Crackers Posts IRC Chatlogs

I don't want to clutter up my personal thread, so here's some logs.
<BlasterKyubey210> Yea, like I don't wnat players to dethrone the entire bleakness from the setting
<BlasterKyubey210> I don't want them to change Governments
<Dan> Guess I should log off for the night. ttyl, folks!
<BlasterKyubey210> Basically, at best a family or a small street AT Best
* Dan has quit (Disintegrated: ~ Trillian Astra - www.trillian.im ~)
<Jesse> Check out a game called Circle of Hands.
<BlasterKyubey210> and not let some evil Paladin overthrow the whole city
<BlasterKyubey210> Else bleakness dies
<egyptian> Blaster, that is the most black trenchcoat and hair over one eye thing you have ever said in here.
<BlasterKyubey210> Eh, be fair
<BlasterKyubey210> I kinda feel angry that I don't want players to well
<BlasterKyubey210> Ruin this ideal world
<BlasterKyubey210> Why have bleakness in a setting if the players want to ruin it at the worse
<Jesse> Maybe I'm not understanding:  Do you want the PCs to actively partake in the bleakness?  Or just when they stand against it to only be able to push it back feetingly?
<BlasterKyubey210> Either the PCs to be actively partaking in the bleakness
<BlasterKyubey210> or if they oppose it, only push say 1 nanometer at best
<Jesse> Interesting.
<BlasterKyubey210> Basically, at the worse, I feel out of place because I dont' want players to change teh world too much
<BlasterKyubey210> Like if they save a family, great, but no overthrowing the Lords or something stupid like that
<Silverlion> I.e not actually be player characters.
<Lin_Chong> You need to be up front with this with your players.
<willows> so like
<BlasterKyubey210> No, I still want them to be PCs, just in this limited scope
<willows> what are the players supposed to DO
<Monochrome_Tide> Well, I'm not sure if that's entirely fair. I think part of the issue is simply that you need to make sure what your players' scale is and that it matches yours
<Lin_Chong> Like, it's totally okay if you want a certain thing.
<Silverlion> He needs to find players that want to do what he wants, or try something else.
<willows> like are they just ground under the boot of bleakness forever
<Lin_Chong> But at the same time the players will probably also want something else.
<Jesse> Circle of Hands will deliver on the "you can only affect local change" thing.  It won't do the, the PCs are part of the problem very well.
<Lin_Chong> And if you tell them, you'll find out if they're okay with this direction.
<BlasterKyubey210> Willows, at the BEST case of this idea of bleakness, I want the PCs to be part of the problem
<BlasterKyubey210> or rather, trying again, the best case is they embrace this bleakness as an ally
<BlasterKyubey210> Rather then fighting it and only pushing it a nanometer
<willows> well i suppose you could play 'baltimore cops: the rpg'
<Lin_Chong> I can see the appeal in a tone like that.
<willows> but that’s gonna be a hard sell
<Monochrome_Tide> Blaster, the other thing is that while you're describing a set of tropes that are similar to noir - good people struggling against an unjust world and making small changes - that is A: something you need to make very specifically clear at the game's start, and B: something you need to make appealing, not despairing
<Lin_Chong> Very.
<Jesse> Well there's always Sorcerer where the only magic is dealing with demons.
<Monochrome_Tide> noir is all about (on the surface) the defiance of good men against an evil world
<BlasterKyubey210> I tend to go deeper and the cut gets out of control
<Monochrome_Tide> but it isn't about their impotence
<BlasterKyubey210> Like I make this small cut against this idea and I go too deep, if that makes sense
<BlasterKyubey210> Like that's where my anger comes from
<Jesse> Can you think of a book or film that delivers on what you're talking about story-wise?
<BlasterKyubey210> 1984, Big Brother is eternal
<Jesse> Right but the protagonist stands against that.
<BlasterKyubey210> Though he ends up embracing Big Brother in the end
<Monochrome_Tide> You know, the sort of dystopian fantasies you want are typically explicitly out to get the audience angry or horrified by the situation portrayed
<Monochrome_Tide> like, 1984 is not saying Big Brother is cool and awesome and triumphant
<Monochrome_Tide> it's saying that this is awful 
<BlasterKyubey210> I suppose my anger is often unsure at where it's going
<Jesse> What do you mean by "my anger"?  Your anger at what?  You players?  Life?
<BlasterKyubey210> In general at this point
<BlasterKyubey210> I'm angry at say the idea of Black and White morality
<Lin_Chong> I don't really have much use for it either.
<BlasterKyubey210> I want to crush it and corrupt it
<BlasterKyubey210> Turn it into Black and Black morality, even if it's dragging players, kicking and screaming, into that threshold