What is Art?

I am currently deep in my glorified fanfic under the mask of Jill Hersheimer, and I fear that the shows she's worked on (101 Dalmatians: The Series, Cirque du Yogi, and Space Ghost (2016)) can never be Art. The trophy of Excellence will always be out of their reach.

So what does attain the trophy of Excellence and plaudits as Art?

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Art is Maya: a shared delusion that we pretend means something.

But because it is shared, it is important.

Art is whatever we currently say it is. In fact, it is nothing BUT what we say it is.
  • art responds to other art
  • I mean "Art", not "art"
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Baby don't hurt me

Don't hurt me

No Moore
  • I mean "Art", not "art"

but Art is bullshit, and art is way better
  • just imo ofcourse
  • a miserable little pile of greater meaning
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I suppose you're talking about "high art", which is a system of power and prestige meant to favor those who embody what the elite want to represent about their culture.

By nature, it is exclusionary.
  • MachSpeed said:

a system of power and prestige meant to favor those who embody what the elite want to represent about their culture.

• Art is bullshit

art is cool

imo graffiti > almost all formal painting
    I wish that image worked, because then it would have been hilarious.
  • person that made the "broken image" thumbnail > Andy Warhol
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

person that made the "broken image" thumbnail > Andy Warhol

nah
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
  • Art is bullshit

art is cool

I'm one of those people who considers the early Hanna-Barbera backgrounds Art, and those are formal painting
  • anyway I'm not talking about "high art", I am talking about things that are generally accepted as Art and/or win critical plaudits
  • Art is bullshit

art is cool

I'm one of those people who considers the early Hanna-Barbera backgrounds Art, and those are formal painting
    formal paintings hang on gallery walls.

I mean some HB backgrounds do, but only in like cartoon history museums, that's not what I meant.
  • oh

my idea of Art seems to differ from yours

anyway I'm not talking about "high art", I am talking about things that are generally accepted as Art and/or win critical plaudits

Those are the same things, there's just different heights of it.

And then there's the gulf between the lowest of high art and just art.
  • Art is influential. Art is important. To dust an old one off, Art has legitimacy.
  • Art is not just some bullshit the elite pretend to enjoy so they can feel better than us
  • edited 2015-04-14 01:10:37
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I actually don't feel like art is that important. I don't feel that it's as influential as we think it is.

Controlled empathy can only ever reach people at arm's length. It cannot make people change their minds.

It's good at some things, but it isn't a cure-all. It isn't a great weight that nobody can ignore.
  • edited 2015-04-14 01:13:07
    BEWARE OF GRRL!
    I'm more artsy than you are, so I don't completely agree...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    fuck compose fuck melody dedicated to no one thanks to no one ART IS OVER
  • Art is influential. Art is important. To dust an old one off, Art has legitimacy.
    Legitimacy, Influence, and Importance are all essentially units of cultural currency. Cultural currency always comes from the people in power and is given to those that either respect the establishment that made them or challenge the establishment in a way that is sure to not actually change anything.

So, yes, Art, at least in the sense that you're talking about is just some bullshit the elite pretend to enjoy so they can feel better than us.

Even if you were to buy into that whole line of rhetoric, what is considered legitimate, influential, and culturally important changes over time.

Compare the reaction to rock music when it was new (intelligence-damaging and potentially dangerous) to how it is viewed today (the default "best" supergenre of popular music), as an example.

I'm more artsy than you are, so I don't completely agree...

Kraken designs boardgames, how is that not an art (lowercase "A"), form?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Well baby don't hurt me

don't hurt me

no more
  • I was unaware that Kraken designed boardgames

Also my obsession with "Art" comes at least in part from a Slate article that said exploitation films from the 1970s being considered such was thanks to the process of "Crap + 20 Years = Art"
  • Also my mental image of Excellence is the "YOU'RE WINNER!" trophy from Big Rigs, so take that as you will
    I don't do boardgames, I do tabletop roleplaying games. It's the difference between Monopoly and Champions. It's why I keep making roleplay threads that insist on using game systems.

I think it's not so much [CRAP] + 20[YEARS] = [ART] so much as it is that it took twenty years for the people who enjoyed exploitation films to come into power.
  • that makes sense
  • lee4hmz said:

artgate lololololololololololol

it's about ethics in art criticism
  • lee4hmz said:

• person that made the "broken image" thumbnail > Andy Warhol

Warhol's influence has been destructive mostly because it's been misinterpreted. I can relate to him because he was tortured farmboy from nowhere, he was picked on, and he was a sissy. So that [identity] is part of the thrust behind his whole work. But for example, when he said "15 minutes famous," he didn't really mean it as a good thing. He meant it as a very detached way, like everyone will be a product from a factory that's slotted for this moment of fame, and everyone is just interchangeable—it's a dystopian vision. I mean, the truth is that he was incredibly morbid and detached. On him it looks good, but when you have super-rich artists trying to emulate his philosophy, they totally misunderstand it and it becomes a capitalist indulgence.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

person that made the "broken image" thumbnail > Andy Warhol

Obligatory: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/google_chromes_broken_image_icon_heals_broken_hearts.php