Fox To Revive One Saturday Morning

BURBANK - The Satmorn kidvid fracas is about to heat up.

In January, the Kids' WB! cartoon block returned after a seven-year absence from the air, this time as ABC's Saturday morning lineup. Reruns of Warner Bros. classics like the beloved Looney Tunes shorts, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain took the place of shows such as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Transformers: Prime. As it had in its original incarnation, Disney's One Saturday Morning will reappear this fall to challenge Kids' WB! for ratings dominance, but in an odd twist of fate, One Saturday Morning will be airing on Fox this time, taking on the lineup on its former network ABC.

"Saturday mornings are suddenly a goldmine," said a spokesman for Disney-Fox Television Group. "The folks at ABC really have tapped into a demand that no one thought still existed. I know I'm not supposed to give them credit but still. We want our share of the pie."

For the 2015-16 season, One Saturday Morning will feature reruns of the shows that put it on the map to start with: Recess, Pepper Ann, Doug, and 101 Dalmatians: The Series. The inclusion of Dalmatians adds an extra bit of oddness to the show's temporary return to ABC this month, as not only will ABC be promoting its Hanna-Barbera cartoon series Cirque du Yogi, it will also be promoting its departed Saturday morning block.

Disney has not announced plans to include newer series, like Phineas & Ferb or Gravity Falls, on One Saturday Morning's lineup.

"They can't come at the Warner sibs and expect to win," said ABC Warner Overseer Anonus Utilis. "Lucky, Cadpig and Spot can take Yakko, Wakko and Dot," retorted his creative kindred spirit Jill Hersheimer.

Comments

• but what about all the other saturday mornings
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    You only get one a week though
  • but saturdays happen on a regular basis
    not the exact phrasing but close enough:

also I have a logo in mind for Fox's version of OSM but I can't render it well myself >_>
  • That's such a bizarre angle.

"Summer doesn't end on Saturdays" is like the weirdest piece of marketing speak I've ever heard. What does it mean? It's like PSK.
  • every saturday the snow melts and it is 90 degrees
  • edited 2015-05-10 04:18:00
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    naney said:

every saturday the snow melts and it is 90 degrees

and don't forget Pepper Ann happens

disney pls turn your weather machine back on
    oops this thread is about them doing so
  • weather or not here we come
    it occurs to me that in this universe, the only one of OSM's shows that has episodes that have been produced in high definition is 101 Dalmatians: The Series (for the 2009-2015 specials)
  • the tag was "five hours of summer once a week" and it was all about how for those hours you didn't have to worry about homework or school or any of the other fun things that go with that, those stressors of the school year.
  • edited 2015-05-10 05:29:20

the tag was "five hours of summer once a week" and it was all about how for those hours you didn't have to worry about homework or school or any of the other fun things that go with that, those stressors of the school year.

ironically most of OSM's shows were about school

Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse was probably the lone exception (not counting shows that just got reran there like The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
    (even 101 Dalmatians: The Series had Dog School in the form of the Bark Brigade)
    I do kind of wonder how New OSM would be that much different from the Disney Channel

You know Disney wouldn't want to shell out to create new host/wraparound segments (the original version of the block had ditched them in 2000 for cheap live-action/recycled animation hybrid stuff with no hosts)...
  • edited 2015-05-10 11:04:38
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

the tag was "five hours of summer once a week" and it was all about how for those hours you didn't have to worry about homework or school or any of the other fun things that go with that, those stressors of the school year.

which got a bit silly when the tagline continued to be used through the summer
  • Anonus: what I liked about it was that it meant I got to watch Disney shows even though we couldn't afford the Disney Channel. So like, that's one thing to consider. It may not be that different but the audience they wind up reaching might be.

Central: but the nonsense was THE BEST PART. I mean next to the elephant co-host.
  • edited 2015-05-10 23:49:45
    The cord-cutters/nevers, huh? (Or of course people who can't afford pay TV)
    also it's me but I'd take Pepper Ann and 101 Dalmatians: The Series over a lot of the stuff on the Disney Channel proper (and OSM was running more Disney Channel series by the time it became ABC Kids; the last show actually produced for the block was Fillmore!)
    Sometimes I wonder if they'll put any Marvel stuff on the new OSM