Disney's buying spree

edited 2014-11-25 18:11:23 in General
I know that prior to October 30, 2012, it looked like Lucasfilm would have to be pried from its namesake's cold, dead hands, but the Disney-Lucasfilm deal seems to have made business-ignorant nerds decide that Disney was this hungry beast with infinite money that is on the prowl to buy Nintendo, Hasbro, Time Warner, et al.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    These people do know that literally the only mega-merger they've ever done was the Capital Cities/ABC acquisition, right?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Disney overpaid, but they got it

yeah baby they got it

I'm your venus, I'm your fire
  • They say that like it's a bad thing.

All I'm seeing is Mario, Rainbow Dash and Cadpig in the next Kingdom Hearts game. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Odradek said:

yeah baby they got it

I laughed because I'm a dork

They say that like it's a bad thing.

All I'm seeing is Mario, Rainbow Dash and Cadpig in the next Kingdom Hearts game. 
    One of the interesting things about 101 Dalmatians: The Series is that, for all its faults, it could have potentially opened the door to more One Hundred and One Dalmatians worldbuilding and stuff

it's what fanfic is for I guess
    Odradek said:

yeah baby they got it

(derived from this)
  • The machinations of how corporations work is not a subject of common knowledge.
    I dunno, I'd think these people would notice a pattern (they bought Pixar in order to keep the relationship intact, Marvel and Lucasfilm were relatively affordable owners of top-tier IP - by contrast, 21st Century Fox's failed bid for Time Warner valued that company at $78 billion)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Most people don't pay as much attention as you do; at least not enough to notice patterns like that.
    Also, they're all small enough to easily integrate into the Disney empire.
  • edited 2014-11-25 23:16:08
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Most people don't pay as much attention as you do; at least not enough to notice patterns like that.

True

But I do find it interesting that we're so starved for real mega-mergers (e.g. Time-Warner, Viacom-Paramount, Disney-CapCities, Time Warner-Turner, Viacom-CBS, AOL-Time Warner, NBC-Universal) that Disney-Marvel and Disney-Lucasfilm are considered such now.
  • edited 2014-11-25 23:17:24
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Alternately: most of those involve far less shit that nerds care about, so they don't go OMG MONOPOLY over them
  • On the other hand, Disney's acquisition of Marvel made it possible for Ultron to make a Pinocchio reference in the new trailer