Pokémon

edited 2012-01-20 19:48:49 in General Media
We don't seem to have a thread for this yet, so I figured I might as well make one. Here's a place for discussing anything related to the Pokémon franchise.

So first off, which games has everyone played, if any? I've played at least one each of the main games from Generations II through V, the first and third Ranger games, and Pokémon Rumble Blast. It seems a bit weird that even though I got into the series through the first season of the animé, I've never finished any of the games that take place in Kanto (except technically Crystal).
Tagged:

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Crystal is the only one I got to play to the end.  My brother wouldn't let me play very far into the others because there was only one save file.

I was never a huge fan of the Stadium games, which my friends would always want to play whenever we had the N64 set up, even though matches inevitably dragged on for ages and everyone got bored.
  • I've played 8lue, Yellow, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green, Platinum and White. The only ones I've got physical copies of right now are Platinum and White though. Haven't played the side games like the Ranger games or the....... dang, forgot what they're called, the ones where your character has 8een turned into a Pokemon.
  • edited 2012-01-20 19:57:52

Silver was my very first video game, and Black is probably my favorite.

And I think I've played all of the main series.
  • Mystery Dungeon is what I was trying to think of.

I think Platinum is my favor8 8ecause I love the Distortion World.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    I got 90% done with Silver and couldn't find the last trainer. This was over a period of five years.
  • Plutonium: dude. Internet guides.

anyway, finished White not too long ago.

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    This was also 12 years ago.

And I gave it to my cousin, so.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Plutonium: Wow, that is quite the roadblock. Sorry about that. I probably would have had trouble finding my way to Mt. Silver without a guide, too.

I never had the side games on the TV consoles, mainly because I never had those consoles. Oddly, now that I have a Wii, I'm curious about the PokéPark games. I have no problem with the fact that their main purpose is to be cutesy and fluffy.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    All the main games, although I still have yet to finish Black or White

I've also played Mystery Dungeon Blue, Explorers of Darkness, Stadium, Pokeranch, Colosseum, and Battle Revolution
  • edited 2012-01-20 22:00:34
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have never played a Pokemon game.
    Pokémon Snap was fun, but I wish it was longer.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I've heard good things about Pokémon Snap. I kind of hope they make a similar one for the 3DS like a few people are speculating.
  • squiddle needs to play Pokemon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If you have a DS of any kind, I'd definitely recommend HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black/White. HeartGold has more familiar Pokémon for older fans, a lot of extra content after beating the game, and my personal favorite minigame, the Pokéathlon. Black and White have newer Pokémon, a slightly more fleshed-out story, more moves and strategies to choose from, and it's easier to level your Pokémon up. Whichever you like better, go for it.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I miss playing Pokemon.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    OH HOW DID I MISS SAYING I PLAYED POKEMON SNAP!

Oh, I also have around 1000 Pokemon TCG Cards, several Pokemon plushies, and a small drawer full of Pokemon figures

Not to mention several of the movies, a book that is essentially a Let's Play (it was when I was little kid who hadn't heard of the internet), a book adaptation of Pokemon 2000, a poster, stickers...

...I may have a problem
  • When I was but a wee girl and watched the anime I wanted to be like Jesse, so I would go around, saying I was part of team rocket and stealing pokemon cards from my classmates trying to collect as many Grass-type pokemon I could.

After being suspended many times after being caught....I spectated people playing Silver and Gold, and was interested in the existence of Lugia and Steelix.

After awhile, Sapphire came along and my friend let me play it, with his file composed of 259 hours, with almost every Hoenn pokemon on there and I gasm'd when I found my first Aron on there.

biuu~ biuu~ is the noise Aron makes.

Eventually I turned into a metagamer, and my enjoyment of the games derailed into hatred upon realizing the tiers, learning about every pokemon in the game, and the fundamental flaws of every single one.
  • edited 2012-01-21 10:17:49
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^Wow. That's quite the interesting story.

