Gotham is the best Superhero show because it knows it's stupid

edited 2014-11-12 18:19:13 in General
Arrow, Flash, and Agents of S.H.I.T. don't

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    you really don't like these comic book superhero shows do you
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    no intelligent person does
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I'm sorry, I just can't accept the idea of a Batman show that doesn't actually feature Batman.
  • something something i don't like superheroes whatever
  • Lilly said:

I'm sorry, I just can't accept the idea of a Batman show that doesn't actually feature Batman.

• edited 2014-11-12 19:54:28
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I hate you so much right now.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Dude, dude, it has a balloon-based serial killer.

I don't get anything like that out of your shitty Joss Whedon snarkfest.
    Lilly said:

It has BabyBat
  • Odradek said:

Ming-Na Wen.

Lame
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm not mad about you insulting Agents of SHIELD. That thing is probably trash.

I'm mad about you comparing Arrow and Flash to that awful Gotham.
    It has problems, but we must give it at least five years to overcome these problems, as is Superhero Show etiquette
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    seeing the big ABC logo in that S.H.I.E.L.D. gif is weird to me

ABC seems too dull and too much like a non-entity to really jibe with Marvel
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

Dude, dude, it has a balloon-based serial killer.

isn't it actually mostly joss whedon's brother
    EXACTLY
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

no intelligent person does

Well I guess I'm just not as smart as you, Imi.

Sorry I can't be so clever and wise.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    GOTHAM'S ORPHANS ARE ALL WHITE AND CLEAN AND THEY WEAR NEWSBOY CAPS

THAT'S NOT GOTHAM CITY

THAT'S THE NEWSIES
    Newsies has some catchy tunes
    I say in my peerless wisdom
    1345598872_8-starsbigbreaks-640.jpg
  • edited 2014-11-12 21:25:53
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

GOTHAM'S ORPHANS ARE ALL WHITE AND CLEAN AND THEY WEAR NEWSBOY CAPS

THAT'S NOT GOTHAM CITY

THAT'S THE NEWSIES
    Yeah, for what is presumably a large city (which tend to be centers of trade and exchanged goods, and thus human movement), Gotham's dangitiwasgoingsomewherewiththissentenceohdangitblargh.

Anyways, you know how in shows about Rome in the time of the Empire, everyone is white?  What's up with that?  Rome was a huge city, a center of trade and exchanged goods, a crossroads of much of the Mediterranean at that time; why the heck would it not have people from all around the lands near the Mediterranean in it and in fact IT DID.

Septimus Severus, Emperor of Rome, was the son of a senator, Publius Septimus Geta, of "libyan-berber" origin, or in other words, most likely of Libyan stock.

That makes Severus likely either black or mixed race (depending on the ethnicity of his mother), and his sons, who were both emperors (and Caracalla was emperor for a long time, and was one of the notable emperors.  Geta was emperor for two years before Caracalla had him killed) would, by this actually pretty probable assertion, have been considered black in 1950's alabama.

Why the heck wouldn't there be a multiplicity of ethnicities in a major trade center and crossroads?  I'm not saying Rome was egalitarian at all, but I'm saying it's weird how history shows forget that the Mediterranean is not some impassible border separating Europe from Africa.

So, let's look at an image of Caracalla to figure out his ethnicity:

Oh, that didn't help at all.
  • Berbers weren't and aren't generally black, Aliroz.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_people)
  • But yeah, people should be all kinds of ethnicities in Rome.  Even Chinese people came to Rome.
  • edited 2014-11-12 21:31:55
    (2015 self)
    Darns it, that's a hole in that idea.  Curse my lack of knowledge!

Anyways, another picture of Caracalla, this time with his brother, mother, and dad.

Well, dang, it seems Geta's facial features are indicative of the rare genotype of COMPLETELY RUINED HA HA DAMNATIO MEMORIAE.
    Morven said:

But yeah, people should be all kinds of ethnicities in Rome.  Even Chinese people came to Rome.

Yeah, even if Septimus Severus's family weren't of melanistic skin tone, there still was a multiplicity of ethnicities in Rome.
  • It's quite likely he was a bit darker than the average Roman, though, having said that. 
  • edited 2014-11-12 21:43:31
    (2015 self)
    So why the heck should Gotham's orphans be uniformly lacking in melanin?
  • Because bleach.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Morven said:

Because bleach.

