The Many Different Microsoft Products Called "Outlook"

edited 2014-09-14 17:17:31 in General
Microsoft Outlook

Introduced: 1997
Also known as: Microsoft Office Outlook (2003 and 2007 releases)

Email client and personal information manager. Superseded Microsoft Schedule+ calendar program and Microsoft Exchange Client email program.

Outlook Express

Introduced: 1996
Discontinued: 2001
Also known as: Microsoft Internet Mail and News (1996-97)

Email and USENET client bundled with Internet Explorer. Despite the name, it was not a stripped-down version of Microsoft Office's Outlook, but rather a completely unrelated program.

Outlook Web App

Introduced: 1995
Also known as: Exchange Web Connect (1995-97), Outlook Web Access (1997-2010)

Webmail service bundled with Microsoft Exchange Server. Most easily recognized as the webmail service used by Microsoft's Office 365 for Education package that every college in the world seems to be using these days.

Outlook.com
Introduced: 1996 (as Hotmail), 2012 (as Outlook.com)
Also known as: Hotmail (1996-2013)

Rebranding of the long-established Hotmail webmail service. The two brands were briefly used side-by-side, though as of last year the Hotmail brand seems to have been retired. (Obviously, old @hotmail.com addresses can be kept.)

Tagged:

Comments

• The outlook on this usage is unclear.
  • see also: Microsoft's failed attempt to expand the "LIVE" brand beyond the Xbox division
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tre said:

see also: Microsoft's failed attempt to expand the "LIVE" brand beyond the Xbox division

That could almost be a whole separate thread

Not to mention the mess that is MSN Search Windows Live Bing's branding history
  • Microsoft is obsessed with this kind of thing.  Remember when everything was "Active!"
  • re: MS nomenclature: I wish BSkyB weren't such greedy trademark bums, SkyDrive was a hella better name than OneDrive is (and makes the "cloud" aspect of things a little more clear).

Also, apparently OneDrive is seven years old, which is news to me. I only remember it becoming a distinct thing after it dropped the Windows Live name in 2010-11ish.
  • edited 2014-09-16 16:53:34
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    They probably could have kept SkyDrive IFF they were going to use it in the US (and possibly Canada), but I get the feeling that's not the case.
  • As international of a company MS is? Hell no. :P
  • kill living beings
    ubuntu's cloud thing is "Ubuntu One". i don't know what's so great about ones
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "One" seems to be Microsoft's Brand of the Moment right now. OneNote, OneDrive, Xbox One...
  • kill living beings
    one note, huh. jokes write themselves
    I know, right?
    I remember being mildly irritated that OneNote 2010's icon was an N

I assumed it was because Outlook was O, but they didn't have a problem using P for both PowerPoint and Publisher
  • o/` and then one day
    we'll all be one
    think of me, when you see the sun or feel the wind~ o/`
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I assumed it was because Outlook was O, but they didn't have a problem using P for both PowerPoint and Publisher

It wasn't an N, it was an N and an 1 ligatured together
  • Writer = W
    Calc = C
    Impress = I
  • as of now, however, it really is just an N

Anonus said:

It wasn't an N, it was an N and an 1 ligatured together
    I would have never figured that out. I just assumed it was a serif, in keeping with the ugliness of the other letters.

Tre said:

as of now, however, it really is just an N

Also, Excel is just "X" now, instead of the old "XL" monogram. :<
    Personally I liked the Office 2007 icons:

They had a bit of unnecessary gloss to them, yes, but aside from Word and Excel having their iconic W and XL, they relied on graphic representations of the apps' functions instead of just letters.
  • Also, Excel is just "X" now, instead of the old "XL" monogram. :<

I guess XL was too big.