Official Heaper's Hangout Petition To Make Todd In The Shadows Stop Talking About Movies On Twitter

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What did he say now?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    lee4hmz said:

What did he say now?

I'll take that as a signature.

Panurge

Lee4hmz
  • I would like to start a counter petition to make Todd in the Shadows stop talking about anything, on any internet platform.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    TitS
    I would like to start a counter petition to make Todd in the Shadows stop talking about anything, on any internet platform.
    There was a time I would disagree, but stopping this madman from discussing movies is deeply important to me.

Anyway

Panurge

Lee4hmz

Imipolex G

Planet Jane
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    What's that? Sure, I'm against dihydrogen monoxide! Sign me up!
  • edited 2015-04-19 01:17:48
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Thank you MetaFour

Panurge

Lee4hmz

Imipolex G

Planet Jane

Meta Four
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    oH yeah, I am going for this wholeheartedly!
  • edited 2015-04-19 01:36:41
    Panurge

Lee4hmz

Imipolex G

Planet Jane

Meta Four

Aliroz
  • I just like my name in lists :v

this petition would probably be just as effective as most other online petitions anyways (dohoho)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    SF_Sorrow said:

I just like my name in lists :v

welcome to Club Aspie ^_^
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I was avoiding posting in this thread since I don't agree with the sentiment, and I knew anything I'd say in this thread would count as a signature, but if SFS is going to join, why not?
  • edited 2015-04-19 18:58:11
    Panurge

Lee4hmz

Imipolex G

Planet Jane

Meta Four

Aliroz

SF_Sorrow

Central Avenue

Section42L
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I actually really like Kesha.

But also. I don't want to be part of no internet army.
    Todd also seemed like he was angrier back in 2010. This was before he met Lindsay and all.
  • edited 2015-04-19 03:56:33
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    OH, I despise lindsay.

She trashed The Lorax movie.

My three-year-old cousin (actually the three year old son of my cousin) loves the Lorax movie.

AUSTIN DISAGREES WITH YOU, LINDSAY.  YOU DARE TELL THE KING OF SCORPIONS THAT HE IS WRONG?

(He told me that he is the king of scorpions.)
    Yes, but is he a Transformer? (My nephew was Optimus Prime last I saw him XD)
  • Uh, why?

Like seriously why do you even care
    Panurge

Lee4hmz

Imipolex G

Planet Jane

Meta Four

Aliroz

SF_Sorrow

Central Avenue

Section42L

Yarrun XIX

Mach Speed
    Kexruct said:

Uh, why?

Like seriously why do you even care

Todd's terrible opinions on movies effect us ALL Kexruct.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    REMOVE MY NAME FROM THIS LIST

IT HAS MAGICKAL POWER OVER ME
  • How are they shitty, though

like aside from you disagreeing with them

Like I don't agree with Dan Olson about all the superhero movies he listed as vaguely fascist-y but I understand and respect his reasoning for it.
  • kex it appears that you have been coaxed into a snafu
  • naney said:

kex it appears that you have been coaxed into a snafu

I'm not really in a snafu necessarily it just bothers me- as someone who Has Opinions- that someone would tell someone else to never express those opinions, even jokingly. As someone who agrees with Todd rather frequently, at any rate, it does also end up feeling a bit like my opinions are by extension insulted.
  • In seriousness, critics dipping their toes into a field of criticism in which they are not trained usually goes poorly (see: Roger Ebert and video games as the most notable example).

But anyway, I don't actually have anything against Todd in the Shadows in particular, but so many people think I do that I can't not play into it, you know?
  • Todd has said that he's a bit more interested in film criticism than music criticism but he does what he does because not as many people fill that particular niche. At any rate, the issue with Ebert was partially that he was dismissive of the medium to begin with, not just untrained in it.
    Todd's film opinions are bad because they are boring and wrong, and he expresses them with the utmost deep inner conviction, thus compounding the problem.
  • Do you expect him to append the caveat that he's wrong to all his opinions? What makes them boring and wrong in the first place?
    Kexruct said:

Do you expect him to append the caveat that he's wrong to all his opinions? What makes them boring and wrong in the first place?

