"Good Guy Pringles: The only chip company that doesn't sell air"

Pringles are not technically chips

Comments

• Also people keep calling brands "companies", which I suppose is a testament to how successful consumer packaged goods giants are at being invisible
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Also people keep calling brands "companies", which I suppose is a testament to how successful consumer packaged goods giants are at being invisible

That always seemed to be a pet peeve of yours
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    product is sold by weight, not volume.  some settling of product may occur during shipping
  • Pringles are not technically chips

how so
    they're not manufactured in the same way that chips are, so they can't legally be called chips
  • Calica said:

they're not manufactured in the same way that chips are, so they can't legally be called chips

they only have 42% potato content

this is why they're "Potato Crisps" and not chips
  • oh

can they be legally called potato crisps?
  • In America they can, but in the UK, at last check, they're potato snacks
  • In July 2008 in the London High Court,
    P&G lawyers successfully argued that Pringles were not crisps (even
    though labelled "Potato Crisps" on the container) as the potato content
    was only 42% and their shape, P&G stated, "is not found in nature".
    This ruling, against a United Kingdom VAT
    and Duties Tribunal decision to the contrary, exempted Pringles from
    the then 17.5% VAT for potato crisps and potato-derived snacks.[14] In May 2009, the Court of Appeal reversed the earlier decision. A spokesman for P&G stated it had been paying the VAT proactively and owed no back taxes.[20][21]
  • (in case this needs to be said, Procter & Gamble no longer makes Pringles; they sold the product line to the Kellogg Company in 2012)
  • Terminology is everything, I guess.
  • what about the arguably superior Lays' Stax?
  • edited 2015-03-31 06:40:08

what about eating actual chips that taste good and arent reformatted mashed potatoes
  • they lack Julius Pringles
  • naney said:

what about eating actual chips that taste good and arent reformatted mashed potatoes

as someone who deeply loves and respects potato chips, there is no difference between a sufficiently thin actual potato chip and a Pringles-style potato crisp.

You have to get really good potato chips to notice the difference.
  • naney said:

JULIUS PRINGLES AND HIS BOWTIE INTENSIFY
  • julius pringles can go suck my dingle
  • I will be honest with you, before your sudden obsession with them, I did not actually know that Pringles Guy had a name.
  • there is a difference between even average potato chips and Munchos though.

Munchos are strange.
  • naney said:

as someone who deeply loves and respects potato chips, there is no difference between a sufficiently thin actual potato chip and a Pringles-style potato crisp.
    no

that's just not true at all

that is a comestible falsehood
  • I will be honest with you, before your sudden obsession with them, I did not actually know that Pringles Guy had a name.

This isn't sudden, Pringles have actually been an irregular obsession of mine since I was very young
  • naney said:

naney said:

no

that's just not true at all

that is a comestible falsehood
    show me the functional difference between plain Lays and a plain Pringle.

You can tell them apart but which would you rather have? It doesn't matter, they are the same thing in different shape and thickness.

This isn't sudden, Pringles have actually been an irregular obsession of mine since I was very young
    I don't honestly know what there is to obsess over.

Don't get me wrong Pringles is a consistent snack food. They also occasionally roll out new flavors which are actually good instead of just novel (see: Mexican Dip, which seems to have disappeared). Which I can't say is true for like, most potato chip companies.

Nobody wanted "loaded hot wings" chips, Ruffles.

NOBODY
  • they have completely different mouthfeel
    the functional difference is that pringles you can do the duck thing with
  • You can obsess over everything ABOUT Pringles! The logo. The can. The fun-to-say name. The bizarreness of the fact that Coke didn't swoop in and buy it when they had the chance to do so in 2011 (though P&G tried to dump it into a joint venture with Coke that would have also included their much less appealing product Sunny Delight along with Coke's own Minute Maid and Five-Alive products)
  • I mean, PepsiCo owns Frito-Lay. Surely Coke would have gotten just a TAD jealous?
  • You can obsess over everything ABOUT Pringles! The logo. The can. The fun-to-say name. The bizarreness of the fact that Coke didn't swoop in and buy it when they had the chance to do so in 2011 (though P&G tried to dump it into a joint venture with Coke that would have also included their much less appealing product Sunny Delight along with Coke's own Minute Maid and Five-Alive products)

*hands you an entire tub of Calm Balm*
    remember that miss utilis here really likes thinking about #brands

*hands you an entire tub of Calm Balm*
    I don't need Calm Balm
    now i'm thinking of those sunny delight commercials

UNLEASH THE POWER OF THE SUN
  • Calm Balm is a property of the Calm Corporation.

The Calm Corporation, we put you to sleep!
  • Calica said:

sunny delight is disgusting shit and I'm glad they don't seem to sell it around here anymore

or maybe they do

• Calica said:

sunny delight is disgusting shit and I'm glad they don't seem to sell it around here anymore

or maybe they do
    you say this but you eat pringles
    i remember liking sunny d as a kid

i don't know if i'd like it now
  • naney said:

Calica said:

or maybe they do
    And bugs don't talk, Zorak, so welcome to the asylum!
    is sunny d even still sold
  • I don't understand Sunny D.

half the selling point of orange juice is that it's good for you

so why have Sunny D, which is just orange juice that isn't good for you?

I don't get it.

Like Minute-Maid Orange Juice tastes the same and is less teeth-rottingly sugary.
    naney said:

Calica said:

or maybe they do
    what would you know about chips, cats are carnivores
    According to a BBC News report, the negative publicity escalated when a Sunny Delight television ad showing a snowman turn orange was released at about the same time as reports of a girl who had turned orange – due to the UK product's use of beta-Carotene for colour – after drinking too much Sunny Delight.
  • >says we don't know shit about potato chips
    >when asked to provide evidence that they consume potato chips, produces a picture showing them with a potato skins bag on their head
    >mfw
    you know what potato chips are really good?  kettle chips
    suck on that motherfuckers
  • Calica said:

I've contemplated buying the company that makes those
  • Calica said:

I've contemplated buying the company that makes those
    Utilis, kettle cooked chips are like, a kind of potato chip, not a branded product.

Anyone can make kettle-cooked chips.

Even you.
  • edited 2015-03-31 07:39:22

there is apparently a Kettle brand chip company but i had never heard of that until now, presumably that is what anonus was thinking of
    there is also a branded product called kettle chips, which is a particular brand of kettle-cooked chip
    i was referring, of course, to both