the '90s were a great time

when Media Companies WEREN'T FUCKING RETARDED

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    except WB, which apparently died with Steve Ross
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-12-18 19:22:47
    90's WB had a lot of good stuff.  Batman, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain.  Men In Black.  I think they had Earthworm Jim too, and I don't actually remember if it was any good or if I just liked it because I was seven and it was WACKY.

Pretty much every anime they aired that wasn't Pokemon was utter crap though.

But yeah, after the 90's Saturday morning cartoons just kind of fell off all the other channels in favor of reruns of sitcoms that were already on primetime, and Disney's horribad live-action pop star horseshit.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    NBC threw in the towel early, partially because they wanted to expand Today to Saturdays, partially because the 1991-1992 season was full of bombs (once Smurfs left the air, they had nothing to replace it). It also helped that Saved by the Bell was a huge hit, and they wanted more shows like that.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I looked up NBC's post-Smurfs schedules, and while 1990-1991 wasn't so bad (Gravedale High was a good show that deserved better), 1991-1992 is a smorgasbord of Totally Radical. Space Cats? I don't even remember that. Yo, Yogi? I think that has its own thread here someplace! ProStars and Wish Kid were both celebrity vehicles (made by DiC, of course) that had no purpose other than vanity, and Chip & Pepper? That makes Yo, Yogi! look like classic H-B.

All this was up against Garfield and TMNT on CBS (which is probably what I would have been watching), and the second season of Fox Kids Saturdays. ABC had just redone their schedule, and the only things I remember seeing were the Land of the Lost remake and Pirates of Dark Water.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Sometimes it makes me proud of child me for never being interested in Disney's live action stuff. 
  • edited 2014-12-18 22:25:00
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Bee said:

90's WB had a lot of good stuff.  Batman, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain.  Men In Black.  I think they had Earthworm Jim too, and I don't actually remember if it was any good or if I just liked it because I was seven and it was WACKY.

FWIW, I watched some episodes of Earthworm Jim relatively recently, and it still seemed pretty good to me.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I remember rewatching a bunch of Freakazoid a couple years back and it stood up very well, all things considered
  • Oh good.  Child me had some taste then.
  • ^^ Likewise. 

As for Earthworm Jim, I barely remember the cartoon itself but its theme song is now stuck in my head, so thanks for that