People bitching about strip malls

edited 2015-06-20 11:40:56 in General
I never really found them as noxious as people think they are

Comments

• i thought this was mostly a thing that happened in the 80s

like doing cocaine and complaining about the death of disco and fusing with your romantic interest to spite her boyfriend
  • People always complain about how boring suburbia is

Also I like Denver but sometimes I wish I lived in New York or LA so I could project their importance onto myself

The coastal elites think Denver is basically Wichita on Mars with mountains because *gasp* we have ALTITUDE and nice dry air
  • Tilly

I'm not gonna lie to ya

99% of your quirks are just that and they're fine

but your complex about Denver is very strange and kinda concerns me.
  • it's just that strip malls are sort of a glaring symbol of suburbia's lateral sprawl
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    They should stop taking their clothes off, though.
  • How is it strange? We're not important to the big people.

We're not a common setting for anything. Rarely are songs written about us. Our pro sports teams, the Broncos aside, do not tend to draw widespread interest. But on the other hand our most famous culinary invention is the fucking cheeseburger.
  • How is it strange? We're not important to the big people.

We're not a common setting for anything. Rarely are songs written about us. Our pro sports teams, the Broncos aside, do not tend to draw widespread interest. But on the other hand our most famous culinary invention is the fucking cheeseburger.

it just seems to me like you take it extremely personally and i dunno

i kind of don't get that i guess.

Sorry.
  • I get openly envious of things others have if I perceive them to somehow be better

New York and Los Angeles: the culture, the power, the flashy glamour, the $$$
  • I dunno, I think most of the benefits of living in a city are material.

You've got like buslines and stuff. We don't have that where I live. Gotta walk or drive if you wanna get anywhere.
  • I don't live in the city proper, I live in a housing development by DIA

More inverse privilege: having to be subjected to the Illuminati shit
  • do they want your mind, soul, and/or body?
  • No
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    strip malls are ok and if Denver invented the cheeseburger then that's +100 Imipoints right there

I find gmh's comment about "lateral sprawl" interesting, though
  • Lateral Sprawl is my new indie band we make songs about how being white, suburban, and middle class is the worst thing of all time.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

I love this song musically but could never understand its subject
  • Disco isn't dead: they call them "clubs" now.

Dancing, inebriation, loud music and sex aren't going away anytime soon.
  • Acererak said:

Disco isn't dead: they call them "clubs" now.

Dancing, inebriation, loud music and sex aren't going away anytime soon.
    you're confusing Disco with discos.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    A lot of the music played at clubs is either directly descended from disco music, or directly descended from one of disco's sibling genres.

Denver has David Eugene Edwards and Five Iron Frenzy, which automatically gives it a leg up over NYC or LA.
  • also Earth, Wind and Fire
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:03:00
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Yeah, strip malls are bad. They're just one of several examples of suburbs being really bad.

They're about as walkable as regular malls, but they're not a single, enclosed space, so they don't offer the same social space as a mall does. Most malls are also at least two floors, meaning they're twice as space-efficient as strip malls, too (depends on parking as well, of course; you could always have a parking garage to ensure this benefit is retained.)

They take up more space, which necessitates more driving for citizens and more decision-making while driving, which worsens traffic and increases air pollution. Taking up more space means there's less space for, well, nature. Things being more spread out means public transportation becomes a greater challenge, which forces more people to dive. etc. etc. cities are a better idea, they just require more planning.

People complain about one-way streets in cities but every strip-mall-dense area I've been to in suburbia is pretty bad to navigate as well.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    idk about strip malls but everyone seems to think city centres are so great

living in grey boxes surrounded by sky high grey

noise all the time and no privacy
    that was childish but whatever
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:05:56

i dont get the no privacy complaint at all

an it's not that noisy either

and the architecture is nicer, and the sky isnt a different color so?
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    I feel rural areas are valid, partially because having a little extra space means people can grow their own food. It's certainly more sustainable than suburbs.

Suburbs don't lose much of the isolation that rural areas have. I'm a bit of a shut-in but there's maybe one person that any of the people in this house talk to that's within walking distance of us.

