Are talking animals more of a guy thing?

Inspired by a thread elsewhere about why Disney won't make Maid Marian a Disney Princess: because she's a fox.

Also, Centie doesn't like furries as much as I do

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think so

i think Maid Marian not being a Disney Princess is more about consistency and maybe also her not being as pretty as the others, in conventional terms

and most people don't like furries
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wonder why that is

Most people seem to kind of hate animals in general
    ???

not in my experience!

most people like animals, or at least certain animals (dogs and cats being popular)

cartoon animals less so
    I wish normal people didn't sneer upon animation like they seem to
    yeah, that's annoying

and i guess it's probably part and parcel of that

although to my mind cartoon animals ≠ furries

also you can like cartoons but be not into talking animals
    hopefully over the next couple of decades the normal people will sneer upon animation less

because, well, our generation grew up watching things with multigenerational appeal that weren't just devised to fill space between ads for cereal and toys and such (like Saturday morning was for pretty much the whole of the institution's heyday)
    i think perhaps the success of shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy, as well as some of the anime aimed at older viewers, might have given our generation a more favourable view of animation

previously the perception was that animation was just for kids, and that animation aimed at adults was a very niche market

that's changed
    that's basically what you just said, i guess
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Your face is more of a guy thing.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my sister was always much more into talking animals than I was

/proof by anecdote
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I'd like to think that animation has worked to solve its age-range image problems recently, although I'll admit that I'm a bit jaded from seeing various versions of the same 'X: No Longer Just For Kids' articles written again and again every couple years.

One issue I've found is often there's a feeling that the demarcation between what is and isn't 'for kids' has to be set very clearly in animation, which sometimes leads to cartoons aimed at adults going too far in the other direction (so to prove it isn't for kids, then it must not be suitable for kids). Not always an issue for the shows themselves, even if I personally might not be a fan of it, but it might be a problem for the genre as a whole if these are the only shows that are able to be made.