when something you used to enjoy doesn't hold up

Comments

• this is like the third or fourth thread you've made about something related to older cartoons in the past 24 hours.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's not The Flintstones, it's just that Fred provided me with the appropriate reaction image

This is about The Lion King
  • the Lion King is a good movie even if it's basically just Hamlet with lions.

also The Ladysmith Black Mambazo did the soundtrack iirc and you can't go wrong with that.
    It felt kind of underdeveloped to me

The look is TOO "perfect", I felt a bit of Jeffrey Katzenberg's Hollywood taint on it, but it still has good songs though
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    what's a motto with you imho
    I feel sad because I used to love The Lion King
  • I can probably still enjoy the Voltron series.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    although I despise Disney, I have some slight attachment to The Lion King since it came out at the same time as my EXISTENTIAL CRISIS.

meanwhile, I tried watching the 80s Transformers cartoon, which I liked when I was a kid, and I could physically feel myself becoming dumber as a result of it.
    I thought you didn't like The Lion King

I should probably watch it again though
    I don't like it, but I'm still attached to it.
    ok fine I'm watching it again and not as let down by it now

I do find it bizarre that the animals, completely disconnected from the human world, know shit from it though

Like Shenzi joking about a "cub sandwich" how do they make sandwiches in the African wild?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For me that falls under the same suspension of disbelief that allows me to accept animals in the African wilderness speaking English to each other--i.e., it's something done so the human audience can understand it--but I can see why that might niggle at you
    Well it might not help that The Lion King is supposed to be part of the same shared reality as all the other entries in the Animated Canon (at least corporate wants us to think it is, though it feels more like its own world)

It would make sense for the characters in Lady and the Tramp and One Hundred and One Dalmatians to talk about throw rugs and such, but maybe I'm not using my imagination enough and figuring that humans have passed through the Pride Lands and Elephant Graveyard and the animals overheard their lingo and picked up detritus from them
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ah, there's the thing. I always sorta mentally separated out The Lion King from the rest of Animated Canon universe, somehow
    the problem with the works of animation studios with a strong identity sharing a universe is that once they sprawl enough you run into kinks - Yogi and pals live in "the present", meaning they can't interact with Fred Flintstone or Astro without the aid of time travel, for instance
    there's also Lilo & Stitch, returning to Disney, being more the product of one person's artistic vision than of some huge "bigger than oneself" undertaking like most of the Animated Canon
    I do find the marginalization of the hyenas pretty troubling though

Like even The Natural Order detests them
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Anonus said:

when something you used to enjoy doesn't hold up

That's never happened to me. Ever.

If I liked something in the past, I find new reasons to like it in the present.

Nothing has changed. Nothing will change.
    its place in my Disney Animated Canon favorites list is being restored anyway

in part because, well, it is the embodiment of the "bigger than oneself" Disney spirit
    even with the slight Katzenbergian trappings

thank god he had a hissy fit and went to fuck shit up at his own place, DreamWorks Animation, instead of Disney anymore

I remember being told that Pocahontas was a sign of the nasty shit he would have infected the Animated Canon further with had he stayed
  • edited 2015-04-18 10:15:14
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Anonus said:

its place in my Disney Animated Canon favorites list is being restored anyway

in part because, well, it is the embodiment of the "bigger than oneself" Disney spirit
    in case you're wondering, the other favorites are One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Lilo & Stitch, and Wreck-It Ralph

one from each era of the studio except for the Post-Walt era (which begins with The Aristocats and ends with Oliver and Company)
    One Hundred and One Dalmatians is Walt-era, The Lion King is Renaissance, Lilo & Stitch is Post-Renaissance, and Wreck-It Ralph is Second Renaissance
    for the record, the rough beginnings and ends of each era:
    • Walt: From Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to The Jungle Book
    • Post-Walt: From The Aristocats to Oliver and Company
    • Renaissance: From Who Framed Roger Rabbit to Tarzan
    • Post-Renaissance: From The Emperor's New Groove to Meet the Robinsons
    • Second Renaissance: From Bolt onward
    i realize now (or once again) that the simplicity of the film contributes to its mammoth feeling
    Anonus said:

I do find it bizarre that the animals, completely disconnected from the human world, know shit from it though

Like Shenzi joking about a "cub sandwich" how do they make sandwiches in the African wild?
    This bothered me a lot. I felt it detracted from the film. Yes, that does imply that a Disney film can be detracted from.

What exactly does Katzenberg do that's so horrible?
    a lot of people, myself included, blame him for the further commoditization of American feature animation

bringing in lots of celebrities to do voices instead of lesser-known actors or specialized voice actors (one of the drawbacks of this is that, aside from a sense that it's turning the movie into more of a "product", is that it makes it tough to use the characters they voice outside of the movies because the budgets will be lower and they have to get soundalikes), a lot of the failings of DreamWorks Animation's lesser efforts are pretty much his fault...
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know, it was Aladdin bringing in Robin Williams that really kicked that snowball down the hill...

Not that the snowball wasn't being formed, but that was a launch.
    I know...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Considering Alice In Wonderland had people like Sterling Holloway, Ed Wynn, and Jerry Colonna, you can hardly say animation was lacking in celebrity voices.
    ...who?
  • Very well known celebrity comedians and actors of the 50s
    wow, those were real people
    I never believed it before
    I already knew Sterling Holloway as the voice of Winnie the Pooh, and Ed Wynn for having been the basis for the voices of Captain Peachfuzz, Wally Gator, and King Candy (who is already based on the Mad Hatter)...
  • edited 2015-04-20 19:42:53
    Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I liked the Post-Walt era

(I also liked Renaissance and after)
  • Anonus said:

It's a law of Disney cartoons that comic relief is allowed knowledge of the multiverse.