Come to think of it, one of the main reasons why I usually avoid the Pokémon metagame is because I know my perfectionist tendencies wouldn't mix well with it. I will admit, I have a bit of a conflict between wanting Pokémon that can do really well in battles and at the same time wanting to be a nice trainer who happily takes care of all their favorites and has cheesy power-of-friendship stuff. Oddly, this usually applies more to stats than species. If there's a species I like enough, I'll catch one no matter what.

And now that I've written that down, that whole description actually seems like a really interesting idea for a fanfic or a roleplay character. I wonder if anyone's done that yet,
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    My pokemon team:

Jolteon
    Blastostie
    Charizard
    Artcinuno
    Alazham
    Steelix
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    My pokemon team:

Rattata
    Poochyena
    Deino
    Sentret
    Mawile
    Totodile

DREAM TEAM MOTHERFUCKERS
  • I tend to keep Gyarados on most of my teams. 'Though in White I couldn't get one til after endgame.

Though my very favor8 Pokemon is Giratina.
    Gyarados is fine but the squittle family get better stats IIRC
    Squirtle used to be my favorite starter, actually. That honor now goes to Totodile, but Squirtle's still pretty close to the top of the list.

And I have trouble making a dream team out of all the Pokémon I consider my favorites. This is because I'm not good at picking favorites. There are about 40-50 Pokémon that I'd be very happy to have on a team. I usually end up dividing them into what my favorite Pokémon are from a certain group or favorite themes (namely reptile, canine, and above-average intelligence Pokémon).
  • I'm not good at narrowing down favor8s either. There aren't a lot of Pokemon that I actually dislike (aside from never having 8een a fan of Grimer/Muk for whatever reason) but a lot that I like, whether for gameplay or design or some interesting little gimmick they have.
  • edited 2012-01-21 13:17:05
    I never payed any attention to the metagame. My teams always consist entirely of Pokemon that I think are awesome.

Anyway, I've played: Yellow, Gold, Pokemon Stadium 2, Ruby, Colosseum, XD, Diamond, HeartGold, and White. The only ones I've finished are Gold and HeartGold. And I've only played White for a couple hours. I really need to get back to that. I also gave my sister a Mystery Dungeon game a few years back, and I've been meaning to swipe it and play it myself.

My current team in HG, the last one I finished: Feraligatr, a Tyrannitar named Reptar, a Gengar, a Scizor, a Metagross, and a Torterra. My current team in White, the one I should be playing: a Servine named Asmodeus, a Lillipup named Lil' Pip, a Blitzle named Zecora, a Pidove named Seppucrow, and a water-monkey named Shroomhead.
    Actually, my favourite for a while was blaziken
  • My favorite was Gyarados for the longest time, then Feraligatr when HG rolled around. At the moment, it's probably Scyther.
    ^^Blaziken I kind of like. My favorite fire starter is the Cyndaquil family, though.

^^^The team I beat the Elite Four with in Diamond was Mia (Torterra), Cowrie (Floatzel), Kee (Crobat), Lei-long (Lucario), and Vivian (Staraptor). In White, the Elite Four team on my current file was Chai (Emboar), Faraday (Dream World Jolteon), Terra (Archeops), Mel (Krookodile), Maya (Cofagrigus), and Patch (Reuniclus).

Yeah, some of my nicknames are more creative and dignified than others.
  • I'm bad at names, so I usually don't nickname my Pokemon. For White, though, I decided I'd try to name them all. So far, they've mostly just been references to stuff I like.
    I usually try to nickname everybody because I feel like a distinct name besides Feraligatr or Archeops is something every Pokémon should have. Sometimes, I get creativity blocks, though, and the results tend to be a little weird. Like my Crobat being names after the sound the cave bats in Final Fantasy I made, or my Lucario being named a pseudo-Chinese name for "lightning dragon" because it sounded cool.
  • edited 2012-01-21 20:29:26
    My favorite conceptually is Shedinja, but I never really use him, because, well, he's Shedinja.

And I nickname everything. Usually, I look up whatever it's based on on wikipedia, then click related links until I find some term I can modify into a name.
  • One of my new favor8s from Gen V is Reuniclus. Actually it was that specific line that swayed me towards getting White instead of 8lack, 8ecause it's a version exclusive and I thought it seemed cool.

