Controversial opinion: movies should look more like games.

edited 2015-07-03 07:23:05 in General
See, like, when they have those battle scenes in movies, and it's all just a bunch of special effects, showing hundreds of armed men going at each other, or major characters locking swords (like idiots), or aircraft/spacecraft shooting at each other and frantically trying to dodge the shots, etc.. -- all those are so obviously effects.

It's like, here's a show of special effects.  Look, special effects!  Look, stuff blowing up!  Look, people getting killed left and right!  Okay, we're done here, now here's your outcome.

So?  That didn't make me feel anything.  I didn't understand what was going on, other than "a fight occurred".

No, instead, why don't you think more like a videogame.  Present me the rules by which the conflict operates:
1. give me a good sense of the layout of the battlefield.
2. what are the objectives?  just kill as much of the opposing dudes as possible?  or to reach certain destinations to deliver intel?  or to connect certain supply lines?
2. what tactics are each side using or intending to use, and how do they change as the battle progresses?
3. how and when does the tide of battle change?  what are major losses or wins (other than "oh no, this important character died)?  how do individual units (or in the case of smaller-scale fights, individual actions) actually affect the course of the combat -- e.g. misdirection, buying time, going an odd path to flank the enemy, prepping one object/feature beyond the enemy's immediate comprehension, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't much mind if movies just switched to a strategy RPG battle scenario map and plunked down all the units onto it like chess pieces and played out the scenario that way.  At least I'd have a better understand of what went on.  And it's not like diagrams and recounts of troop movements are much different anyway.

That's because the best fight scenes are the ones that establish the "rules" under which the confrontation takes place -- the lay of the land, the abilities of the opposing characters/factions -- and then it shows me, mechanically, how it plays out.  I get to marvel at really smart moves or cringe at key tactical blunders.

Otherwise you might as well just tell me that superhero A fought supervillain B and here's a laundry list of the collateral damage caused.

Comments

• This whole thing applies to non-combat things too.  Show me _how_ it happens in the universe's mechanics.  Don't just tell me it happened.  I'm not here to see a laundry list of cases solved by this one detective who's known for style.  I'm here to see HOW he/she solved them.  And so on.

Yeah yeah yeah I'm itching for an argument over this.  And I can't bring myself to actually trollpost, so instead I've half-assed written up this piece of crap.  Feel free to shitpost this thread.  It's in the General category so you don't have to feel bad.
  • edited 2015-07-03 07:35:12
    Meanwhile, videogames, stop trying to imitate movies.

I don't need your twerking twirling camera to understand what a scene is like.  I can get it just fine from a set of 16-bit tiles.

I don't need close-ups of people's faces just to understand their feelings, when expressively-designed sprites will do.

I'm looking at the world from this nice top-down or side-view (or even first-person) perspective.  Don't interrupt it and fuck over my immersion just because YOU HAVE A PRETTY AMV TO SHOW, OOH, SO PRETTY spend your fucking art budget elsewhere will ya.

Just, like, y'know, move the pieces around.  It makes a lot more sense, in fact, when the camera isn't zooming across the chessboard on waterskis or something.
  • If you're gonna make them talk, please, pace the text boxes like actual speech.  That means speeding up and slowing down and not leaving stupid huge pauses at the end of each box and also occasionally interrupting other people.

Leave an option to turn off autoadvancing text or something.

Or we can just, like, not make them talk, save on the voicework budget, and I can imagine their voices just fine when you put up text boxes.
  • I don't really care how gorgeously rendered your piece of crap is, if I feel like I'm just constantly on some theme park ride.

On a similar vein, no need to constantly shift view focus between the two characters when a dialogue is going.  Just show me both of them, maybe show speech bubbles.  My eyes are capable of movement, and if they're not, my neck is.
  • But yeah.  That thing about the fight scenes.

If you want me to get invested in a fight scene, you have to, well, get me invested.

A fight scene that's just [bunch of special effects and then outcome happens] is not investment.  That's the same investment as I'd have as some character who wasn't involved in the fight, watching it.

If you want to put me into the shoes of a participant, then you'll have to tell me what that participant's abilities and limitations are.
  • Oh, live action stuff is still somewhat more believable.  Animated fight scenes?  Unless they're much clearer as to how stuff happens, I'm like, yeah, I don't get it.