You know, some of us are born with fragile bones, and that's the reason we don't become pro football players.
    Furthermore, a man who does not like Agents of SHIELD but watches every episode anyway has no right to express opinions on live-action storytelling media.
  • Are you suggesting that Todd in the Shadows has an innate ineptitude at film criticism

like I understand you're being facetious but examine your metaphors here

at any rate you still haven't explained what you take issue with exactly
  • Panurge said:

Furthermore, a man who does not like Agents of SHIELD but watches every episode anyway has no right to express opinions on live-action storytelling media.

I don't understand this kind of intellectual masochism.

"I fucking hate every second of this but I am going to suffer through it just so I can tell everyone how terrible it is in detail."
  • Furthermore, a man who does not like Agents of SHIELD but watches every episode anyway has no right to express opinions on live-action storytelling media.

Why, though? What about the fact that he watches a show neither of you like precludes him from expressing opinions?
    If you like Agents of SHIELD and watch it, you can express opinions on live-action storytelling media.

If you don't like Agents of SHIELD and don't or have stopped watching it you can express opinions on live-action storytelling media

If you don't like Agents of SHIELD and watch it, you are Part Of The Problem and must have your opinion-haver on live action storytelling media card taken away.
  • Only part of the problem if you believe that believing in outright eradication of bad media is a natural extension of not liking a thing.
    Kexruct said:

Only part of the problem if you believe that believing in outright eradication of bad media is a natural extension of not liking a thing.

Nope nope nope.

Not inherent in what I said.
  • edited 2015-04-20 23:11:47
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    If you like Agents of SHIELD and watch it, you can express opinions on live-action storytelling media.

If you don't like Agents of SHIELD and don't or have stopped watching it you can express opinions on live-action storytelling media

If you don't like Agents of SHIELD and watch it, you are Part Of The Problem and must have your opinion-haver on live action storytelling media card taken away.
    There're also simple things like torrenting, if you want to minimize how much of The Problem you are.

Even putting aside that hate-watching is a thing, I rather dislike the idea that you can't watch something you dislike and then be disallowed from talking about it. How else are you going to specify what exactly a piece of media does wrong without actually taking the time to indulge in enough of it? Read synopses? Go off of secondhand opinions? That's idiotic.

Or not treat Twitter and such like one more piece of an extended dialogue on whatever media is being discussed, where every opinion is (technically) open to modification with new information.

Don't add me to this list.
  • Panurge said:

Kexruct said:

Only part of the problem if you believe that believing in outright eradication of bad media is a natural extension of not liking a thing.

Nope nope nope.

Not inherent in what I said.
    Then what is the problem, exactly, aside from the show's existence?
    Todd doesn't talk about Agents of SHIELD. He just occasionally mentions watching it despite disliking it, as is his Duty As An Informed Consumer Of Marvel/Disney Content
  • edited 2015-04-20 23:19:29
    Why is that an issue

Honestly I'm picking up some "they're just sheeple"-y vibes from the way you stated that
    As Informed Consumers Of Content, we must ALL imbibe Content from our Favorite Content Creators At All Times No Matter What. 

Of course, we may express reservations, anger, or disgust with our favorite source of Content, but there Is No Alternative To Consuming.
  • That is a really unhealthy and condescending way to look at things.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    What are you patronizingly aping so that we can actually talk straight about this.
    Kexruct said:

That is a really unhealthy and condescending way to look at things.

Which one of us has had to sit through less sub-par TV, me or Todd?

I rest my case.
    Panurge said:

Greetings, I'm the Nostalgic Angry Spoon Snob Guy In The Shadows Nerd and I'm here to talk about the cinematic turdball that is Transformers 11: Still Transformin'

Now I know what you're thinking: Didn't I not review Transformers 10? Well the answer is, although I went to see it on opening day, T10 was just a recap of Transformers 5-9. I couldn't believe how many fratbro dudebro idiots went to see the movie, given how bad it was. Now let me pull up my 50$ commemorative Transformers 11 action figure to show you just how shitty even the toys for this thing are...

• You seem to be really sold on this particular narrative, man

step back and see if it, like, actually applies
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm probably not going to see any of those, but I'm still frustrated at how you talk about it.

Where does that leave me?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    for someone so pissed off that people watch movies or tv shows they hate you sure like reading the twitter feeds of neoreactionaries