I seem to have acquired a fondness for Lady and the Tramp just by writing for the characters

(well, in specific, Tramp really)

I watched the whole thing again last month. I thought it to be kind of dull and tedious. Well-made, but dull and tedious. Tramp is by design the only character in the whole thing with any real verve, but the pacing feels a bit too slow (and related to that, the part in the dog pound with all the whining and crying goes on WAY too long).

But I decided that Lady and Tramp should hang out with Pongo and Perdita and by the gods is that fucking fun to write.

Comments

• also they fight robots

please tell me they fight robots
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There's robots in my 101 Dalmatians: The Series episodes, but they're not fought. The characters do fight incorporeal beings and visit the underworld though. (Not Lady and Tramp themselves, they do however blow up Cruella's car)
    Maybe they should fight one of the robots though
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    That's pretty normal, I think. I didn't care much for The Great and Powerful Trixie until I wrote her into one of my stories as a lark.

Writing a character as more than a flat stereotype requires you to get inside their head to really understand why they act like they do. And it's much easier to sympathize with them once you've done that.
    Returning to domestic life, in my mind, didn't change Tramp much - he still acts like a free spirit, he still speaks fondly of life as a stray (if you remember, he was abandoned/ran away from his old home after his masters had a baby), he still calls Lady "pidge"...

I know that's probably lazy writing

Lady has changed though - by remarkable coincidence, Lady and Tramp's family moved from their old home (a nameless town which was based on Walt Disney's hometown of Marceline, Missouri - so I decided that the town IS Marceline - to Gruteley) and Lady seems to like the South much, much less than Tramp does