I like trolls, but only if they're funny and not boring

No you fucking don't. Stop lying.

Comments

• similarly, I never understood the appeal of "Internet drama" involving random people I don't know and things I don't care about
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    some of the things people posted here from twitter in the past were kind of amusing

mostly that kind of stuff is tiresome to me, though

i guess some people must find trolling funny, or there wouldn't be trolls
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Oh gee golly, those trolls targeting other people sure were funny, but for some mysterious reason I don't find this trolling directed at me funny-every idiot ever
    well, yes, that's a fair point

to me it depends how bad it is, if it's just like a bad pun and the person loses their shit over it it's difficult to sympathize, especially if said person was being nasty immediately prior

it is inherently sadistic, though
    Trolls suck.
    Odradek said:

it's weird to see a distinction drawn between Anonymous and the racist trolls

as though there's never racism on 4chan
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonymous means the "hactivists" that basically split off from 4chan
    i guess

the terminology is confusing though

because plenty of trolling has been done under that name
    when they hacked the KKK the KKK complained and called them a bunch of cowards who hide behind masks
  • "Good" trolling is, to me, stuff like going through great pains to accomplish something minimally unpleasant or inconvenient for another person, or causing consternation in someone over something arbitrary.

For example, having someone inquire as to the nature of Updog.
    William Randolph Hearst: I would enjoy Citizen Kane, but it's not even quality trolling. Who could like this?
  • Citizen Kane wasnt even that good
    naney said:

Citizen Kane wasnt even that good

-William Randolph Hearst
    naney said:

-Jorge Luis Borges
    subs >>>>>>>>>> dubs motherfuckers
    Calica said:

subs >>>>>>>>>> dubs motherfuckers

Odradek said:

naney said:

-Jorge Luis Borges

• @thread title: which is why Tavros should have stayed fucking dead.
    Tavros was my favourite troll for a while, although he was rapidly eclipsed by other trolls

i liked him less after he died, i felt he became less funny and more annoying
  • you keep misspelling Tarvos's name and pretending it's not a .hack// boss
  • Calica said:

Geh, I always thought Anonymous were just a couple of morons who thought they were tough for being douchebags on the Internet.

you keep misspelling Tarvos's name and pretending it's not a .hack// boss

You keep misspelling 'Torvus' and pretending it's not an area in Metroid Prime 2.
    Acererak said:

Calica said:

Geh, I always thought Anonymous were just a couple of morons who thought they were tough for being douchebags on the Internet.
    That certainly used to be the case.
  • It isn't now?
    It is but it's also the case that you have a bunch of people calling themselves Anonymous and engaging in serious activism.

i think that's part of the reason 4chan seems so resentful these days.
  • Tachyon said:

It is but it's also the case that you have a bunch of people calling themselves Anonymous and engaging in serious activism.

Oh, those folks.

Yeah, they're still widely regarded as a group of Internet Tough Guys.
  • Also lots of overlap between the two re: gamergate
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Borges liked Citizen Kane, though
    Citizen Kane (called The Citizen in Argentina) has at least two plots. The first, pointlessly banal, attempts to milk applause from dimwits: a vain millionaire collects statues, gardens, palaces, swimming pools, diamonds, cars, libraries, man and women. Like an earlier collector (whose observations are usually ascribed to the Holy Ghost), he discovers that this cornucopia of miscellany is a vanity of vanities: all is vanity. At the point of death, he yearns for onr single thing in the universe, the humble sled he played with as a child!
    The second plot is far superior. It link the Koheleth to the memory of another nihilist, Franz Kafka.  A kind of metaphysical detective story, its subject (both psychological and allegorical) is the investigation of a man’s inner self, through the works he has wrought, the words he has spoken, the many lives he has ruined. The same technique was used by Joseph Conrad in Chance (1914) and in that beautiful film The Power and the Glory: a rhapsody of miscellaneous scenes without chronological order. Overwhelmingly, endlessly, Orson Welles shows fragments of the life of the man, Charles Foster kane, and invites us to combine them and to reconstruct him. Form of multiplicity and incongruity abound in the film: the first scenes record the treasures amassed by Kane; in one of the last, a poor woman, luxuriant and suffering, plays with an enormous jigsaw puzzle on the floor of a palace that is also a museum. At the end we realize that the fragments are not governed by any secret unity: the detested Charles Foster Kane is a simulacrum, a chaos of appearances. (A possible corollary, foreseen by David Hume, Ernst Mach, and our own Macedonio Fernandez: no man knows who he is, no man is anyone.) In a story by Chesterton — “The Head of Caesar,” I think — the hero observes that nothing is so frightening as a labyrinth with no center. This film is precisely that labyrinth.
    We all know that a party, a palace, a great undertaking, a lunch for writers and journalists, an atmosphere of cordial and spontaneous camaraderie, are essentially horrendous. Citizen Kane is the first film to show such things with an awareness of this truth.
    The production is, in general, worthy of its vast subject. The cinematography has a striking depth, and there are shots whose farthest planes (like Pre-Raphaelite paintings) are as precise and detailed as the close-ups.
    I venture to guess, nonetheless, that Citizen Kane will endure as a certain Griffith or Pudovkin films have “endured”—films whose historical value is undeniable but which no one cares to see again. It is too gigantic, pedantic, tedious. It is not intelligent, though it is the work of genius—in the most nocturnal and Germanic sense of that bad word.
  • edited 2015-07-08 16:40:20
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "We all know that a party, a palace, a great undertaking, a lunch for writers and journalists, an atmosphere of cordial and spontaneous camaraderie, are essentially horrendous."

