Acererak's AngelFire/GeoCities Nostalgia Thread

edited 2015-05-27 06:47:14 in General Media

Do you miss the days when your Internet connection was slow, fragile and could be interrupted by a phone call? Do you miss it when the only reliable way to get around fandom sites were through links to other sites? Do you miss the days when any man (and sometimes a woman if you went on those New Age sites), from the sweatiest Godzilla fanboy to the most drug-addled conspiracy theorist, could own his own piece of the Internet? When Yahoo was ruler of the roost, Something Awful was in its infancy, and Tumblr was just a weird typo? 

Long for that glorious, badly-formatted past no more! In this thread, we take a look at some AngelFire/GeoCities sites that I managed to dig up somehow. 

Don't misunderstand me: this isn't a shitting thread. I'm not here to deride these sites. They were a valuable part of my first days on the Internet. Think of this as a celebration of a culture that soon grew into something much, much larger and forgot its roots. (Maybe for the better, sometimes.)

(Disclaimer: Yahoo is actually fucking horrible and I hate it.)

Comments

• Here's an example of a typical GeoCities fan page. Note how excited he is over a couple of images. Images were a big deal back in the day!
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I approve of this thread.
  • And here's a typical AngelFire page. Note that gifs were seen as new and exciting back then, kind of like CGI in 90s-2000s cinema. Nowadays we just use the things for witty screencaps of our favorite movies and shows.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Is it true that every teenager on the Internet had a webshrine dedicated to Hot Cartoon Mice
  • Anonus said:

Is it true that every teenager on the Internet had a webshrine dedicated to Hot Cartoon Mice

Now that's not true!

Sometimes it was dedicated to dragons, or weird New Age woo. Which I'll get to soon.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    this should be a good thread, at least until we get linked to a site with an annoying automatically-playing midi
  • Here's a typical conspiracy theorist site. WARNING: terrible formatting.

Note the EXTENSIVE USE OF ALL-CAPS and the proliferation of unsourced claims. Set an example for later conspiracy theorist sites.
  • Here's a typical fan-fiction page. Note that the authors include their e-mails: this was back when e-mail was used more extensively, as it was at the time the most efficient way to communicate over the Internet.

Also, more of them were about 80s sit-com shows and monster movies. 
  • On second thought, the Terrible Formatting warning should be used for every site linked here.
  • Here's an infamous fan-fiction: the "Day of the Barney", a classic example of a dark-fic. In those days, "dark fic" meant something slightly different: rather than a darker version of canon events, they took entire series and made them 3edgy5me. This one's so old that it goes back to Usenet, which makes it older than anything posted here as of now.
  • (NSFW) Here's a page on mythology. Pages on mythology were my second favorite sites, behind fandom ones: if it weren't for pages like this, I wouldn't have developed a lot of interests that I still have.

Also, kudos to Imipolex for predicting the annoying midi file. Midi files were always seen as obnoxious, although part of their "wow" factor was that (like gifs) they were new technology back then.
  • edited 2015-05-27 04:39:28
    Pokemon! Note the young age of Pokemon fans (site-owner's 13): at that time, the United States (which had the largest percentage of Internet users) was only starting to import media from Japan, and anime was seen as new, strange and exotic. The Pokemon phenomenon was really something to behold, back then. The almost-as-popular and similarly named Digimon was also contemporaneous with its rise, and due to everything I mentioned above, this led to the start of the Pokemon vs Digimon fandom wars.

This didn't do them any favors with the older population of Internet users, and Pokemon fans...weren't well-regarded in many circles.
  • (NSFW) Here's a typical New Age site. These things were really big, back in the day when there were more people who took this seriously.
    >Cadpig.com is black today in memory of Joseph Hanna who died last week. He was a cartoon visionary. Without such ideas as a animated cartoon series and sending artwork to be done over seas our beloved 101 Dalmatians might never have been created. Joseph Hanna will be missed
    -John V
    3/26/01
  • Anonus said:

>Cadpig.com is black today in memory of Joseph Hanna who died last week. He was a cartoon visionary. Without such ideas as a animated cartoon series and sending artwork to be done over seas our beloved 101 Dalmatians might never have been created. Joseph Hanna will be missed
    -John V
    3/26/01

People used their real names on the Internet a lot more often, back then, too. 
    well that and calling Bill Hanna by the wrong name and suggesting the offshoring of animation work was creatively beneficial (it may have been in some cases, but not in the Dark Times)
  • Acererak said:

Here's a typical conspiracy theorist site. WARNING: terrible formatting.

Note the EXTENSIVE USE OF ALL-CAPS and the proliferation of unsourced claims. Set an example for later conspiracy theorist sites.

incredible
  • Acererak said:

Here's a typical conspiracy theorist site. WARNING: terrible formatting.

incredible
    the broken image really seals the deal
  • rivendell.fortunecity.com/mage/458/music.html

still the best website on the internet.

even though it doesn't exist anymore.

it contained Mega Man series music tracks, in MIDI format.  They could be downloaded individually.  One of them autoplayed on the page; that was Gravity Beetle's theme from X3.

At the time, SPCs did not exist, and I couldn't otherwise listen to that beautiful music from Mega Man X3.  Then I discovered that page.  And I cherished that MIDI of Toxic Seahorse's theme so much.

It even led me to a MIDI rendition of the Rockman X4 intro theme (Japanese version), which turned out to be a J-pop song that I quite enjoyed.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

this should be a good thread, at least until we get linked to a site with an annoying automatically-playing midi

This trend never went away, it just upgraded to MP3 and moved to MySpace, then Tumblr.
  • Also, back in the day, some weird company owned Voltron.com, so the actual Voltron official site had to be at voltronforce.com.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Also, back in the day, some weird company owned Voltron.com, so the actual Voltron official site had to be at voltronforce.com.

Ah, the good old days before big corporations realized they could use a tenuous grasp of trademark law to bully people into handing over domain names.
    World Events Productions isn't a big corporation
    What is your threshold for "big" corporations, AU?
    big enough for the average person to have heard of them, or big enough to have a massive market cap if publicly-traded
    ("massive" = anything at or near the billions)
  • that's like being the dude who argues Kendrick Lamar is underground
    I guess

I'm just used to things like DreamWorks Animation (who kinda-sorta owns Voltron now, incidentally) being described as "small" when I don't think most people would consider them such
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

that's like being the dude who argues Kendrick Lamar is underground

Well, there are people who still argue that Tom Waits is underground, so...
  • that's like being the dude who argues Kendrick Lamar is underground

Well, there are people who still argue that Tom Waits is underground, so...
    Tom Waits is relatively popular but at least there I think you could maybe make the case.

dae heard of this obscure rapper named J. Cole
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

DreamWorks Animation (who kinda-sorta owns Voltron now, incidentally) 
    wait, how/when did this happen
    In 2010, Classic Media struck an agreement with WEP to represent Voltron. This agreement is still in effect, and Voltron is shown to be one of DreamWorks Classics's properties. (DWA's website received an overhaul late last year, and this page wasn't included in said overhaul, nor is it shown anywhere else)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh, okay, I see what happened