What photo editor(s) do you use?

TreTre
edited 2015-06-05 21:55:54 in General
A snowclone, yes, but one posing a legit question.

I started off with Kid Pix and Paint, then used Picnik for a long time before eventually graduating to more advanced stuff (Photoshop, Pixelmator, GIMP).

Most of my work is done with Photoshop CS6 or CC 2014 these days, though I just reinstalled Pixelmator so it may see occasional use here and there.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I use GIMP extensively because I could never be arsed to pirate Photoshop, and I'm certainly not paying for it.
  • I use GIMP extensively because I could never be arsed to pirate Photoshop, and I'm certainly not paying for it.

Replace "extensively" with "occasionally" since I don't do much [s]photo[/s] picture editing and that's my position.

Well I also use Paint.  It's quicker for certain jobs.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I find MS Paint is of very limited use since you can't do things like, say, changing the JPEG quality. It's only really useful for simple things like saving screenshots.

Paint.NET is useful for quick things like cropping photos and such, though.
  • I remember trying Paint.NET once and being turned off from it because of its similarities in behavior to MS Paint. Haven't looked at it since.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    GIMP for anything and everything.
  • edited 2015-06-05 23:02:49
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Photoshop CC, code revision 20140508.r.58 x64
  • edited 2015-06-05 23:18:16

I find MS Paint is of very limited use since you can't do things like, say, changing the JPEG quality. It's only really useful for simple things like saving screenshots.

Paint.NET is useful for quick things like cropping photos and such, though.

Saving screenshots, and quick crop jobs.

For simple jobs like those, Paint has the HUGE advantage of starting up FAR, FAR FASTER than GIMP.  Almost instantly, as opposed to having to wait like a whole minute.
  • that's why I like lightweight programs that do limited functions by just do them really efficiently
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    paint.net
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    occasionally imagemagick if i'm doing really simple things on the command line
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

I use GIMP extensively because I could never be arsed to pirate Photoshop, and I'm certainly not paying for it.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    got used to GIMP when making Black Candles and have no great reason to switch to anything else
  • Paint.NET

which is not a website despite the name
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I use GIMP and IrfanView here because I'm old-school
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I used GIMP for a pretty long time. I pirated Photochop a while back, though, and I have to say I find it to be much better and more streamlined.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ms paint :p

for some reason GIMP didn't work for me, never figured why but i don't care, paint.net is fine for if i need something slightly more sophisticated than ms paint
    Photoshop is nice and all, but the old saying about killing a fly with a sledgehammer comes to mind for most of the things I do.
  • Tachyon said:

ms paint :p

for some reason GIMP didn't work for me, never figured why but i don't care, paint.net is fine for if i need something slightly more sophisticated than ms paint

GIMP requires a software library called GTK; maybe you didn't install that?
    The Windows GIMP installers usually come with everything you need, though.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yeah, I downloaded GIMP and got it working in minutes, no problems.

incidentally, FWIW, Photoshop is better overall. But, unless you're a FILTHY PIRATE, you have to pay for Photoshop.