well I can't disagree with that
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Trolls are mean-spirited people being rude and pretending that that makes them tough.
    That is what it seems to mean lately, but i feel like the definition changed somehow, because it used to imply some kind of prank whereas now it seems to mean flaming and harrassment.

Not that the pranks weren't malicious at times, but i thought the element of deception involved was built into the definition of 'trolling'.
    CWDMoZUU4AA7Hqt.png
    what part of jojos is that guy from
    Part 3

Yellow Temperance
    oh, that fucker
  • Haven said:

@thread title: which is why Tavros should have stayed fucking dead.

Thank you, past Haven. I was going to come in here and say "one of the reasons why Nepeta and Equius are so likable" but I like your way of doing things too.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like how you had two separate Homestuck jokes to go here
    same
  • Citizen Kane (called The Citizen in Argentina) has at least two plots. The first, pointlessly banal, attempts to milk applause from dimwits: a vain millionaire collects statues, gardens, palaces, swimming pools, diamonds, cars, libraries, man and women. Like an earlier collector (whose observations are usually ascribed to the Holy Ghost), he discovers that this cornucopia of miscellany is a vanity of vanities: all is vanity. At the point of death, he yearns for onr single thing in the universe, the humble sled he played with as a child!
    The second plot is far superior. It link the Koheleth to the memory of another nihilist, Franz Kafka.  A kind of metaphysical detective story, its subject (both psychological and allegorical) is the investigation of a man’s inner self, through the works he has wrought, the words he has spoken, the many lives he has ruined. The same technique was used by Joseph Conrad in Chance (1914) and in that beautiful film The Power and the Glory: a rhapsody of miscellaneous scenes without chronological order. Overwhelmingly, endlessly, Orson Welles shows fragments of the life of the man, Charles Foster kane, and invites us to combine them and to reconstruct him. Form of multiplicity and incongruity abound in the film: the first scenes record the treasures amassed by Kane; in one of the last, a poor woman, luxuriant and suffering, plays with an enormous jigsaw puzzle on the floor of a palace that is also a museum. At the end we realize that the fragments are not governed by any secret unity: the detested Charles Foster Kane is a simulacrum, a chaos of appearances. (A possible corollary, foreseen by David Hume, Ernst Mach, and our own Macedonio Fernandez: no man knows who he is, no man is anyone.) In a story by Chesterton — “The Head of Caesar,” I think — the hero observes that nothing is so frightening as a labyrinth with no center. This film is precisely that labyrinth.
    We all know that a party, a palace, a great undertaking, a lunch for writers and journalists, an atmosphere of cordial and spontaneous camaraderie, are essentially horrendous. Citizen Kane is the first film to show such things with an awareness of this truth.
    The production is, in general, worthy of its vast subject. The cinematography has a striking depth, and there are shots whose farthest planes (like Pre-Raphaelite paintings) are as precise and detailed as the close-ups.
    I venture to guess, nonetheless, that Citizen Kane will endure as a certain Griffith or Pudovkin films have “endured”—films whose historical value is undeniable but which no one cares to see again. It is too gigantic, pedantic, tedious. It is not intelligent, though it is the work of genius—in the most nocturnal and Germanic sense of that bad word.

this makes me like Citizen Kane a lot more honestly

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Citizen Kane's pretty good.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

That is what it seems to mean lately, but i feel like the definition changed somehow, because it used to imply some kind of prank whereas now it seems to mean flaming and harrassment.

Not that the pranks weren't malicious at times, but i thought the element of deception involved was built into the definition of 'trolling'.

Yeah, all of this.

I feel like the original sense was meant to imply getting an interesting reaction out of a person with a penchant for overreaction though, for example, Socratic irony: "I have no idea what [well-known thing] is about at all. Could you enlighten me?" It's an elaborate joke played on the kind of person who takes everything deadly seriously, but most of all themselves.