Pennsylvania

the Keystone State, because I want to talk about it at times.

Here's a hiker talking about Palmerton, the town I used to live in.

Comments

• It's weird that everyone just seems to instinctively know just about every city in the state when they live there

There are a million towns around Maryville that I don't know about but in PA it seems like people are very knowledgeable about locations and stuff
  • I know the general area I live in pretty well.

Couldn't tell you shit about say, Bangor though.
  • I know less about my own home state than I should. I know that Denver is, among other things, the birthplace of many a fast-casual restaurant chain, Aurora is more ethnically diverse than Denver proper, Boulder is the cool college town, Colorado Springs is a hotbed of the religious right, read Fast Food Nation describe Pueblo as "the asshole of Colorado," and read a Farker compare Grand Junction to a Klan meeting.
  • There aren't many notable towns where I live.

Allentown is the big one. Tamaqua (that's tah-mah-kwuh if you're from around here and taw-maw-kwah if you're not) and Jim Thorpe too.

There's also Swiftwater which isn't big but is important to the medical industry. Slightly farther afield you've got Bethlehem, Easton on the NJ border, and farther afield than that you have Lancaster and King-of-Prussia.

I grew up in Catasaqua which is a suburb of Allentown and later Palmerton, which is not quite a suburb of Jim Thorpe but kinda might as well be, ditto Walnutport where I live now.
  • edited 2015-07-07 08:33:55
    Kexruct said:

It's weird that everyone just seems to instinctively know just about every city in the state when they live there

Not exactly.

When I lived in Florida, I couldn't tell Cooper City, Davie, Plantation, Pembroke Pines, and Hollywood apart.  Sunrise and Coral Springs were a little to the north.  Weston was this new thing out west with some expensive houses or someshit.  And we were supposedly in Fort Lauderdale, except we weren't.  (Actually, we were in Broward County, of which the most famous city-level subdivision is Ft. Lauderdale, about a half hour drive away.)

Okay, Broward County is pretty huge.  But outside of that, all I knew was:
    * Boca Raton is a 45-minute drive northward.  West Palm Beach is even further.  Port St. Lucie and Jupiter are even further north, and that's where a nuclear power plant is.
    * Miami is to the south.  Coral Gables is part of Miami.
    * Key West is a several-hour drive to the south over a ton of bridges.
    * The Everglades are somewhere to the west, but I wasn't sure where.
    * Tampa is on the west coast, 5 hours away.  St. Petersburg is next to Tampa.
    * Orlando/Kissimmee, the location of Disney World, is a 4-hour drive northward.
    * Ocala is a 5-hour drive northward.
    * Jacksonville/Gainesville/Tallahassee/Georgia border is a 10-hour drive northward.

Only later did I learn more geography, both from looking at election results and re-examining my past and also helping my parents with house-hunting.
  • edited 2015-07-07 08:31:12
    "The state" was specifically referring to Pennsylvania in this case
  • Yeah, I was going to say that anything north of Orlando, with the exception of Gainesville because of the college there, is basically the equivalent of the shadow places in the Lion King. Light doesn't touch that mess and neither do I

I've only been to Key West on one occasion. It's very old folks touristy.
  • Yeah, I was going to say that anything north of Orlando, with the exception of Gainesville because of the college there, is basically the equivalent of the shadow places in the Lion King. Light doesn't touch that mess and neither do I

Drew Magary says that Jacksonville isn't a real city
  • Darktown was an area within Coplay that didn't have any electricity until the mid 80s (1983 if I remember right).

Interesting bit of local history.
  • Kexruct said:

It's weird that everyone just seems to instinctively know just about every city in the state when they live there

Not exactly.

When I lived in Florida, I couldn't tell Cooper City, Davie, Plantation, Pembroke Pines, and Hollywood apart.  Sunrise and Coral Springs were a little to the north.  Weston was this new thing out west with some expensive houses or someshit.  And we were supposedly in Fort Lauderdale, except we weren't.  (Actually, we were in Broward County, of which the most famous city-level subdivision is Ft. Lauderdale, about a half hour drive away.)

Okay, Broward County is pretty huge.  But outside of that, all I knew was:
    * Boca Raton is a 45-minute drive northward.  West Palm Beach is even further.  Port St. Lucie and Jupiter are even further north, and that's where a nuclear power plant is.
    * Miami is to the south.  Coral Gables is part of Miami.
    * Key West is a several-hour drive to the south over a ton of bridges.
    * The Everglades are somewhere to the west, but I wasn't sure where.
    * Tampa is on the west coast, 5 hours away.  St. Petersburg is next to Tampa.
    * Orlando/Kissimmee, the location of Disney World, is a 4-hour drive northward.
    * Ocala is a 5-hour drive northward.
    * Jacksonville/Gainesville/Tallahassee/Georgia border is a 10-hour drive northward.

Only later did I learn more geography, both from looking at election results and re-examining my past and also helping my parents with house-hunting.
    Hey, I lived just outside of Lauderdale for a very short time, my dad lives there.