Also, every fucking summer weekend. Someone is mowing the lawn all day.
  • like people trot out those exact complaints all the time and they are so utterly, completely contrary to my entire lived experience that im like ??????????
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:11:36
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the architecture isn't nicer imo

maybe the privacy and noise thing is bull, i never actually lived in a city

but there's NO SPACE

no green, no rolling hills, no woods

just towering structures on all sides like you're trapped in a cage wherever you go

also bland little parks with grass dying from all the feet trampling it

and everyone goes on about how great they are all the time

the big city how romantic wow
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:13:05
    I'll tell you now that there are no woods or hills in the suburbs I know.

Well, I guess some of the less-maintained "backroads" are constant rolling hills. But that's a driving hazard with suburban houses on either side, not like, a pasture or something.
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:13:17
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    naney said:

like people trot out those exact complaints all the time and they are so utterly, completely contrary to my entire lived experience that im like ??????????

wait people do?

in that case i'm doing the exact thing i'm upset about

ugh

sorry
    Sex Grips said:

I'll tell you now that there are no woods or hills in the suburbs I know.

Well, I guess some of the less-maintained "backroads" are constant rolling hills. But that's a driving hazard with suburban houses on either side, not like, a pasture or something.

And i guess idk what i'm talking about anyway.

i was thinking, suburbs mean you're just a short drive away from the countryside, maybe it's even in walking distance

but i've never lived in a truly BIG city with proper (sub)urban sprawl
  • and those are all places that i could get to in abouuuuuut 10 minutes tops
  • my sister is actually out w/ her boyfriend at the conservatory (2nd pic) right now

i think they are having a picnic?
    sure, those are pretty to look at

but i feel like i'd get claustrophobic, to say nothing of incredibly bored, if those were the closest i had to real countryside nearby
  • i guess you could leave town but then you have wheat and soybeans
    i mean really don't those pictures kind of prove my point?

look at those first two, cluttered little mini-worlds completely boxed in by towering red walls
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:20:07
    Getting out to the countryside isn't a bad idea, but you'd need a motor vehicle unless you lived right in it.

EDIT: Someone is now mowing the lawn.
  • they are not towering red walls, they are cute cafes and libraries and the farmers market!
  • i dont think ive ever seen something that you could call "countryside"

you leave the city and it is farms and farms and farms and farms
    but where's the horizon?

they are blocking it
    i'm being kind of harsh i guess

i was not aware that the kind of post i'm making was something 'people' said

in my experience all people ever say about the countryside is it's boring and there's nothing to do and cities are so much better etc. etc.

so i thought i was making a case for the defense and now i'm sounding like the prosecutor
  • edited 2015-06-20 21:28:13
    Well, it's not like you can't find hardship in a city. They're significantly more expensive to live in and poorly managed ones can botch reaping any of the benefits urbanization offers (there are cities with bad public transport, which means they're basically endlessly gridlocked, for an easy example.) But like...if you're looking for a social life or things to do that aren't necessarily connected to nature, you're endlessly more likely to find it in a city than anywhere else.
  • I don't mind strip malls but I've found that as I've gotten older I've started to resent my suburban lifestyle because of how limiting it is for me.

My neighborhood is almost its own world blocked off from Raleigh as a whole, which is a nightmare for those of us who like going out and whatnot but aren't keen on driving. One of the reasons I'm so excited to go to college is that UK's campus makes biking/walking around to get from place to place a breeze by comparison.

(I'm definitely going to be a city mouse for the foreseeable future.)
    i get miserable because there are never any jobs going around here

i'm sorry, i'm being an ass

like actually, really badly

naney probably left the thread because i was being so tiresome

and i hijacked Miss Utilis' thread
  • Also, one cool thing about Lexington:

Same area.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    I have some misgivings about moving into a city. I won't really be able to own a vehicle which means I'll have to give up on dreams of, say, owning a dirtbike and screwing around off-road. And yes, getting out to nature is harder because public transit ends outside of the city. If you have the cash to book a vacation or something, of course, you could still make it out to do things elsewhere. (I also could be misrepresenting the opportunities to Get Outdoors; they may depend on your area.)
  • i like the city because people dont judge you there

i never felt safe elsewhere