Unless you can show me that those mooks actually have a shit accuracy stat, or that our hero has a special ability that lets her avoid tons of bullets, I'm not going to feel that her avoiding tons of bullets while flying straight into the face of them is justified at all.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I disagree on pretty much everything you've said but I also don't feel like arguing.

So. You are wrong. About almost everything here. And I'm going to let you continue to be wrong. Except that thing about video games trying to be movies. I agree with that.
  • MachSpeed said:

So. You are wrong. About almost everything here.
    The MachMagusHarvey ship in a nutshell
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Get the spade out if we start fighting. Then bonk me over the head with it. Then bonk him over the head with it. Then dig two graves, drop us in there, and then fill it up and pack it tight. And then leave us there.

For if we fight, then there is truly no hope for either of us, and we must be returned to the cycle of rebirth.
  • Mach, I respect your religious sensibilities, even if you once tried to have sex with my God and made everything weird forever, but I'm almost certain that's not the best way to solve things if a fight breaks out
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I pretty much agree with gmh for once

how odd
  • nothing can be improved by making it more like a video game because I have yet to encounter a video game that isn't almost entirely devoid of artistic merit
  • Roger Ebert was right
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    nothing can be improved by making it more like a video game because I have yet to encounter a video game that isn't almost entirely devoid of artistic merit
    http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/the-game-changing-ideas-of-icycalm-1470454/
  • I'm not even trolling this is my actual lived experience
    naney could be improved by making him more like a video game
  • naney said:

nothing can be improved by making it more like a video game because I have yet to encounter a video game that isn't almost entirely devoid of artistic merit

shadow of the colossus is supposed to be pretty rad

ive never played it myself though
    ll this suddenlydisappears once the masses have been unleashed on the art of painting, and any bungler can make a name for himself by playing the virtuoso in front of uneducated half-peasants who were born yesterday and don't know any better. Impressionism therefore was not, as is often said, the cause of the decline of painting but its consequence — the cause was the opening up of the artform to the masses. The decisive moment, therefore, was not, strictly speaking, the appearance of Impressionism, as I said earlier,but the French Revolutionwhich hastened the rise of the middle class and would eventually lead to its dominance — the temporal disparity between the two events being merely the time it took for the ripples of the political catastrophe to arrive and make themselves felt in the domain of painting (as they would eventually be felt in every one of the various areas of culture). — What followed after Impressionism is, of course, history, and indeed such abysmally wretched history that I cannot even be bothered to seriously study it, much less relate it in any detail. Briefly then, with the appearance of the ludicrous, childish, and even grotesque visual abortions, first of the Expressionists and then of the Cubists (the former of which were merely further degenerate Impressionistic works, i.e. made by artists who were not even competent enough to paint in the Impressionist style, while the latter finally regressing to the level of children's and cavemen's stick-figure doodles), the floodgates were at last thrown open, and the random paint splotches of the so-called "Abstract" style which followed shortly after (a style without any rules whatsoever, that is to say a non-style, a free-for-all pseudo-style invented specifically for the benefit of the most lazy, the most talentless, the most incorrigibly incompetent pseudo-artists), signaled the death of painting. Finally some random dude like William Burroughs could come in, with no prior training in painting whatsoever, indeed with a downright contempt and disdain for the artform, place some cans of spray paint in front of blank canvasses and blow them up with a fucking shotgun for christsake, then go on to exhibit in galleries the resulting splattered canvasses as "High Art", indeed as on a par with the glories of a Raphael or a Titian — without anyone spontaneously erupting in side-splitting laughter, then taking the idiot's "paintings" off the wall and smashing them in his face. — So much for painting then
  • sunn wolf said:

naney said:

people tell me there are good ones and then I play them and they end up being roughly on par with a mediocre pulp fantasy novel that you read once and go that was OK and then you never remember or pick up again
    I credit-feed all the time, fuck you if you don't like it Mr. Icycalm
  • I tried so, so, so hard to like video games, I bought so many, I downloaded emulators, I read reviews, I learned about good and bad game design, I poured hours of time into it and what an utter waste of my time and goodwill it was
    naney said:

sunn wolf said:

naney said:

people tell me there are good ones and then I play them and they end up being roughly on par with a mediocre pulp fantasy novel that you read once and go that was OK and then you never remember or pick up again
    paps naney
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-07-03 16:28:32
    I'm one of those folks who would say that games can have artistic merit if the creators intended to include it, but I could also probably find artistic merit in a block of Swiss cheese if I wanted.
  • Video games engage in different ways than other media. For one thing, most of the best video game stories are found in games that are very, uh, how do I put this, genre-y.
    naney said:

I tried so, so, so hard to like video games, I bought so many, I downloaded emulators, I read reviews, I learned about good and bad game design, I poured hours of time into it and what an utter waste of my time and goodwill it was

Well sorry.
  • It's also a new medium with some unique issues. But artistic merit is there. In some places. Usually buried under many flaws. But there nonetheless.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Video games are very good for creating self-contained worlds, and the escapism that enables.

