybody have a basic right to life
  • because I think for most of us "the active infanticide" is the long and short of its wrongness
  • doesn't everybody have a basic right to life

yes but if you die before you fuck up you're getting infinite reward

so if you kill a baby who would have gone to hell before it fucks up you have saved it.

which makes no sense
  • The reason it's a non-argument is because there's so many different conceptions of what heaven is and how you get there that you'd have to refute it like ten different ways depending on what you actually believe.

You have to make a ton of assumptions about what Christians believe for it to be "the right thing to do".
    Why is it that supposedly intelligent, moral people are the ones who want to enslave themselves to an unintelligent, amoral process?  Antinatalist Antelope
  • For one thing not all Christians believe that children are born innocent, that's mostly a Catholic belief, other denominations believe unbaptized infants who die go to Hell or Purgatory, in which case active infanticide would be the exact wrong thing to do.
  • I get that most Christians don't believe that, I'm just talking about this one premise of how reality could function
  • naney said:

I get that most Christians don't believe that, I'm just talking about this one premise of how reality could function

I am not sure what you're talking about.

For one thing not all Christians believe that children are born innocent, that's mostly a Catholic belief, other denominations believe unbaptized infants who die go to Hell or Purgatory, in which case active infanticide would be the exact wrong thing to do.

I thought the Catholics say or used to say that unbaptized babies go to Limbo or something?
  • Calica said:

For one thing not all Christians believe that children are born innocent, that's mostly a Catholic belief, other denominations believe unbaptized infants who die go to Hell or Purgatory, in which case active infanticide would be the exact wrong thing to do.

I thought the Catholics say or used to say that unbaptized babies go to Limbo or something?
    well Catholics are bad at agreeing, but I was always told they go to Heaven.
    i remember at the time i thought Desertopa was being incredibly clever and witty with that argument and that he had proven irrefutably the silliness of that belief by exposing the inconsistency of holding it and not killing a million babies
  • edited 2015-07-08 22:45:12

naney said:

I get that most Christians don't believe that, I'm just talking about this one premise of how reality could function

I am not sure what you're talking about.
    the premise that unbaptised infants go to heaven.

the problem here is that that said premise leads to a blatantly immoral and rather silly conclusion (kill all the babies), and in the other premise you have a god who sends small babies to hell, which is obviously morally repugnant and not exactly the behavior of the sort of god most good people would consider worshipping?
  • edited 2015-07-08 22:45:44
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Well now he wouldn't make that argument, because killing all babies would not preserve the good health and sanctity of the White European race culture
    i remember someone pointed out that if you committed infanticide you would probably go to hell yourself, and he said 'that seems like an awfully selfish reason not to kill a million babies'

iirc that did indeed get posted to MoW
    Odradek said:

Well now he wouldn't make that argument, because killing all babies would not preserve the good health and sanctity of the White European race culture

he's one of those ones?
    Probably.
    well, i wouldn't like to make that assumption about anybody

he never seemed like the reactionary type to me back on tvt, though that was years ago now
    I don't feel bad about making it about Less Wrong peeps, because they let the fucking nazis into their clubhouse.
    I'd be a little wary about calling Jewish people nazis even so but whatever