Anime is a serious artform, and should be treated as such

edited 2014-10-19 15:33:56 in General

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I know I'm going all "serious argument, dumb thread" here, but I really think that animation has received a bit of a short shrift as an art form until relatively recently, and as annoying as the weeb squad are, I can't say that they're technically wrong about anime having the potential to be high art. I just think that they're wrong about, well, basically everything else ever.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I know I'm going all "serious argument, dumb thread" here, but I really think that animation has received a bit of a short shrift as an art form until relatively recently, and as annoying as the weeb squad are, I can't say that they're technically wrong about anime having the potential to be high art. I just think that they're wrong about, well, basically everything else ever.

I am bein' silly and the weeb squad are indeed right about this.

Alternative response

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I know animation is very, very broad, but it still seems like the American industry is dominated by jerks who see animation as nothing more than a vehicle for peddling things to children or as a medium for filler between Taco Bell ads aimed at college-aged males.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    El Kabong said:

I know animation is very, very broad, but it still seems like the American industry is dominated by jerks who see animation as nothing more than a vehicle for peddling things to children or as a medium for filler between Taco Bell ads aimed at college-aged males.

While there are exceptions, it does seem like the sitcom is the only sort of adult-targeted animation to thrive in North America that isn't an import product.
  • edited 2014-10-19 18:32:53

King of the Hill is easily one of the greatest shows in television history
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Yep
  • Which is funny because I usually hate it when animated shows are overly realistic. It makes me feel that they're not taking advantage of the medium.
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-10-19 22:06:56

I definitely agree that animation has received a bit of a short shrift, especially in the West. Whether or not it has the potential to be "high art" is not a question I am qualified to answer, but I certainly would welcome more diversity in Western (and Eastern) animated shows. I think the animation age ghetto (to use a TVT term) problem that Anonus highlights is still an issue and I have my doubts about whether the existence of Adult Swim/Comedy Central animated stuff as a counterbalance to children's cartoons adequately addresses that problem.

Which is funny because I usually hate it when animated shows are overly realistic. It makes me feel that they're not taking advantage of the medium.

I think it just goes to show that animation is a means for telling a story just like any other means. I agree with the idea that certain types of shows (e.g., ones based on random or gag humor like Cromartie High School or Nichijou) are an especially good fit for that medium though.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm pretty sure the seasons of Space Ghost Coast to Coast that aired on the main Cartoon Network were more "adult" than most of what made its premiere on Adult Swim...