The following shows turn 20 in 2017

edited 2014-10-16 21:20:42 in General
  • Cow and Chicken
  • Johnny Bravo
  • The Angry Beavers
  • Recess
  • Pepper Ann
  • 101 Dalmatians: The Series

Which of these shows is the most likely to be deemed Art?
Tagged:

Comments

• all but one of these is either awful or not something I've ever seen and even the one that's alright is unlikely to be deemed Art because it is rare for okay cartoons to be deemed Art.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    hipster :P
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Art? I mean, technically all of them, but only a few of those are really of any interest to me.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    kill your tv

Art? I mean, technically all of them, but only a few of those are really of any interest to me.

so you don't differentiate between art and Art, I guess
    If you mean high and low art, then I do and I don't. A clumsy drawing of two insurance mascots making out is not art in the same way as a Giacometti head sculpture or an exploitation flick or a symphony or an episode of Rocko's Modern Life, but it's still art in its own way. It's just not necessarily good art.
  • edited 2014-10-16 22:24:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    But yeah, if you mean GREAT AND IMPORTANT ART, I get the feeling that too few people care about the good shows on that list for it to matter and none of them are really striking or detailed enough from a design perspective to be showpieces even if they are appealing and well-written.

There are certainly animated films that will get that treatment, and a handful of series, but critical respect is not the same as canonisation beyond the boundaries of the medium.
  • edited 2014-10-16 22:27:51
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I like that Johnny Bravo involved the old MGM/Hanna-Barbera design master Ed Benedict...and I am one of three people who actually likes David Feiss's style...
    (the fun thing about the shorts produced in the last few years of the MGM cartoon studio's existence is that you can see Hanna-Barbera's house style emerging)
    Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't look good. It looks great. I'm just saying that it's not knock-down-drag-out visually impressive in the way that something like Sleeping Beauty or Princess Mononoke is.
  • A clumsy drawing of two insurance mascots making out is not art in the same way as a Giacometti head sculpture

u sure
    Well, Damien Hirst might make a gallery show out of it, but he's tacky and running out of interesting jokes.
    Although I would take him over the Stuckist weenies any day.
    what makes them weenies?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Butt-ugly Martians
  • edited 2014-10-17 15:41:25
    That show is from 2001 and it will never be Art
  • butt ugly martians is the greatest television show of the 2000s

deal w it nerd
  • Angry beavers is definitely Art Okay
  • edited 2014-10-17 16:03:39

i only know of angry beavers because of JohnOfE

who is actually a secondhand acquaintance of mine

kinda like a more dubious furry version of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon
  • glennmagusharveyglennmagusharvey
    increases thermostat of current room in which Kevin Bacon is located, by six degrees
    /me increases thermostat of current room in which Kevin Bacon is located, by six degrees
  • Bonus question: Celsius or Fahrenheit?
    Kelvin
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kelvins aren't called "degrees" though

/pedant
    Oh fine, SMARTY PANTS
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That's SMARTY DRESS to you

*flaunts femininity*
  • edited 2014-10-17 16:37:43
    El Kabong said:

Kelvin

you could have picked celsius, fahrenheit, rankine, rømer, réaumur, newton, or delisle, but you had to pick that one that was NOT degrees, didn't you
    π/30 radians of Kevin Bacon
  • but radians are nondimensional so they can just disappear and appear at will

Angry beavers is definitely Art Okay

I loved Angry Beavers.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    kelvin intervals are the same as centigrade intervals tho
    oh hey, i guess it's 2017 now
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is 50.
  • edited 2017-07-06 23:35:22
    Ruff and Reddy is 60
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I have only seen the last one on that list, and it was actually really fun and good.
    and Under the Volcano is 70, and The Hobbit is 80.

We could go on
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Star Wars is 40.
    Coleridge's Biographia Literaria is 200

suck it