Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    tell them not to make any games with endless cutscenes and voice actors
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    not even Frank Welker?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    El Kabong said:

Tell me, how the fuck do you run a video game developer

Into the ground/like a mean machine/up a tree.
    sometimes I wonder if Rare was even that good and if people just trump up how great they were out of nostalgia
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    they did some good stuff
    Replaying Banjo-Tooie

I forgot how fucking long the opening cutscene was

Also, Bottles just died
    So I should just hand the operations of all ABC Warner game assets to Ubisoft?
  • you could

but you might not want to
    ABC likes to own and control everything
    I doubt I can play Rare collectathons for long periods of time before getting bored of them

B-K and B-T do have humor, but the gameplay does start to feel oddly procedural (I imagine the same would go for DK64 if I revisited it)
    I don't remember Diddy Kong Racing having that procedural feeling, but it does seem to have a lot of that offbeat flavor people love Rare for (probably due to the sheer WTF of the game's very existence)
    you know the problem is probably that Glitter Gulch Mine is duedly boring and I want to get to Witchyworld but am worried about the game eating my time right now
  • dkc series games are cool

esp 1 & 2
  • Virginia said:

dkc series games are cool

esp 1 & 2

Yeah was gonna say that. Always preferred 2 & 3 more than one. But yeah, not sure about Rare's N64 games, since I missed out on those, but the fact that I've been playing their super Nintendo platformers for 18 years speaks highly of their work.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-10-21 11:57:00
    Having played Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, and Killer Instinct Gold in recent years, yes they did more than collectathons on N64 and they were indeed good.

DK64 was admittedly kind of formulaic, moreso than the Banjo games.  It didn't help that 3/4 of the bananas were isolated minigames rather than worked into the world at all.  Instead of "do this thing to get the banana", it was "do this smaller thing so you can get to the minigame barrel that has the banana".  Most of the minigames were kind of bad, and having to explore each level in full five times got old.

Loved the Banjo games though.

Still, <X company> buying Rare doesn't really mean anything because Microsoft already gutted the staff and philosophy that made them who they were.  It's really just a building these days.
    A building and an intellectual property holder. This is why ABC Warner (my imaginary company) is "buying" Rare.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Feelio when no new Jet Force Gemini game