Anti-dog bias

edited 2014-10-21 05:20:43 in General
People always say that things are "the cat's meow", not "the dog's howl".

Comments

• That's because cats have the ultimate in PR, thanks to their mastery of social media. They don't even have to do anything (which is just the way they like it), people just make memes out of them.
  • edited 2014-10-21 06:01:04
    I never say things are "the cat's meow".  I don't even know what that phrase means.  Though I've heard it before.

Even if I did know what it means, though, I probably wouldn't use it, since it just doesn't make much sense.
  • Also, Nintendo is pro-dog, since they have more legendary dog mons (raikou/entei/whoeverelse) than cat mons (e.g. mew and mew2).  Also Nintendogs.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I always say "the bee's knees"
  • I always say "good".  It's easier to type and doesn't look ridiculous.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's boring, though
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    They do say "the dog's bollocks" in Commonwealth countries.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    People also wolf-whistle, though I suppose that has a fairly negative connotation most of the time...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I inextricably link wolf-whistling with Tex Avery's Big Bad Wolf
  • edited 2014-10-22 04:28:05
    i think i just noticed an unintended but additionally more insulting implication to a wolf-whistle directed at a female human

it characterizes said female human as a female dog
    I actually might say that it's the opposite implication. I've tended to feel that wolf-whistling is characterizing the whistler as a wolf who's out on a "hunt" for attractive women or something? It's not whistling at the woman because she's a "wolf," but you're whistling because you're the "wolf."

Wolves also tend to be viewed as powerful and masculine, so I don't think that's something that would traditionally be associated with women and femininity back when the phrase was originally coined. 
  • edited 2014-10-22 04:34:36
    Fair enough, but I was thinking of the "pun" (if you could call it that) on the term "bitch", and trying to relate that meaningfully.
    Yeah, I definitely see what you were getting at there, and I also don't think it's entirely wrong since we DO whistle at dogs to call them, which is a pretty clear parallel. 

It can be argued either way - or even argued that it implies both at once.
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-10-22 21:05:42

El Kabong said:

People always say that things are "the cat's meow", not "the dog's howl".

I think I am more inclined to say "the cat's pajamas" in that kind of situation, but I suppose that sort of helps prove your point.

Honestly, my impression is that there is not really much of a disparity between how many people express fondness for cats and how many people mention liking dogs online. Cats have the meme advantage in some ways, but I feel like "doge" is a good counterexample and the popularity of corgis online makes me question whether there really is an anti-dog bias.
  • edited 2014-10-22 22:10:19
    there is a pro-charismatic-non-human-animal bias
    There SHOULD be a greater amount of pro-axolotl bias, because axolotls are fantastic. 
    Virginia said:

there is a pro-charismatic-non-human-animal bias

Naturally. What forum do you think you're on?

eriophora said:

There SHOULD be a greater amount of pro-axolotl bias, because axolotls are fantastic. 

Yes.
  • edited 2014-10-23 03:42:53
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Incidentally, the metaphorical use of the word "wolf" had a number of distinct implications throughout history, most focused on the theme of mordant desire and hunger. My favourite is probably the very old gay slang use—a very dominant and prepossessing man on the prowl—for somewhat self-evident reasons. 0vvvv0

Although the ones that reference the Gospel of Mark are also interesting.
  • I thought this was a place for coelecanth, fruit fly, opilionoid, and marsh grass fans.
  • My favourite is probably the very old gay slang use—a very dominant and prepossessing man on the prowl—for somewhat self-evident reasons. 0vvvv0

you

are a dork
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    canned coelacanth
    naney said:

My favourite is probably the very old gay slang use—a very dominant and prepossessing man on the prowl—for somewhat self-evident reasons. 0vvvv0

you

are a dork
    *nibbles*