Welcome to the Microsoft Store!

edited 2014-11-20 12:36:48 in General
Not a hoax, not a dream, not a shitpost!

Comments

• at the MOA there is a microsoft store directly across from the apple store and it's kinda surreal because the microsoft store looks SO MUCH LIKE AN APPLE STORE except it has the windows logo
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I just fixed my post to show the image of the one opening at the Toronto Eaton Centre, and I just have to say...

I know, right?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can just feel the bad vibes going back and forth
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's still weird to me to see an obvious variation on the Windows logo used for Microsoft as a whole.
  • glennmagusharveyglennmagusharvey
    does some windowshopping
    /me does some windowshopping
  • edited 2014-11-20 14:36:44
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

It's still weird to me to see an obvious variation on the Windows logo used for Microsoft as a whole.

would it be like seeing the Swirling Star used as Cartoon Network's logo (in the days when they actually ran Hanna-Barbera cartoons of course)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

would it be like seeing the Swirling Star used as Cartoon Network's logo (in the days when they actually ran Hanna-Barbera cartoons of course)
    I guess?
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-11-21 06:08:49
    I made a Vine about an MS store a while ago, specifically the Lenox Square location down in Atlanta.

The one I visited was nice, if uncannily derivative. A friend and I played Jetpack Joyride on the Windows side of a Windows/Kinect display they put up just outside of the store.
  • edited 2014-11-25 12:36:46
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Update: I went back to the store when I was in the area today. While looking around, I noticed that most of the laptops in the store are blatant ripoffs of Apple's design aesthetic.

It kinda weirds me out, TBH.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Its like I've woken up in a very subtle parallel universe
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I am somewhat disturbed on a fundamental level. 
    I do wonder why Microsoft decided to be Fake Apple when being Stuffy Corporate Microsoft worked so well for them for so long
  • Next one coming up!
    *steals the Acer laptop and replaces it with a Macbook running Windows 8*
  • edited 2014-11-27 00:03:10
    I want a laptop that has a 15"+ swivel touchscreen and an accelerometer
    I want a laptop that works like a damn laptop and not a tablet

I already have two perfectly good tablets if that's what I wanted to use
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I do wonder why Microsoft decided to be Fake Apple when being Stuffy Corporate Microsoft worked so well for them for so long

because Apple is cooler
  • honestly i really like my tabletop and i'd get a surface 2 if i had the money
  • objective fact: the surface looks better than any apple laptop
    It took me a moment to get that "tabletop" in that sentence was a portmanteau of "tablet" and "laptop" and not "table-top" like a roleplaying game
  • naney said:

objective fact: the surface looks better than any apple laptop

i guess that makes me one of the fanboys Engadget commenters loathe so much
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I actually don't really like the look of most Apple laptops. I feel like their colour feels faded pretty much as soon as you take it out of the context of an Apple store. 

I like the sleeker darker colours that feel more like metal than like plastic on my laptops. 
    Yeah, I never really understood Apple's insistence on making things that seem like they need to be cleaned every hour to keep them looking presentable.

I guess they've gotten a bit better for that recently, but still.
    The worst were those iPods and early iPhones that had the shiny metal back that was a magnet for scratches and fingerprints.

It's like they were trying to force you to get a tacky case for them.

(Incidentally, I am amused by the fact that people put their elegantly-designed iThings in tacky plastic cases.)
  • edited 2014-11-27 11:27:51

man people FREAK THE FUCK OUT when they see that my iPhone aint in a case

like i've had random strangers come up to me and ask me about it
    That's kind of hilarious.
  • because it's an iPhone, and those crack like eggshells if you're not careful
    I've seen a bizarre number of people with cracked-up phone screens, and usually they're iPhones

Like, I don't even know how that happens; I've dropped my Galaxy S III plenty of times and the screen's just fine
  • iunno what the fuck people be doing with their phones that makes them break into a gajillion pieces

floor hockey?

squash?

do they use it as a door stop?
  • I drop my phone in its case literally a dozen times per month.

If a phone can't be dropped intentionally as a show of power and wealth, then I don't know why you'd buy it. 
  • i will say the back edges of the phone are all dinged up but i like that, it gives the thing a cozy, worn in feel
  • I drop my phone in its case literally a dozen times per month.

If a phone can't be dropped intentionally as a show of power and wealth, then I don't know why you'd buy it. 
    i just finished rewatching a series where one of the characters would do something like this just to show how disgustingly rich he is

character's name is Melt, son of Borge, of the house of Fereydun

series name is The Tower of Druaga

you should watch it; it's freakin' hilarious
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

The worst were those iPods and early iPhones that had the shiny metal back that was a magnet for scratches and fingerprints.

It's like they were trying to force you to get a tacky case for them.

(Incidentally, I am amused by the fact that people put their elegantly-designed iThings in tacky plastic cases.)
    i'm amused by all the cases that have giant holes on the back so that you can see that it's an Apple Product
  • I don't understand how Apple has maintained its image as being an alternative brand despite the fact that it is as big as it is.

Like, talk to me when you're running a computer you built yourself out of spare toaster parts that can only use Haiku OS
    My iPad case has a logohole like that. Normally I find those tacky but I got it cheap at Big Lots so I can't complain.

Also, it's made for a slightly later model so it has a hole for a nonexistent camera.
    I have a terrible case for my phone that looks like an old cassette, so it has holes where a cassette would have them.

Luckily they're in the wrong place so nobody knows it isn't an iPhone
  • if the Apple Store is the dragon's lair (or the robotic dragon's lair)

what, then, is the Microsoft Store?
    Your old boss's bad ripoff of a dragon's lair?

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    As a dragon I can say that the Apple Store's notion of what a "dragon's lair" is is way off the mark
    They've updated the traditional design of the dragon's lair to better appeal to the modern consumer
    Welcome to iLair

Please log in with your Apple ID
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My HTC One has lived its entire life in an intentionally naff-colored Otter Box case, so it's still in relatively good shape. I just wish the speakers weren't blown. :P