Do You Hide Your Power Level in Public?

LWLW
edited 2015-06-02 01:47:18 in General
For those of you with what are often seen as stereotypically "geeky" interests (e.g., anime, comics, western animation, sci-fi/fantasy, tabletop games, video games), do you tend to talk about those interests in public? If those topics come up in conversation for some reason, do you mention your interest in them? Are there some contexts where you feel more comfortable talking about stuff like that than in others?

Personally, I tend to avoid bringing stuff like that up, partly because I do not want to be thought of as "the weird anime nerd" when I am already pretty obviously awkward and partly because I think it can be sort of difficult talking about that stuff when other people around you do not seem all that interested in it.

Granted, there are probably some downsides to that approach. Given that anime and games are kind of my two biggest hobbies, I probably seem like an even more boring person than I actually am since I do not have a whole lot to say about what I do in my free time. It also can be a little difficult to respond when people ask about favorite movies and TV shows since it is pretty rare for me to watch live action stuff. I am definitely envious of people with more "normal" hobbies who feel confident enough about them to discuss them freely.

What about you? Do you hide your power level in public?

Comments

• who under the age of 30 doesnt watch anime in 2015
  • naney said:

who under the age of 30 doesnt watch anime in 2015

most...people

statistically
  • also most people are lame as fuck and need to get on my level statistically speaking

this is not a coincidence
  • oh to answer the OP: i dont worry because i'm always cool + cute as fuck and talking about anime and various other nerd shit will never change that
  • I never leave the house except to buy food so I have no answer to this question.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I plan to kill myself before it becomes an issue
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I couldn't easily talk about my autistic gaming-related interests, because they are increasingly obscure. I couldn't easily talk about the cool things I've done in games because first I'd have to explain what it means or why it matters. Even among people who like the sort of games I like, I only talk about my past achievements or my obscure knowledge when they're relevant. Usually I'm humble but sometimes I will go all miss pedant on an arrogant scrub, because they poison the community with their crap. I try to blend in, wherever I am, and I feel like I don't usually succeed, partly because I have autism and I'm both very silly and very sensitive. So, for example, I wouldn't talk about my obscure shit unless someone asked about it specifically, or started talking about something relevant to it. I have at least an order of magnitude more to say about said obscure shit than about, say, the weather, but once again, autism. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here. I guess I'll always be a weirdo.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I like to give the impression that I have uber-obscure interests, even if it's not really true
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    None in real life could grasp the awesomeness of Based Cadpig of the 8-Track Tapes
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    except Centie
  • One time I was in McDonalds and hit up a conversation with two 30-year-olds about D&D 3.5.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    if one of my interests is relevant to a conversation, or seems relevant, my first impulse is to talk about it, and i often do

in my experience people don't usually mind geek/fandom things, at least

although more generally, i'm not very good at judging whether a given topic will be received warmly, even around people i know well
  • kill living beings
    last night i was at a social function and we did one of those stupid "say your name, bla bla, and an interest" things. some girl said anime and at least a dozen people were like "yeaaaaaah!"

so basically what inane said

i do generally avoid talking about shintaro kago or hr giger or whoever. one time in high school i brought my hr giger artbook which was a bad idea
  • one time in high school i brought my hr giger artbook which was a bad idea

Bahahahaha, oh my God. I can just imagine.