That just raises more questions.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's all the evil plot of dreaded supervillain, The Whitewasher.
    I was overselling it when I said they were all white (they're just mostly white), but really it was ridiculous. They didn't look like poor orphans at all, they looked like some kid actors pulled in to play orphans.

Suspension of disbelief ruined.
  • I was overselling it when I said they were all white (they're just mostly white), but really it was ridiculous. They didn't look like poor orphans at all, they looked like some kid actors pulled in to play orphans.

im willing to bet this is because they are kid actors playing orphans
    Yes, but I'm not blaming the kids, you understand.

I'm blaming the costuming, the set, the props, the makeup, and the direction. There's probably other stuff to blame. But that's what I mean.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think it's a stylisation thing. It's not meant to be realistic, but like something from a pulp comic book from the '40s. Hence, the caps and pleading look. It goes along with the other silly period stuff.

Now you've got me thinking of the period-accurate gangster slang in the Baccano! dub. Hm.
    But like doesn't make any sense. It's not set in the forties.

At best, it's set in the early 2000's. In fact, I'd say it's set in 2014 because I think I remember a smartphone.
  • now Crackers, there's no reason to assume it's set in 2014 just because there's a smartphone.

It could be set in 2013. Or even 2012!
  • edited 2014-11-13 01:18:00
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Like I can accept "weird fantasy decade amalgamations" like say with Burton's Batman Returns. Which had tuxedoes and masquerade balls and lots of neoclassical buildings but also computers.

This is just like with Wolverine Origins. Supposedly set in the Seventies, but with flatscreens, among other things.
  • edited 2014-11-13 01:16:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

But like doesn't make any sense. It's not set in the forties.

At best, it's set in the early 2000's. In fact, I'd say it's set in 2014 because I think I remember a smartphone.
    If it's Batman's back-story and we assume that Batman operates in the modern day and is somewhere in his forties or even his early fifties (because training and having a business empire takes time), then that would put the show somewhere in the '70s. That said, Batman has been around since before the Second World War and his villains have always had a vintage mobster vibe to them, so the aesthetic makes a weird kind of sense even if the logic is more "kid with coloured pencils" than anything realistic.

Which goes to Odradek's point: It is silly and it knows that it is silly and makes no bones about that fact, which goes to its credit. But it is still very silly.

^ Ah, so it's not that it's silly, but that it's inconsistent aesthetically?
    Yes, it's inconsistent aesthetically.

No, it does not know it's stupid. It thinks it's Nolan but it's just dumb. It thinks it has hard choices and good intrigue but it doesn’t. It's all brainless, not even with a hint of a sense of self-awareness. It doesn't have one sense in it's empty head.
    Myrm, do you have your counter-argument ready?

*cameras turn dramatically*
  • It thinks it's Nolan but it's just dumb.

i wanna snark but im just hungry
    I'll watch anything that even seems like it's in on the joke. I know it when I see it.

And it's just not here.
    needs more CIA and Masketta Man
  • edited 2014-11-13 01:28:15
    Nolan's Batman told too much and showed me too little and it's become this horrible shambling pop cultural monstrosity but at least I still feel that they had something to say.

I at least feel like they were all decent movies worth watching once or twice.
    naney said:

It thinks it's Nolan but it's just dumb.

Nolan is perfectly capable of being clever. He just thinks he's cleverer than he actually is, which is entirely different. And it doesn't help that when he is clever, it sometimes just goes right over people's heads. Like the end of Inception, where there *is* an open question, but most people ask the wrong one because they don't get it or don't want to accept it.
  • naney said:

It thinks it's Nolan but it's just dumb.

Nolan is perfectly capable of being clever. He just thinks he's cleverer than he actually is, which is entirely different. And it doesn't help that when he is clever, it sometimes just goes right over people's heads. Like the end of Inception, where there *is* an open question, but most people ask the wrong one because they don't get it or don't want to accept it.
    (*mumbles incoherently*) OUT OF THE PLANE (*gestures leftwards and laughs*)
    Oh, shut up.
    The things he's clever with are the things he doesn't realize at all.
  • that was actually what i did when trying to articulate a response

im in a weird mood k
  • and now my folks are grumpy at me for talking to myself too loudly 8<