Scooby-Doo's hung around for 45 years

edited 2014-09-02 01:01:27 in General
Why's that franchise so popular?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    because people are stupid
  • simple, memorable concept, broadly written, flexible characters, doesn't take itself all that seriously

plus a wee bit of happenstance
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You seem to have a particular hang-up about this franchise, AU
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

You seem to have a particular hang-up about this franchise, AU

I kind of do, is that bad?

I don't really despise it or anything, but find its nearly-unrivaled endurance a bit strange
  • it makes perfect sense, for the reasons i outlined
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it makes perfect sense, for the reasons i outlined
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I confess: I mentally compare it to older, more visually-appealing H-B franchises

This is probably irrational, though
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've mentioned this to you before, but I might as well drop it off in here:

The teenagers in Scooby-Doo spend all their free time cruising around the country in The Mystery Machine without having any parental or authority figures around telling them what to do.

In the process, they exemplify the freedom that kids feel they'll have once they're old enough to provide for themselves. This yearning for freedom is a huge part of the childhood experience, and no children's cartoon responds to this yearning as well as Scooby does. As a result of this, there will always be a place for it within the pop cultural landscape.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What my beau and Section said sums it up pretty well. Camp is also a factor.