Cincinnati or Pittsburgh?

As a setting? I'm leaning towards Pittsburgh...

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    a setting for what, a horror film?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I want Cincinnatus to burst out of the ground in Hamilton County, his eyes burning with hunger and vengeance, naked sword clutched in his bony, clawed hands.

This summer...he's no longer content to let absolute power be taken away from him. This summer...he's here to TAKE EVERYTHING.

Face Cincinnatus in...THUS ALWAYS TO TYRANTS
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    This is ignorant, but i'm not clear on the difference between the two enough to say which makes for a better setting.  i associate both primarily with sports . . .

'A setting for what?' is a good, relevant question.
  • Tachyon said:

This is ignorant, but i'm not clear on the difference between the two enough to say which makes for a better setting.  i associate both primarily with sports . . .

Pittsburgh has steel and Wiz Khalifa, Cincinnati has 

well

a cool name I guess.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Cincinnati was almost called Porkopolis
    New Pork City
    Cincinnati Freedom
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Cincinnati was where I got the name "Queen City", incidentally
  • edited 2015-07-07 18:17:46
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Cincinnati was where I got the name "Queen City", incidentally

I always thought of Charlotte, NC myself, what with "Queen City" being a thing it's called
  • a setting for what, a horror film?

my surrealist situation comedy coming to ABC whenever I feel it should
  • Tachyon said:

Pittsburgh has steel and Wiz Khalifa, Cincinnati has 

well

a cool name I guess.
    Cinci has Kings Island and that neat song that i learned from the babes in toyland starring Drew Barrymore. this one.
  • Kings Island was once locally owned by the hated Taft Broadcasting *hiss*
    Pittsburgh has more bridges than any other city.
  • There's one problem with this totally unrelated to the setting:

My sitcom's titular character is supposed to be a "family man" and his wife a cult escapee. I could get rid of the kids, but my experiences with adult life are limited and still hinder me. >_>
  • since when have sitcoms drawn on realistic adult life experiences?
  • I don't want to be a hack though. I want to make fun of hackery. But I'm too shit for that I guess.
  • so make fun of the hackery you know and ask your friends who are older about the hackery you don't have experience with? 
    you're not shit

situation comedy is normally about drawing humour from the characters and scenarios, though, rather than parodying other shows, though parody can of course be an element of it
  • like, this is not rocket science and even if it were you have access to people with experiences you lack, now more than ever.
  • I'm not parodying other shows wholesale. I generally want to do my own thing.

The premise of my show is that the family man writes in the sports pages for the Cincinnati Picayune or Pittsburgh Herald, which is grappling with a digital future it doesn't grasp. His wife of course was born into a cult, which her family escaped from when she was 13.

(Also, I admit, the setting was originally going to be Cincinnati because it seemed like a perfectly "average"-sounding city to me, but the Steelers thread led me to probably shift it to Pittsburgh)
  • I'm sorry, Myr and Imi
  • alright then

What should my characters do in Pittsburgh for fun and such?
    yinz should go downtown to Dave and Busters
  • maybe, if the kids do make the cut, they can go there for a birthday celebration, but that's a chain...

also I'd dearly love for it to be a "can we have our money now" type of thing
    Good places in Pittsburgh: the varied museums

Dave and Busters

the Waterfront movie theatre
  • of course, the museums
  • ...should I just set this thing in Denver? I would do it were it not for my penchant for escapism
    i think Denver would be a good choice, but i see no reason why you shouldn't set it in Pittsburgh (or Cincinnati) if you'd prefer.

Just means you'd have to do more research.
  • edited 2015-07-07 23:41:36
    Odradek makes a valid point about regional dialects. That's another area of research unless your family are transplants from an area with a regional dialect you're more familiar with. Basically what Tachyon said. Don't be afraid of it, just do your work.
  • yeah I was wondering how I ought to handle the dialect thing

I think I know how to write those anyway (southern accented characters, like Huckleberry Hound and Hammer Barbara, have a lot of "yew" in their speech)
  • of course that's a different dialect than that "yinz" one
    "yew" and "you" are homophones, to my ears
  • It's the way in which it's spoken.
  • and the words that surround it
    drawing out the diphthong . . . i think that's just accent, though, and doesn't need to be in the script, the actors will take care of that

the surrounding words are trickier
    because when it's a question of dialect you need to pay attention to word order and vocabulary
  • i was born in cincinnati
  • cincinnati is also apparently one of the relatively more conservative major cities in the US
  • MachSpeed said:

I want Cincinnatus to burst out of the ground in Hamilton County, his eyes burning with hunger and vengeance, naked sword clutched in his bony, clawed hands.

This summer...he's no longer content to let absolute power be taken away from him. This summer...he's here to TAKE EVERYTHING.

Face Cincinnatus in...THUS ALWAYS TO TYRANTS
    would watch
  • Tachyon said:

drawing out the diphthong . . . i think that's just accent, though, and doesn't need to be in the script, the actors will take care of that

the surrounding words are trickier

well the actors and the voice director

but tbh readers of my 101 and CDY teleplays, I feel, should have the aural portrait painted for them because there is no one actually providing the voices (in my head, Hammer Barbara was Jean Vander Pyl at first and Tress MacNeille after Vander Pyl died, and Huck is Jeff Bennett due to Daws Butler's death)
    Fair enough.

i have a moderate dislike of eye dialect which i know most people don't share.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Laugh, you sons of bitches.
  • MachSpeed said:

at Cincinnatus?
    At my dumb movie joke.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Tachyon said:

Fair enough.

i have a moderate dislike of eye dialect which i know most people don't share.

Oh, I dislike that, too. Droppin' the "g"s from your "ing"s is acceptable, but anythin' more makes me roll my eyes.
  • MachSpeed said:

• Also I'll be honest, I feel guilty making the patriarchal character a big Steeler fan because I don't like Roethlisberger and feel myself and ABC to be enabling him somehow
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Also I'll be honest, I feel guilty making the patriarchal character a big Steeler fan because I don't like Roethlisberger and feel myself and ABC to be enabling him somehow

You worry about the strangest things
    they should go to the Carnegie Science Center.