Visual "cleanness" that is actually frustrating

Burying things that were once immediately accessible in menus. Stupidly vague timestamps on comments/forum posts.

Why?

Comments

• To make computers more accessible to the non-computer savvy.
  • how does it make them more accessible to the non-computer-savvy?

those folks are still going to find it unintuitive and so now they've ruined it for both sides
  • Because your frame of reference for what is intuitive is shaped by the fact that you are somewhat computer savvy.

Extra information confuses people who didn't grow up using a computer. 

A lot of innovations in visual design are aimed at either the elderly or the very young, or both.
  • 1. are you seriously defending this practice?

2. do you seriously think that not putting the seconds or minutes into the timestamp or packing the edit button into an otherwise unlabeled gear makes it so much easier for someone who's not good with computers to use the forum?

if anything, the idea of a gear being an options or settings menu is something that only computer-savvy people know.
  • Explaining something is not the same as defending it.
  • edited 2015-05-05 02:08:53
    oh okay, fair enough.

i'd still argue that the intentions are not well-served by the implementations, though.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What would work best is an interface that can cascade. Simple functions for a new user could expand to more powerful, fine-grained stuff as they learn the interface. Not much stuff is designed to do that, though.
  • Burying things that were once immediately accessible in menus.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    whoa, Super FX chip
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

To make computers more accessible to the non-computer savvy.

The problem is that doing something like moving options into a menu doesn't actually make things more accessible--it just tries to hide away the complexity without actually reducing it.
  • I know that, and you know that

the people who make these decisions, they don't know that.

(or they don't care)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm just bitter from all the versions of Windows NT from XP onward that tried hiding all the Control Panel options under a series of "intuitive" menus that just makes it harder for me to explain to my parents how to fix anything. :P
  • YouTube's at it again, they changed their player again so as to make the video controls intrude EVEN FURTHER into the video area
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    CA: Windows-R, then "control"