And then I started playing with it and it is cool.
    *Googles Reuniclus*  Oh, that thing.

It looks bizarre.  But it does seem kind of cool.

I dunno why, but with newer generations I never really find them as cool looking.  I don't actually know why.  It's like the first gen are Kermit the frog and the newer gens are Anything Muppets wearing different hats.  But that's absurd, because if I actually think about it they're all totally different and this makes no sense and argh, this bugs me and I don't know why.
  • Mine has Heal 8lock. Which is fun to use against heal-happy trainers.
  • edited 2012-01-21 21:02:43
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^I like more of the Pokémon from the first two generations than the other three, but I think every generation has quite a few good ones. I'm just more used to and attached to the older ones, I think.

^^^Funny thing about the Reuniclus family: In my Genetics class, we actually saw the sketches of a homunculus that Solosis's design was based on. I was quite surprised to see them, and I ended up doodling "Wild Solosis appeared!" in my lecture notebook.
    Haha, what the fuck that post.  I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but I dunno why but this unit has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

*reboots*

@ProfessorGator, yeah, I'm the same.  I guess it's probably mainly nostalgia talking.

Bulbapedia thinks Reuniclus' design might be influenced by tardigrades, which is cool if true.
  • My favor8 thing in any of the Pokemon games is still the Distortion World from Pokemon Platinum.

It is just so delightfully weird. Also it has an upside down waterfall. ::::D
    ^^That is kind of cool. It seems to be based moreso on Hartsoeker's sketches, but a lot of Pokémon are based on more than one thing. I mean, take a look at Nidoking. No one seems to be able to decide how much of him is supposed to be a rhino, a gorilla, a porcupine, or a dinosaur.

^I haven't played Platinum yet. I've seen videos of the Distortion world though. It's pretty interesting.
  • The Distortion World is a lot of fun to play what with the gravity switching and platforms appearing and disappearing. I love it.
    So, what's everyone's favorite Legendaries, just out of curiosity? I like Latios and Latias, mainly for the concept. It just seems like friendly telepathic illusionist bird-dragons would be a welcome addition to my team. After that, I also really like Zekrom, Lugia, and Ho-Oh.

And sorry if it's a little awkward that I'm posting here so frequently. Pokémon is kind of my nerd-out series.
  • edited 2012-01-21 22:05:12
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I like Mewtwo, Celebi, Groudon, Ho-oh and Lugia a lot.  More aesthetically really, I couldn't care less about their stats.

Latios and Latias are cool too, and some of my favourites of their gen.  Also I'm kind of fond of Suicune, mainly because I liked Crystal so much.
  • edited 2012-01-21 22:15:10
    I like Jirachi. Only partly because it's the only event Pokemon I have.

Also, I should probably link to this video. Magikarp is way too overpowered.
  • Mine's Giratina (o8viously if it's my favor8 in general XXXXD), with Mewtwo in second. I also like the "cute" legendaries design-wise (Mew, Cele8i, Jirachi, Shaymin, Manaphy, Victini) but haven't used them much in game despite having a Jirachi and a Shaymin in Platinum and a Victini in White. Zekrom is also cool and I use him a 8unch in White.
  • edited 2012-01-22 01:18:40
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    My favourite Pokemon in no particular order (well, Feraligatr is my top favourite but otherwise no particular order):

Feraligatr, Totodile/Croconaw, Pikachu, Umbreon, Articuno, Stoutland, Flygon

And try a Nuzlocke challenge some time. I've never felt this attached to my Pokemon since I was a little kid :D
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Would anybody here be interesting in a table top version of Pokemon? I have a campaign I tried to start on another forum, but nobody seems to be interested there D:
    @Icalasari: I read through a bit of the player's handbook for that, actually. It sounds pretty interesting. What kind of campaign did you have in mind?

I'm not sure why, but I think it would be interesting to play the unsuspecting trainer in a campaign with a similar premise to Char Cole (a webcomic where a professor's son gets into a lab accident that turns him into a Charmander, and he ends up with a 10-year-old trainer).