Chuck Pahlaniuk is over

Comments

• edited 2015-05-03 23:51:41

there were multiple copies of fight club at goodwill today but they were all movie tie-in copies and i'll be damned if anyone is gonna see me owning one of those
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

there were multiple copies of fight club at goodwill today but they were all movie tie-in copies and i'll be damned if anyone is gonna see me owning one of those

The movie tie-in copy is a cancer on books.
  • naney said:

what's wrong with them? I do think they take a little of the glow off the contents but still
  • i dont want people thinking that im the sort of person who Likes Fight Club
    It's just, when you want to buy a book, you want a copy that has a good cover that's relatively timeless instead of a cover that's a tie-in to a movie that's going to be outdated in a few years.

It doesn't matter how good the movie is, putting a movie poster on a book cheapens the book.
  • I used to know a girl who collected movie tie-in books.

Her room was full of them.
  • kill living beings
    amazing comic A+
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have a movie tie-in copy of The Hobbit from when the LOTR movies came out.

Which is kinda funny, since that wasn't even one of the books being adapted at the time.
    My version of the Hobbit has gorgeous painted illustrations.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have a Barnes and Noble trade paperback of The Hobbit that I preferred to the movie tie-in edition.

I got both copies for the same Christmas and kept both because the trade paperback is nicer but the other one was part of an LOTR box set I didn't wanna break up.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have the movie tie-in copy of Inherent Vice.

The only movie tie-in book I own.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've never been sure whether I should watch Fight Club or not.

Can anyone here answer that question for me?
    It's pretty good.
  • I've never been sure whether I should watch Fight Club or not.

As I understand it Fight Club is a very good film about how the expectations of masculinity in this society prevent men from effectively connecting with others

The problem is that many people misunderstand the film as a glorification of what it seeks to condemn

That said, I have not actually seen the film
  • I remember Stephen Arnold's Outlaw News making an appearance during a news bulletin
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I once saw a movie tie-in version of I, Robot which is hilarious if you know anything about the movie's relationship to the books (almost nothing)
    I mainly resent Fight Club for having a prominent character named Tyler
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

I've never been sure whether I should watch Fight Club or not.

As I understand it Fight Club is a very good film about how the expectations of masculinity in this society prevent men from effectively connecting with others

The problem is that many people misunderstand the film as a glorification of what it seeks to condemn

That said, I have not actually seen the film
    That's what I've heard, and that does sound like something that could potentially be my kind of thing.

I'll keep it in mind for some point, then. Thanks.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Panurge said:

It's just, when you want to buy a book, you want a copy that has a good cover that's relatively timeless instead of a cover that's a tie-in to a movie that's going to be outdated in a few years.

It doesn't matter how good the movie is, putting a movie poster on a book cheapens the book.

• edited 2015-05-04 02:40:47
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

This is my Hobbit hardback cover, a 2009 birthday present.  It is the 2009 edition, NOT a first-edition printing (note the red sun, which is white in the original printing so as to have as few colors as possible).

The leftmost one is the original printing (note the white sun), or one of the other printings with the same cover.  The middle one is the cover that my mom and her siblings grew up reading.  Most of my cousins read this one.  Serious nostalgia for that one, says my aunts and uncles. The rightmost one is the cover that my brother owns and that I remember him owning when I was a child.

This printing, which is impossible to find anywhere, apparently has excellent illustrations which are not the illustrations found in other printings.  I hope someone here has this version.
    This is the hobbit that I remember best.  I read this the first time I ever read the hobbit.  I don't remember what happened to it or in what circumstances I read it (I probably got it at school), but I imagined the story in this kind of colors and this is how I imagined all the mountains in Middle-Earth to be green until I saw the movies.

This is the one my local library has, I remember this from way back when.

So, given that I was really young when I first saw most of these covers, I thought that every copy of The Hobbit had a different cover.

Any of you have any hobbit-editions?  (apparently, it has a crudton of different covers).
  • edited 2015-05-04 02:26:26
    My dreams exceed my real life
    I have the one with Michael Hague illustrations!
  • Panurge said:

same, this is the one i grew up with

though mine is an orange soft-cover?
  • edited 2015-05-04 02:29:42
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have an edition from (I think) 1987 which is not pictured above.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Panurge said:

Sweet!

-hifive-
    naney said:

Panurge said:

same, this is the one i grew up with

though mine is an orange soft-cover?

-hifives naney as well-
    This is the one I have:

I also have the rightmost one in Aliroz's second picture, which came as part of the LOTR movie tie-in box set.
  • i want to make an "it's about ethics in _______ _______" joke but i don't know enough about chuck pahlaniuk to do it and i also don't feel like reading through the comic in the OP

so there you go

intention to make a joke failed
    it's about ethics in getting your innards sucked into pool filters
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you just had to mention that didn't you
    blame slashdot.
    i don't think i ever actually read the story but slashdot trolls really wanted people to
    I have read it. I even read the book it's from.

As a cavalcade of horrors, it's fine. As a book it has problems.