Variety headlines (and illustrations if need be) that are silly to those of us not in the 'biz

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    oh my god the actual article is somehow amusing to me too

I don't usually give a shit about the kudos season so I don't tend to read this stuff but the way this is written hammers home how insular Hollywood is
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Normal talk makes producers walk, you might as well speak Greek
    I do wonder how convincing my article on Fox airing 101 was

I mean I did use "skein"
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You seem to have the handle on buzzspeak in your articles, except when you're being purposefully silly.
  • but how can we use this to thinkfluence the zeitgeist?

those words are in italics because they are in a foreign language.
    that's not slanguage though
  • This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my 20 1/2 years as a human on this planet.

"crix"

I just

I want to cry.

This is not organic slang, this is the "we're gonna make a SECRET CODE LANGUAGE" mentality that like 4th graders have, but in adult men who should know better.
  • This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my 20 1/2 years as a human on this planet.

"crix"

I just

I want to cry.

This is not organic slang, this is the "we're gonna make a SECRET CODE LANGUAGE" mentality that like 4th graders have, but in adult men who should know better.
  • Mouse (also Mouse House) — the Walt Disney Co. or any division thereof, a reference to the company’s most famous animated character, Mickey Mouse; “The Mouse’s music division is reuniting with talent manager Alan Smithee on a joint-venture label.”

Fuck everyone involved in writing this paragraph.
    I don't think I've ever seen "crix" in its intended context. "Skein," yes. "Web," yes.

Also, "adult men who should know better" just about sums up the higher echelons of showbiz society
    You know i often got the feeling, when seeing articles about showbiz, that the articles were somehow not written 'for me', like they were intended to go above my head.

i thought i was being silly, but this slanguage page reads like a confirmation of that.
    there does seem to be a certain feeling of superiority around Hollywood, yes
    it's why watching NBC can be so annoying at times

"HEY GUYS, DID YOU KNOW THAT NEW YORK CITY"
    Is that the American equivalent of Britain Is Only London?
    No, it's NBC being the most showbizzy of the major networks

The network loves to play up that it is based in New York
  • Yes.

Other eastcoasters specifically tend to resent New York because there's a lot more to this part of the country but no one cares about it. Even Philadelphia gets the short end of the stick in comparison, much less cities that aren't as widely known, like say, Baltimore.
    But other cities get that as well, don't they?  Like, lots of people seem to make a big deal out of, say, Paris (the one in France), or LA.
  • Yes, I'm speaking only for fellow northeasterners.

On the west coast you have either LA or San Francisco (which are indistinguishable in most peoples' eyes), down south you have Dallas, and very rarely New Orleans.

That's about the sum of America to most folks.
    How are LA and SF indistinguishable?

Like, LA has Hollywood and SF doesn't and I hear it's more expensive to live there
    Truthfully, San Francisco has always seemed far cooler to me than LA anyway
    Dallas has never formed a big impression on me, but LA and San Francisco seem quite distinct from one another...
    also as for down south how about Atlanta, the one-time preferred stomping grounds of my idol Ted Turner
    Again, it's a famous city, but it never struck me as LA or New York tier...

As i'm not American, this probably doesn't mean much, though.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Atlanta: Southern Gothic mostly

Dallas: In texas. Maybe less fat people than Houston? I know someone in college there.
  • Atlanta really only matters to music fans I've found.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    I only ever heard about Atlanta from relevance to music, until I found out I knew someone who was from near there

So I guess there's some truth in that
    If the slanguage article is to be believed, Variety are responsible for 'deejay' and 'emcee'.

And they actually seem to be proud of this.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    22:42:52 < dril> [a6] CELEB: Love that Moolah baby
    22:42:52 < dril> ME: Did u see that shit. Did u see that shit. He called it moolah instead of money. God damn! Only in hollywood

• Tachyon said:

If the slanguage article is to be believed, Variety are responsible for 'deejay' and 'emcee'.

And they actually seem to be proud of this.

Jamaica is responsible for "deejay".

Surprise! There's also an element of either ignorance or racism in this too, whoulda thunkit.
    i didn't know that.  Sorry, then.

It's something that's irritated me a lot, because i was always like, 'Do you not know what DJ means?'  i thought people were writing it out because they didn't know the acronym, or because they were too 'sophisticated' to use acronyms.

But if it's part of another dialect then i guess i shouldn't object.
  • Tachyon said:

i didn't know that.  Sorry, then.

It's something that's irritated me a lot, because i was always like, 'Do you not know what DJ means?'  i thought people were writing it out because they didn't know the acronym, or because they were too 'sophisticated' to use acronyms.

But if it's part of another dialect then i guess i shouldn't object.

There's nothing to apologize for, it's just another reason to add to the "Why Variety is Bullshit" list.

Yeah my assumption is that when the term was brought over from America people didn't realize it was an acronym so just wrote it out as "deejay". Nowadays, that generally refers to reggae vocalists (a role we'd call "MC" in hip-hop).
    Most of the times i've seen it has been in British or American writing, and the surrounding dialect has not been Jamaican... that's when it's irritated me.  'Emcee' even more so, since 'Master of Ceremonies' is a much older expression.

i didn't know that reggae vocalists were called deejays.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    And their disc jockeys are called selecters.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    (be warned, they do have a metered paywall)
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-06-12 08:17:59
    I was considering giving either Tiny or the Radio a slanguage-based method of speech in that Tiny and Big fanfic I was thinking about writing but then I figured it would seem like I'd be shoehorning it in for quirkiness's sake so I decided against it.

(I might come back to the idea for something else later on, though. It just seems like the perfect dialect for a character who wants to sound cool but doesn't pull it off, just like Variety itself.)
  • also, fun fact: Passion Pit (that one band with the dude with the high voice) named themselves after the slanguage term passion pit (that being a drive-in theater, supposedly a place where teenage couples made out passionately in their heyday).

Probably the best thing to come out of the slanguage phenomenon, right there.
  • what is slanguage other than the name of the worst cafe of all time
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

what is slanguage other than the name of the worst cafe of all time

hollywood bullshit slang, i think anonus linked a thing about it earlier in the thread
    Anonus said:

that's not slanguage though

this stuff

the stuff that made you want to cry
  • That'd be the version of English printed in the pages of Variety Magazine.

I like to think of it as the old, crusty precursor to the methods of speech seen in Adventure Time, though that's probably just me.
  • (Except, of course, for the fact that Adventure Time pulls its quirky slang off because it fits the context. I don't know if any other show could have given us shmowzow, honestly.)
    I haven't watched much of AT but my first thought was of Daws Butler's deliberate mangling of English in the old H-B shorts