That's not all they're good for, but imo it's a particular strength of the medium, besides the obvious (the ability to create new and unusual challenges for the player) and one which i value a lot.
    Odradek said:

Warning: this is a bad video featuring toxic amounts of Affected Nerd Speech Voice
  • The nature of interactivity makes powerful statements hit a lot closer to home, too.
  • maybe that is the issue

when I look at art I usually am looking for it to show me the experiences and thoughts and feelings of other people, not myself
    Mayhaps
    Has anyone else noticed Affected Nerd Speech Voice?

The Game Theory guy does it too.
  • I would argue that talking about artistic merit is missing the point of a good many video games.
    naney said:

maybe that is the issue

when I look at art I usually am looking for it to show me the experiences and thoughts and feelings of other people, not myself

play
    Gone Home or something idk
  • In an earlier time in my life I would be all "hlllbllllgh how can you say you don't like an entire medium" but I'm pretty sure that I have seen exactly one good movie in my entire life so whatevs.
  • naney said:

maybe that is the issue

Also you don't seem to "get" a lot of genre stuff.

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah, it's annoying. One thing I like about Pop Fiction is that he just speaks to you and lets the dramatic or revealing parts speak for themselves.
  • like lemme put it this way would you look for artistic merit in Settlers of Catan?

There are of course video games that aren't very gamey at all, stuff like Yume Nikki and the aforementioned Gone Home, but those are exceptions and a lot of people would contest those being games at all (what term they would then use I don't know, I'm not one for the "is it a game" debate but that's another horse race altogether).
    Kexruct said:

naney said:

maybe that is the issue

Also you don't seem to "get" a lot of genre stuff.

plus you hate any form of music that isn't Kvlt underground avant-garde doom death screamo grindcore trap mixtapes
  • that just isn't true I spent the whole of yesterday listening to Yes and REM and Enya

I would argue that talking about artistic merit is missing the point of a good many video games.

I am quoting this to agree with it.
    naney said:

that just isn't true I spent the whole of yesterday listening to Yes and REM and Enya

plus you hate any form of music that isn't Kvlt underground avant-garde doom death screamo grindcore trap mixtapes, Yes, REM, or Enya
  • Chic? Pat Metheny? John Coltrane? Eric dolphy? bjork?
  • Surely Enya falls under the umbrella of Kvlt underground avant-garde doom death screamo grindcore trap mixtape?
  • Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, 10,000 Maniacs, Deftones, Serge Gainsbourg
  • edited 2015-07-03 17:38:43
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    plus you hate any form of music that isn't Kvlt underground avant-garde doom death screamo grindcore trap mixtapes, Yes, REM, Chic, Pat Metheny, John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Bjork, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, 10,000 Maniacs, Deftones or Serge Gainsbourg, whoever that is.
    naney said:

Chic? Pat Metheny? John Coltrane? Eric dolphy? bjork?

naney said:

Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, 10,000 Maniacs, Deftones, Serge Gainsbourg

Those are fake names
  • Serge Gainsbourg (born Lucien Ginsburg;[1] French pronunciation: ​[sɛʁʒ ɡɛ̃sbuʁ]; 2 April 1928 – 2 March 1991)[2] was a French singer, songwriter, pianist, film composer, poet, painter, screenwriter, writer, actor and director.[3] Regarded as one of the most important figures in French popular music, he was renowned for his often provocative and scandalous releases,[4][5] as well as his diverse artistic output, which embodied genres ranging from jazz, mambo, world, chanson, pop and yé-yé, to rock and roll, progressive rock, reggae, electronic, disco, new wave and funk. Gainsbourg's varied musical style and individuality make him difficult to categorize although his legacy has been firmly established and he is often regarded as one of the world's most influential popular musicians.[6]

also he was very hot