Only 2000s kids remember

Comments

• Are you a 2000s kid?
  • Yes

I thought I'd subject the forum to a little blast from the past...even if it is deliberately "ugghh" stuff
  • I recognize none of this.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    must be true, because I recognize none of this crap
  • Sad part is that I actually do.

For Love or Money and The Swan were dreck.
  • i recognize none of this except i knew that wife swap at leat existed
  • Nanny 911, which was Fox's hastily-produced knockoff of...

• Fox had a lot of hastily-produced knockoffs of other networks' reality shows

Also, what I remember most about Nanny 911 is that it was produced by Rocket Science Laboratories, who had a really cool logo
  • I remember watching at least one episode of wife swap

It's a nice idea, in that using parodies to mock it mercilessly sounds like an entertaining summer evening
  • I know none of those shows.

Probably because I grew up in Britain and watched completely different stuff.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well i remember Super Nanny

and Wife Swap, vaguely, but it probably had a different logo over here.  or maybe it didn't, i don't remember.
    is British TV just as stupid as American TV?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Is it as dumb as British pop music?
  • I watched some awesome shit as a child. It was pure cheese, but it was bloody brilliant.

And only recent pop music is shit.

At least we didn't produce Miley Cyrus or any other tween pop artist.
    Tools said:

I watched some awesome shit as a child. It was pure cheese, but it was bloody brilliant.

And only recent pop music is shit.

At least we didn't produce Miley Cyrus or any other tween pop artist.

Counterpoint:
    enough

I surrender
  • Don't diss Crazy Frog.
    lol Crazy Frog was the most irritating thing ever back then, sorry Tools

i was going to get defensive on behalf of our pop music but Odradek has convinced me it's actually crap

and no our TV isn't any better
    in fairness, nobody ever thought the Cheeky Girls were actually good, and Jedward and other reality show products are basically reviled by everyone who doesn't watch said shows
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    naney said:

I recognize none of this.

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I recognize some of it, unfortunately.

It took me until about 2012 to really get out of the habit of watching too much TV.
  • Tachyon said:

i was going to get defensive on behalf of our pop music but Odradek has convinced me it's actually crap

Blur is good.
    i do like Blur, and relatedly, Gorillaz

i think people who recognize nothing on this page either have superior tastes to the rest of us, or maybe have parents with superior tastes (Super Nanny and Wife Swap were both shows my mum liked).
  • my parents just didn't watch TV much (unless it was my stepdad watching G4)
  • edited 2015-06-29 19:37:18
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    To a degree, sure, though I dislike the "superior tastes to the rest of us" part (if the parents part less). Personally, I recognize a good number of these, if only because my mother has always watched or listened to a lot of TV. So I watched or heard a lot of this, but that's different from enjoying or considering them goodSince it's not like tastes always line up with what you watch, let alone with what you enjoy or consider to be of actual quality.
    my dad only puts the TV on for sport, and sometimes music programmes like Jools Holland

my mum watches a mixture of drama and reality TV . . . i think she prefers the drama, the reality TV is just a question of whatever's on.  She's watched less reality stuff since she got into iPlayer.
    Crystal said:

To a degree, sure, though I dislike the "superior tastes to the rest of us" part (if the parents part less). Personally, I recognize a good number of these, if only because my mother has always watched or listened to a lot of TV. So I watched or heard a lot of this, but that's different from enjoying or considering them goodSince it's not like tastes always line up with what you watch, let alone with what you enjoy or consider to be of actual quality.

True, sorry.

What i meant was most of this stuff was probably not very good, and people who don't recognize it weren't watching TV or listening to music that wasn't very good.
    Tachyon said:

I'm sure there's good stuff, it's just the lows seem lower.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I see what you mean. Yeah, I'd agree. In any case, I do not miss any of this whatsoever, even if I still listen to a lot of trash.
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

I'm sure there's good stuff, it's just the lows seem lower.
    might be budgetary?

i think the production quality of American media tends to be slicker and shinier
    Well at least you guys have reality shows to explain things. There is no explaining why Mike Posner was a thing.
  • edited 2015-06-29 20:39:48
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The Pet Shop Boys are pretty good British pop, too.
    The Pet Shop Boys are great! I'm sure there's a lot of great British pop.
    Yes, agreed on that.

At the risk of sounding slightly pretentious, i think what Crazy Frog, Cheeky Girls, Jedward and to a lesser extent Cher Lloyd have in common is that they all charted on the strength of "ironic" so-bad-it's-good kitsch appeal, which might not exert so much influence on the US charts?

Then again, #Selfie made it to number 16 in the US so perhaps not.
  • Cher has had several US hits.

I actually unironically like "Believe".
  • edited 2015-06-29 20:52:27
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

Yes, agreed on that.

At the risk of sounding slightly pretentious, i think what Crazy Frog, Cheeky Girls, Jedward and to a lesser extent Cher Lloyd have in common is that they all charted on the strength of "ironic" so-bad-it's-good kitsch appeal, which might not exert so much influence on the US charts?

That's because the chart rules were changed in the past year or two to account for the increasing popularity of viral videos. This is why that terrible fox song was in the Top 10 of the U.S. charts for several weeks a while back, for example.
  • I really hope T-Wayne's "Nasty" charts.
    Tachyon said:

Yes, agreed on that.

That's because the chart rules were changed in the past year or two to account for the increasing popularity of viral videos. This is why that terrible fox song was in the Top 10 of the U.S. charts for several weeks a while back, for example.

the real Cher, the proper Cher, Cher-without-qualifiers, is perfectly all right and had some good songs

the line break sabotaged me i think
  • Cher

Cher Beleren

Cher, Memory Adept

Cher, the Mind Sculptor

Cher, Architect of Thought

Cher, Telepath Unbound

Cher, the Living Guildpact
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember The Swan, but more for the controversy it provoked than anything else. Same with shit like Married by America. 

The "DARKSIDED"/"SHE'S NOT A CHRISTIAN" meme came from one of the mum-swapping shows, but I forget which.