The Steelers suck and American Football is a dumb sport

Comments

• Well I agree with the first part of your sentence!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I remember reading that people in Pittsburgh consider the Steelers a big conversation topic in June
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

I remember reading that people in Pittsburgh consider the Steelers a big conversation topic AT ALL TIMES

FTFY
    honestly I dislike the Steelers mostly because Ben Roethlisberger is probably a rapist :n
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Yeah, the Steelers are like demigods around here. It's fucking bizarre.

I like to shock people by saying I don't care about football, it makes me feel superior.
    they have a nice logo and nice uniforms though
  • my grandfather was the biggest Eagles stan of all time so there are no Steelers fans within like a 20 mile radius of my home
    Anonus said:

honestly I dislike the Steelers mostly because Ben Roethlisberger is probably a rapist :n

People in Western PA are ugly, mean, and stupid, so they like having a quarterback who reflects that.
    not all of them are ugly

not all of them are ugly

Maybe not on the outside
    point
  • Odradek: FIRSTLY this conflicts with my indoctrination! Secondly: even if you leave pittsburgh, there is a high chance of meeting someone else from the tristate who also finds it entirely necessary to talk about them at all times. My dad never even WATCHED THE GAMES when i was little and still managed to instill loyalty.
    oh god, not you too

Yeah, the Steelers are like demigods around here. It's fucking bizarre.

I like to shock people by saying I don't care about football, it makes me feel superior.

it is kind of weird to me how much people like the Steelers in Pittsburgh

people in Denver realize that there is more to life than the Broncos, though when KUSA's news (Colorado's News Leader!) talks about them they talk about them like they're the White House
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Well, Denver has legal weed
    Calica said:

Well, Denver has legal weed

And the Rocky Mountains

(though Pittsburgh is close to the Appalachians, but not like Denver is to the Rockies)
  • oh god, not you too

i am afraid so.
    no

...nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Agreed. The Seahawks deserved XL, if only because then I wouldn't have been bullied for not caring about the game.
  • no

...nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I only mention it when prompted, though. Like if someone asks what team i support etc. And I usually mention it's due to familial indoctrination rather than actually following the team. 
    well, I guess that's minimal sin, at least.
  • Haha, i appreciate the downgrade of my sins against humanity. But really, both my grandfathers worked at the steel mills so like... there are worse reasons to support a team I guess?
    Do the Steelers really have any connection to the steel mills besides the name? But whatever.

There are worse crimes against humanity, like listening to Nickelback.

Do the Steelers really have any connection to the steel mills besides the name? But whatever.

No sports teams have any relation to the city they nominally represent, because they're all made up of wandering mercenaries
  • edited 2015-07-02 03:02:13
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I hate sports but I will theoretically support my home team against any other national teams.

I will also not support teams that I have no tie to, like the Spurs or whatever, why would I even do that.
    Corvidium said:

Agreed. The Seahawks deserved XL, if only because then I wouldn't have been bullied for not caring about the game.

them murdering the Broncos in XLVIII was of no solace was it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    MachSpeed said:

I hate sports but I will theoretically support my home team against any other national teams.

This is more or less how I feel too

Like I was all "yay" when my university's football team became the national champions but I wouldn't have been upset if they'd lost

MachSpeed said:

Like I was all "yay" when my university's football team became the national champions but I wouldn't have been upset if they'd lost
    Odradek said:

No sports teams have any relation to the city they nominally represent, because they're all made up of wandering mercenaries
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Odradek said:

MachSpeed said:

Odradek said:

With a college team, the players are at least nominally my fellow students, so...
    grumble grumble you get to go to a real college

also sometimes I get a smidge resentful that nobody seems to like Denver or Detroit teams much if they are forced to pick sides and one is one of them :n
    Oops I almost made this about my Denver inferiority complex again
  • edited 2015-07-02 03:35:24
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus said:

Oops I almost made this about my Denver inferiority complex again

you invented chipotle and have legal weed.  p good imho
    Also you have a really cool airport and some beautiful mountains
    My mom said that out of the places she's lived, Denver was one of the nicest
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-07-02 03:51:22

Anonus said:

it is kind of weird to me how much people like the Steelers in Pittsburgh

people in Denver realize that there is more to life than the Broncos, though when KUSA's news (Colorado's News Leader!) talks about them they talk about them like they're the White House
    I think the Packer fanbase in Wisconsin is pretty similar. I remember one of my grade school teachers having a Packer wall in her classroom and I think we actually had "Packer Day" from time to time there. My experience has also been that Packer fans like to talk about their team to most anybody who seems like they might be a fellow fan.  A while back, a random person at a grocery store in Milwaukee chatted me up about the Packers' draft that year, presumably because I was wearing something Packer related. Even here in Minnesota, which is rival territory, I guess, I get compliments for wearing Packer stuff. While Minnesota is close to Wisconsin, so it is not uncommon to see Wisconsin transplants, I have seen Packer fans all over. It seems like they are just as widespread as Steeler fans.

Despite those similarities between the teams and their fans, the Steelers are actually one of my least favorite NFL teams (no offense to Steeler fans) and I was glad to see the Packers beat them in Super Bowl XLV. That was a great playoff run, especially since the Pack were also able to eliminate the Bears on their way to that Super Bowl win.
    Green Bay has the Packers logo and "Titletown, U.S.A." in their city seal

Via osmosis I got kind of bummed when the Seahawks came back to win the NFC title game last season (for obvious reasons) until the other side shook out and their opponent became known
  • YALL ARE FUCKING NERRRRRDS
    There's basically no room in Columbus for a pro football team because everyone here are fanatics about college football
  • does Ohio have an NFL team?

honestly we should give one of our teams to you guys if you don't, it's weird that we have two.

then the two PA teams could merge to become the Steel Eagles and have the best name in the NFL.

does Ohio have an NFL team?

honestly we should give one of our teams to you guys if you don't, it's weird that we have two.

then the two PA teams could merge to become the Steel Eagles and have the best name in the NFL.
    The Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bengals

Also there was a time during World War II when the Eagles and Steelers merged to become the "Steagles"
    (it was made feasible because this was in the days before the NFL merged with the AFL or the AFL even existed)
    We've got the Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bengals, so I think we're good on numbers
    also Jane how is Pennsylvania having two NFL teams any weirder than Missouri having two
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I'm currently in Los Angeles which has two NBA teams, two MLB teams, and zero NFL teams because of weird pro sports politics.

But I grew up in the Triangle, my dad went to UNC, and I went to UNC, so that's pretty much where all my fandom lies
    Alaska has none
  • About the only reason I give half a damn about the Steelers is because Polamalu was from my area, and if you ever meet someone who can find it on a map and didn't already live there, he's probably the reason.
    Calica said:

I'm currently in Los Angeles which has two NBA teams, two MLB teams, and zero NFL teams because of weird pro sports politics.

Stan Kroenke is trying to move the Rams there, the Raiders and Chargers have a proposal to build a stadium going, the Dayton Triangles want to move to LA...
    Also, semi-relevant odd confession:

I associate Super Bowl XL less with anyone who played in it and more with how it was ABC's last Super Bowl (and last NFL game period until one of next year's wild card playoff games, simulcast with ESPN) and I didn't record it.